Options

Tumble (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering that he took 18 months off training after the Olympics and only started training late last year, I think his "lowly bronze" was an achievement. He was delighted to be accepted back into the English team for the Games and proved his worth in a competition that was world class.

I was most impressed with the show and wish some of you naysayers could be taken off for 8 weeks to try what the celebs did. I found absolutely nothing to complain about at all and am looking forward to next week.

There appeared to be plenty of kids in the audience enjoying it which suggests it is the classic 'family entertainment' and it might encourage some of them to have a go at gymnastic themselves.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if I was in charge of BBC One, I would have shows that don't involve celebrities for a change, Wonder if Noel would fancy doing House Party again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    Glad I recorded this, because I spent most of the time fast-forwarding so I could just watch the routines. Each of which received universal praise from the judges, who then scored them low for some reason. Not that I cared by that point - did anyone?
    Surely better to praise the good parts and encourage first before giving a (hopefully) honest mark rather than Craig thingy on Strictly Come Dancing who even from the first in the series does his best to destroy the contestants' confidence by being highly critical of every aspect of their performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is - Beth Tweddle has retired. Do we think she's still training enough to perform a show-stopping performance next week? I'd have thought if you even took a month or so off, you'd be in a pretty bad way.
    natalian wrote: »
    I think she has still been training. I remember her saying something when interviewed about it being dangerous to stop abruptly so she had to keep training for a while.

I expected this to be a disaaaarstar, mainly because I anticipated that the skills involved would be too difficult for the celebs to learn to a standard that would enable them to do a half decent routine in a few weeks. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the standard achieved by most of them.

I think she also said she wanted to study a sports related subject and keep an involvement in gymnastics so it is likely she has continued to train even if not to the same level as when in competition. She is probably a lot fitter than any of us here, especially the keyboard warriors. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if I was in charge of BBC One, I would have shows that don't involve celebrities for a change, Wonder if Noel would fancy doing House Party again?

I seem to remember that House Party had some members of the public but also celebrities of various types taking part every week.
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're late to the party, I was saying Ruby Wax's efforts way back when would likely shame this bunch.

Alex Jones must be lapdancing for BBC programming directors to keep her job and get more work despite being utterly terrible at everything but stroking her own hair and smiling on command.
    I saw Alex compering/presenting the concert at Edinburgh Castle a few weeks ago and she wasn't very good.... it was also shown on BBC. I like her as a person as she seems warm and friendly but she's not good at presenting live shows. She's everywhere including on Radio 2 as a stand-in for holiday cover.
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're late to the party, I was saying Ruby Wax's efforts way back when would likely shame this bunch.

Alex Jones must be lapdancing for BBC programming directors to keep her job and get more work despite being utterly terrible at everything but stroking her own hair and smiling on command.
    I quite like her on The One Show with Matt, but not with Chris Evans as she seems to be 'different' and a bit show-offish when sitting beside him!
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    I saw Alex compering/presenting the concert at Edinburgh Castle a few weeks ago and she wasn't very good.... it was also shown on BBC. I like her as a person as she seems warm and friendly but she's not good at presenting live shows. She's everywhere including on Radio 2 as a stand-in for holiday cover.

It is probably an contractual issue, they probably promised her a few gigs besides The One Show.

And it is not like the BBC doesn't have good live (female) presenters on their payroll. Though I did see that some of them have been busy with other stuff lately (insulting Usain Bolt, for instance :D) and others already have big shows during the year so they are not an option.

From the reactions in this thread, both the ex-Strictly contestants have had it worst (in terms of negative reaction). It does make me wonder btw about their selection process (and candidates pool), are the separate from each other (or is every candidate on this already asked for Strictly first?).
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched on a delay. I fast forwarded through quiet a bit. I don't think Im going to bother next week. I confess to being a long time SCD fan. This was a sad imitation with too much circus and not enough gymnastics. Marking did not match the comments. Alex Jones? Yep beats me too.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    There appeared to be plenty of kids in the audience enjoying it which suggests it is the classic 'family entertainment' and it might encourage some of them to have a go at gymnastic themselves.

They were probably from gymnastics clubs.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes to the poster alluding to Gabby Logan. She would've been perfect with her Hymnastics background. I do realise that would have drawn more comparisons with Splash! though. There are SO many talented female presenters out there who seem to have outlived their 'sell-by' dates according to broadcasters.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it, and am looking forward to Beth next week.

The whole thing is just a simple rework of Cirque de Celibrite though - which I also enjoyed.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Yes to the poster alluding to Gabby Logan. She would've been perfect with her Hymnastics background. I do realise that would have drawn more comparisons with Splash! though. There are SO many talented female presenters out there who seem to have outlived their 'sell-by' dates according to broadcasters.
    Well I'm not a fan of Alex Jones but she's saved us from Gabby Logan so every cloud and all that :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Well I'm not a fan of Alex Jones but she's saved us from Gabby Logan so every cloud and all that :D

Alex Jones is absolutely the worst for me. (Thanks for not pointing out my spelling mistake although Hymnastics may be fun).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it is not like the BBC doesn't have good live (female) presenters on their payroll. Though I did see that some of them have been busy with other stuff lately (insulting Usain Bolt, for instance :D) and others already have big shows during the year so they are not an option.
    Even though they did not actually insult him if you listen to what they said rather than his joke about it but it will be popping up for years to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were probably from gymnastics clubs.

Quite possibly but I would rather they watched something like that than Ex Factor etc and others would be watching who are not members of clubs but might be inspired to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She did not do too bad at Edinburgh considering some of the cameras could hardly see the stage and some of the changeovers between artists seemed to take quite a time so she had to grab people to talk to and not her fault that Ronnie Corbett was put on the show either.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be watching next week
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing about this show is that BBC will almost certainly in the next few years make a case about how they don't receive enough money from the licence fee and that they've had to cut because of it.
    I'd maybe have sympathy for that but then they clearly can find the money to spend on a terrible format like this.

Strictly Come Dancing is a good idea for a program and enjoyable to watch - Strictly this ain't.
    And at least 'Splash' was so bad it's good - this isn't even that.
  • Options
    doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone send me all of the individual scores? I know the totals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few asking whether it is Tumbl Isaf or Tumbl Uchaf? :):):)
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    I still think Alex Jones is an odd choice as presenter (Matt Baker and Helen Skelton more apt) but she was better than I expected. Not terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danslink wrote: »
    I still think Alex Jones is an odd choice as presenter (Matt Baker and Helen Skelton more apt) but she was better than I expected. Not terrible.

Even though she called Beth Tweddle, 'Beth Tweedle'?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Even though she called Beth Tweddle, 'Beth Tweedle'?

No excuse for that.

So who here will watch again next week? I will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Twitter, she is mortified that she called Beth Tweddle 'Beth Tweedle'! So either the autocue was at fault or she was. Does she dare deviate?

Also, Digital Spy, why is this show not in the Reality section?