Options

Come On Down! The Game Show Story ITV 7PM

Comments

• Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    They should make Mr & Mrs and Family Fortunes for ordinary people again not the nonentities they currently have on.

Only problem with having non celebrity versions is they need a good host. Both of these don't.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh dear god they are not bringing celebrity squares back, is nothing original any more
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way ordinary people have been squeezed out of the game show format is a scandal!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind old shows coming back, but it seems the celebrity contestant versions are using them to compensate for bland hosts.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Have it on at the moment, but have muted it so far because of not being able to stand Fforsyth. But what is very noticeable with him sitting in his house is that he isn't wearing his wig and has a parting in his hair low on the left hand side and very noticeable dreadful comb-over.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it upsetting that the Kirkstall Road Studtios has itv Yorkshire on it and not Yorkshire Television and the chevron.

Bring back the chevron!!!

Correction Bradley it was not filmed in itv studios in Leeds lol please don't be afraid to use the words Yorkshire Television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dusty's a bit battered which is a shame he has all those dents and holes in him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Dusty's a bit battered which is a shame he has all those dents and holes in him.

He's in better nick than Ted Rodgers. (Sorry.)
    I've just realised I did the 3-2-1 the wrong way round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Challenge would show the old Price Is Right but for some reason they won't even contemplate it, not sure why they have all the other Central game shows.
  • Options
    MallyminxMallyminx Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    What about the early days ........

Double Your Money
    Take Your Pick
    What's My Line

etc

Yes I thought that, not even a quick mention, and they were the first quiz/game shows as far as I recall. Beat the Clock wasn't a proper game show, just a small part of Sunday Night at the London Palladium, which lasted all of 15 minutes!

What's My Line was presented by Eamonn Andrews and then David Nixon.
  • Options
    001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this has managed to fill a bit of air time for ITV and, surprise surprise, at very little cost.

A few clips from the archives, most of which have been shown countless times before, and bob's your uncle. My real concern is however that some new wet behind the ears production exec gets the idea that a revival of '321' would be a good idea. Getting ready to cut my wrists now :O
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this has managed to fill a bit of air time for ITV and, surprise surprise, at very little cost.

A few clips from the archives, most of which have been shown countless times before, and bob's your uncle. My real concern is however that some new wet behind the ears production exec gets the idea that a revival of '321' would be a good idea. Getting ready to cut my wrists now :O

3-2-1 never went below 12 million in all it's run, it was snobby itv bosses who wanted rid of it in 1989 as they felt it was too downmarket.

To be honest this was just an excuse to plug their own game shows at the end and say we bringing back Celebrity Squares, but at least they few a few old BBC ones in and didn't just stick to their own.

3-2-1 would be dumbed down, the questions would be made easy, all the acts would be from Emmerdale or Coronation Street so just leave it, think of something new for god sake itv.
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Lunchtime, wasn't it?

Loved it:)

I remember The Sky's the Limit with Hughie Green and Monica Rose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallyminx wrote: »
    Yes I thought that, not even a quick mention, and they were the first quiz/game shows as far as I recall. Beat the Clock wasn't a proper game show, just a small part of Sunday Night at the London Palladium, which lasted all of 15 minutes!

What's My Line was presented by Eamonn Andrews and then David Nixon.

Was an hour they can't mention everything I mean you would need to start mentioning 9.25am slot, 5.10pm etc it was a good enough show except the plugs at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I see it's a series not a one off .

Next week Mastermind.

Glad they are doing a few not just a one off.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    It was very much a case of "didn't ITV produce some lovely gameshows?"

Not much mention of gameshows on other channels.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    It was very much a case of "didn't ITV produce some lovely gameshows?"

Not much mention of gameshows on other channels.

Except for the large amount of time spent talking about The Generation Game which was on the BBC, and Blankety Blank which was on the BBC...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Except for the large amount of time spent talking about The Generation Game which was on the BBC, and Blankety Blank which was on the BBC...

And from preview next week University Challenge (BBC version), Eggheads and Mastermind. So more BBC one's next week.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only problem with having non celebrity versions is they need a good host. Both of these don't.
    I don't mind old shows coming back, but it seems the celebrity contestant versions are using them to compensate for bland hosts.

I think they've run out of suitable 'people friendly' hosts havent they? There's too many bland celebrities about as well. Family Fortunes the other day had on it that Clarke bloke who couldnt even sing on X Factor and is no way a celebrity however much ITV want to inflict him on everybody.
    mike65 wrote: »
    The way ordinary people have been squeezed out of the game show format is a scandal!

Agreed, but as the above posters have said there are no decent hosts around to do the programmes.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    I wanted a Dusty Bin when I was about nine...:blush::D

I had a little clockwork one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the problems quiz shows have these days is they have to appeal to the lowest intelligence as well as people with some brains, which is why 3-2-1 would lose it's appeal.

Remember when Challenge remade Blockbusters they questions were made easy, only a few ask what you could call challenging questions, like Only Connect and to an extent The Chase.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They certainly didn't stray far from the mega hit game shows to show us anything that might have been new or interesting. Obviously designed to get a 'oh, I remember that' more than 'oh, I didn't know that'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing, I thought the Central Studios in Nottingham had been sold off, if this is the case how did Bradley go there?

If they are still open who uses them?
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I think they've run out of suitable 'people friendly' hosts havent they? There's too many bland celebrities about as well. Family Fortunes the other day had on it that Clarke bloke who couldnt even sing on X Factor and is no way a celebrity however much ITV want to inflict him on everybody.

Agreed, but as the above posters have said there are no decent hosts around to do the programmes.

I should probably whisper it quietly but I think he would make an OK gameshow host himself.