Options

Do you speak to your pet like it's a baby ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    :D- She sounds a lovely little character.

ha ha yes she is. Actually she's just brought in a live mouse and I've had to rescue it and let it go. However, it was obviouisly a present for me so now I'm having to pretend I've eaten it and really enjoyed it. Now I'm seriously thinking I should be sectioned!!
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She sounds wonderful!

My puss used to flop over and do 'dead body' as you call it, until she got attention ^_^ She also used to flop on her back and put her fore paws up like two hooks when she wanted belly rubs

Aw bless. Yes just like mine. They really are characters. She's now sleeping in my suitcase I've just got down from the top of the wardrobe as I'm going on holiday in a few days. As soon as she sees that case she's in it for days!
  • Options
    kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been known in the past to treat my jack russell like a child where i would baby it and pick it up of the ground lol. :blush:
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes yes and I talk to my cat generally how I would talk to anyone,we have long in depth conversations (mainly me talking and him the occasional meow) :D
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't use baby talk but I do sometimes talk in a squeaky voice :D and sometimes I do the Ministry of Silly Walks for her.
    But she is sworn to secrecy..... ;-)
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say I kinda talk to her like she's a young child, not the staffy pit bull "killer dog" that people think she is when they see her.

ok I baby her guilty as charged, but she's had a bad start in life until we brought her home.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    seanf wrote: »
    I'd say I kinda talk to her like she's a young child, not the staffy pit bull "killer dog" that people think she is when they see her.

ok I baby her guilty as charged, but she's had a bad start in life until we brought her home.

:) Good for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a baby, more like a young child. It's not like he's going to answer back except in meows, so I don't see he point in talking to him like an adult :D
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do speak to my dogs as if they are babies.They have all been dobermanns we are now on our 4th. When I come home I'll say'hello darling have you been a good girlie?'

My daughter makes me laugh she talks back for the dog in a funny accent .

When my son visits the first thing he does is to bend down and kiss the dog but I'm the only one who uses a baby voice.Sorry folks I know I'm probably odd.
  • Options
    Directioner_HazDirectioner_Haz Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Yes I do. I tell my 18 month old Hamster that she is Mummy's precious little girl and I kiss her on her stomach and head every night (it's a superstition-related thing). My friends think I'm mad
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,006
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, I totally do this.

Since our Bungle went missing four weeks ago my Dad came home with a male kitten last Thursday night (he was a surprise that my parents had planned for at least three days) called Rory and I do speak to him like a baby. He is a baby, he's 9 and a half weeks old.

Still no sign of Bungle sadly. We've done everything that we can. We've neutered her, micro-chipped her, taken her for her vaccinations when required, fed her the best food that there is, loved and cared for her, given her a collar and informed every vet in the area that she's missing as well as putting out posters and informing all surrounding people that she's gone. Now it's just a case of calling at the back door and hoping that she comes running in.

:(

Rory is definitely keeping us busy though. He's a naughty little so-and-so.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 3 cats. We do speak to the cats. Not as if they're babies though. I talk to them as if they can understand what I'm saying. Which sometimes they can, actually. Listening to OH talking to them can be quite funny though. The middle one brings in dead bodies of things and eats them in the kitchen and yesterday I overheard him saying to her in a perfectly ordinary voice:

Well, if you're going to eat it hurry up and eat it and don't leave a mess and don't bring any more in, and if you want to do something really useful why don't you eat a few ants.
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    yup I do to my cockatiel , he responds to it better than normal talk lol

We have a male cockatiel as well. DH and I talk babytalk to him all the time, and to our lovebird and budgies as well. We can't help it; they are our winged children after all! :D

I talk to the birds outside, too. I have to remember to check if there is anyone around, though, otherwise an eavesdropper would have me pegged as needing psychiatric intervention.

Don't use babytalk while talking to the starlings, seagulls or song sparrows, though.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I have to say I certainly don't speak to my cat like that. But just wandered down to the mini supermarket to get some eggs, and heard a woman speak to her poodle who was out in the front garden - she was saying in a really stupid simpering voice, "C'mon then, come to Mummy. Is little baby coming to his Mummy for a little cuddle then"

I got to wondering how others speak to their pets, if indeed, they speak to them at all.

The cat doesn't respond to her name being called, but if I shout "Are you hungry ?" she comes belting back from wherever, at a rate of knots. Those are words she recognises. So I've decided that will be her name from now on when I call her. .

I must admit I speak to my cats in that "baby" speak. My husband thinks I'm stupid, lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Guilty as charged! :) They seem to love my high pitched nonsense baby-talk....:o
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't do the mummy/baby talk because
    a. I'm not his mummy
    b. He's not a baby

That's about as far as it goes regarding human rationale though, because we do have extensive meowing sessions.
    He loves the whole drama of darting around me and flopping on the floor belly-up, meowing loudly when I get home and I kind of respond accordingly. He clearly enjoys this little ritual but I wouldn't have a clue what I'm actually saying to him during these sessions.

He does always insist on getting the last meow in there. Who am I to argue this point :D
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,689
    Forum Member
    hehe yes I do :)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do. Only to my cats though, not to my tortoise. I speak quite streetwise to my tortoise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Yes I do. Only to my cats though, not to my tortoise. I speak quite streetwise to my tortoise.

hahaha! The tortoise really does inspire street wise talk in my opinion!

I talk to my cats in a higher pitch than I'd speak to a human. But one of them responds loudly, so I have to keep doing it! He loves a good chat.
    He also requires me to bend down a bit so that he can touch my face with his paw when I get home. I tried to teach him to high-5 instead but he didn't like that game so just touches my face and will follow me around until he's done it! Think he's a bit OCD...

The other one doesn't have much of a voice so she'll just mouth a "miaow" at me.
    The last one is very vocal too. But I think the main gist of his conversation is "feed me" or stroke me".
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We became Mummy & Daddy the day we got our cat!

We are lame :o

I also refer to the cat as my Son's hairy sister.

We draw the line at actual baby speak though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    We are guilty of this,we talk to our dog in baby voices,call him lots of little nicknames.Embarassingly I sometimes do his voice as I imagine him to sound talking back to me.Never when im alone though,its more to make the kids laugh :)
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's just basic common sense, surely?