Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The missus just brought through a packet of Cadbury mini-rolls and I complimented her on their uniformity although the sponge was over cooked. Cut a long story short I'm sleeping on the couch tonight.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good to be back :). See you next week folks!
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    The history bit is back next week! Thank god for that, other than its absence it was an excellent start to the series, no obvious changes made for the channel move.

Early favourites - Norman, Nancy, Martha and Chetna.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if the viewing figures will be better on BBC 1.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,895
    Forum Member
    oohhhhh these previews give FAR too much away.

I agree. I think in future I'm going to switch off after the result and avoid the first five minutes too to avoid seeing too much.
  • Options
    DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be out on Friday so will have to watch The Extra Slice on catch-up, but see you back here next week for biscuits!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it fab?! Some of those cakes looked scrummy! Yum!
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I want to know is........................................

is that wee black lamb ever going to find it's mum :confused::D
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame that An Extra Slice isn't directly after the show but I'm sure I'll be watching.

They seem to have opted for more 'characters' than usual or am I imagining it. I did enjoy the first show and no unnecessary changes.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is that wee black lamb ever going to find it's mum :confused::D
    Well, at some point they're going to be doing savoury pies so...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I'm glad they all seem a cheery bunch this year. Having the spin-off show on Friday nights seem a bit anti-climactic though. It should be on BBC2 right after the main show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    Oh, I'm right there with you, although I prefer a stolen custard / green carpet / accidental salt instead of sugar type disaster over a simple "this person is useless, doesn't appear to be able to bake and shouldn't have got through to the televised stage" disaster which makes it seem they're only here for the car-crash entertainment value.

When they were dusting their Swiss Rolls tonight I was praying someone was using salt, but alas!

Stolen custard was my favourite ever saga.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Gay contestants this year ?
    Don't want the sensibilities of the BBC1 viewer upset maybe.....or perhaps some surprises to come
  • Options
    EighthoursEighthours Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Colin Hunt was well lucky to survive Bake Off this week. As was the wildling bloke from North of the Wall.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    No Gay contestants this year ?
    Don't want the sensibilities of the BBC1 viewer upset maybe.....or perhaps some surprises to come
    I'll be honest, I noticed that too, but I doubt it was a conscious decision on behalf of the production.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest, I noticed that too, but I doubt it was a conscious decision on behalf of the production.

Every single bit of casting for this show is always a very conscious decision, especailly around ethnicity. It certainly struck me as odd that a show that once had more than its fair share of gay male contestants appears to have been 'de-gayed'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I liked Martha. She looks like she goes to St Elmo's and has midnight feasts with The Four Marys. I also liked Nancy. I loved the way she just got with it and crushed her nuts when they went a bit wrong and pretended they were meant to be that way all along. It's that kind of sang froid that won us the war.

I find hair-slides on anyone over the age of seven a bit creepy. I'm also not sure about Iain's beard. Beards just remind me of Mr Twit and that puts me off the thought of food.
  • Options
    amelia99amelia99 Posts: 5,642
    Forum Member
    Maybe being gay is just too dull these days. They definitely seem to have gone for some "characters" this year. And in Jordan's case I really wish they hadn't. By the second bake I just wanted to stab him to death with his stupid yellow hair grip.
  • Options
    amelia99amelia99 Posts: 5,642
    Forum Member
    I liked Martha. She looks like she goes to St Elmo's and has midnight feasts with The Four Marys. I also liked Nancy. I loved the way she just got with it and crushed her nuts when they went a bit wrong and pretended they were meant to be that way all along. It's that kind of sang froid that won us the war.

I find hair-slides on anyone over the age of seven a bit creepy. I'm also not sure about Iain's beard. Beards just remind me of Mr Twit and that puts me off the thought of food.

With you all the way on your assessment so far!
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad they all seem a cheery bunch this year. Having the spin-off show on Friday nights seem a bit anti-climactic though. It should be on BBC2 right after the main show.
    I agree - what's the point of having the (presumed) exit interview with the departing baker 2 whole days after the main show. Was it really completely impossible to put it in the 9pm or 10pm slot on BBC2? Really odd decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB that takes me back more years than I care to remember! Martha was delighful. I loved her bedroom and all the Cath Kidston furnishings. In this first ep., Martha was a delight and such a contrast to last year's youngster Ruby who was all doom and gloom and downright bloody miserable from the start.

Mr Twit is not a very nice man! If you are a fan of RD you should see Matilda the Musical. It's brilliant.

The little lamb was the sweetest littlie thing - very Wiliam Blake.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    Can't wait for my book to arrive in the next couple of weeks, I've had it on pre-order for the last year and a bit... Finally got notified that it is coming out... Can't believe I pre-ordered it that long ago too... It didnt' even have any details, just a page that said the title, and a blank book

I hear you

I'm even sad enough to pay for the next day delivery. This will be my 6th Bake Off related book :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear you

I'm even sad enough to pay for the next day delivery. This will be my 6th Bake Off related book :blush:

Do you do a lot of baking? Can you recommend Mary Berry's best book? I'm only inspired to bake when I see the GBBO!
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Do you do a lot of baking? Can you recommend Mary Berry's best book? I'm only inspired to bake when I see the GBBO!

I do a lot of baking and I also love cookbooks. Unfortunately I don't own any of Mary Berry's books but if I had to order one it would be this:

Mary Berry's Baking Bible

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mary-Berrys-Baking-Bible-Berry/dp/1846077850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407366852&sr=8-1&keywords=mary+berry+baking+bible

I'm sure some of the other posters can give you the answer you're looking for.