Options

Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox consoles only!

Comments

• Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news! Congratulations to Microsoft on partnering up with Crystal Dynamics on another great looking exclusive. Basing a game around a single platform has it's benefits and with the kind of budget Microsoft can bring to the table no doubt the game will be stunning when released. Sony fans shouldn't be too upset, I can understand why they would be as I felt the same when Bayonetta 2 was announced as a Wii U exclusive, but they've got Uncharted 4 which is due out around the same time.

I was a bit irked by Bayonetta 2 as well. Didn't make me any more likely to buy a WiiU. I think this is the same sort of thing.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant news! Congratulations to Microsoft on partnering up with Crystal Dynamics on another great looking exclusive. Basing a game around a single platform has it's benefits and with the kind of budget Microsoft can bring to the table no doubt the game will be stunning when released. Sony fans shouldn't be too upset, I can understand why they would be as I felt the same when Bayonetta 2 was announced as a Wii U exclusive, but they've got Uncharted 4 which is due out around the same time.

I'm just dissapointed, Tomb Raider has always been on Playstation, so they have cut off a large part of thier fan base by choosing to go exclusive. So I think Sony fans and fans of the series will be pretty upset. I wasn't the biggest fan of the reboot, but I'm sure the sequel will build on the first and be a great game, I was really looking forward to it. Has a long running franchise ever gone exclusive before like this? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

The Beyonetta thing is interesting, because without Nintendo Beyonetta 2 wouldn't exist. So I wonder if Square Enix were in a bad enough situation to need MS money to make it. We all know they hoped for more sales, so maybe they did need the extra money. It's a good deal for XBox though.
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ffs, was really looking forward this :( not gonna buy an Xbox just for this game.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft are being very vague when questioned on the specifics of all this.

Are we sure it's not just a timed exclusive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it probably is. Otherwise it would be trumpeted much more loudly. Like Sony did with Bloodborne. The bbc report stated that CD wouldn't be drawn on that.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    There could be a deal in place that requires a set amount of sales, or it could be coming to PC later like DR3 and Ryse, i doubt we'll get a real answer any time soon so for now all we know is its exclusive to xbox.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I think it probably is. Otherwise it would be trumpeted much more loudly. Like Sony did with Bloodborne. The bbc report stated that CD wouldn't be drawn on that.

Yeah.

And neither will Microsoft. When directly asked if it was a timed exclusive they answered "we stand by what was said on stage"

So it's exclusive to Xbox for Christmas 2015. That's all we actually know for sure. What happens in 2016 and beyond is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Anyone who thinks this is good news are obviously trying to justify their Xbox One purchase.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah.

And neither will Microsoft. When directly asked if it was a timed exclusive they answered "we stand by what was said on stage"

So it's exclusive to Xbox for Christmas 2015. That's all we actually know for sure. What happens in 2016 and beyond is anyone's guess.

If this is true it could be like PvZ Garden Warfare, exclusive to X1 for a while now but it's coming out on PS4 soon and I thing it comes with some DLC, so better value for having to wait, maybe
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Hetal wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks this is good news are obviously trying to justify their Xbox One purchase.

To me, as an XB1 owner, it matters little. Unless you're the kind of person that likes to go on forums and spout nonsense like "lol PS4 sux! screw you sony ponies", I don't see why this would make anyone happy. I certainly don't get any joy out of my fellow gamers not being able to play what will probably be a great sequel.

Obviously in the grand scheme of things, it's possibly good for Microsoft, but even then, is Tomb Raider a system seller? I doubt it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    So Crystal Dynamics think it will flop?

They have turned down what would be by then 15 to 20 million consoles, plus all of the PCs.

Crap for the developers who will not see it on multiple platforms.

BTW I am not comparing it to first party as TR reboot has been on at least 5 different platforms.

At least I will be enjoying Uncharted 4
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    The way these exclusive contracts work: is the higher the install gap between the PS4 and the Xbox One is; the more 'royalties' Microsoft have to pay out to the publisher. You also have to pay any difference on expectations that would have sold on other platforms, despite who has the platform install base lead.

Basically, Microsoft know there are in spot of trouble and need exclusives.

But then Sony did the same for MGS 4 last time around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    To me, as an XB1 owner, it matters little. Unless you're the kind of person that likes to go on forums and spout nonsense like "lol PS4 sux! screw you sony ponies", I don't see why this would make anyone happy. I certainly don't get any joy out of my fellow gamers not being able to play what will probably be a great sequel.

Obviously in the grand scheme of things, it's possibly good for Microsoft, but even then, is Tomb Raider a system seller? I doubt it.

Not worth £350 to play.

To be honest if I was going to buy another console it would be either.

Another PS3 to play Borderlands Coop with more than one son, or a 360 for the unplayed exclusives (5 or 6 I would try), or a Wiiiii Ewe for Lego City Undercover. No reason for us for a XB1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exclusively in 720p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exclusively in 720p

Thats still 720 more 'p's than the ps4 version
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Thats still 720 more 'p's than the ps4 version

That's a bit 'fanboy' TBH ( as was comment you replied to).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nicks post was a tongue in cheek joke, as was my reply.

If you think i'm a fanboy then tell me.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    To me, as an XB1 owner, it matters little.

It does though eventually. Look at the trend with buying DLC exclusive deals, at first it was just a few things like getting COD DLC early, now no matter which system you own some of the games you buy will have content released late for them.

Apart from indie developers who often don't have teams large enough to release on multiple platforms at once the process of timed content and bought exclusives is just bad for gamers. While the 'wins' are nice all it does is lead to 'loses'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Nicks post was a tongue in cheek joke, as was my reply.

If you think i'm a fanboy then tell me.

Apologies. Tongue in cheek is not that easy to detect in text format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's no need to apologise.

Iv'e had a xbox one nearly a year now. If i got a pound for every resolution joke iv'e seen i'd be a millionaire by now!

I wasn't really planning to buy this game anyway for any system so this news ultimately doesn't effect me. I'd much prefer Wild or The tomorrow Children, both of which, look like must buys.
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Tomb Raider, but as said by others the game is not a system seller. I doubt even X box is going to gain that much from it. The People I feel sorry for in this situation are us the gamers who loose out, and the people that worked on the game that now have less of a platform to show off their hard work.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I couldn't get on Digital Spy all day and this has really annoyed me.

I have been a Playstation gamer for 17 / 18 years and I have never resented a game that has been on the Xbox. For every Forza they have, we have a Gran Turismo. I'm not a massive fan of FPS's but there's plenty of multiplats to keep me happy.

But I am shocked, gutted and extremely jealous about this game.

I love the reboot Tomb Raider. It's in my top three games of the past year and the new one looks fantastic. I know Sony aren't as financially powerful as Microsoft these days but I don't see how they could let this happen.

Don't get me wrong, this is great news for Xbox owners and a great catch for MS. More of this type of thing and I think they'll start doing serious business.

But I can fairly say, I am absolutely gutted about this.

(Still not buying an X1 tho)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

(Still not buying an X1 tho)

Exactly. Not a system seller, more an annoyance to a user base.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fully expect this to be a timed, not permanent, exclusive.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

I think after all the uproar and general hate directed at MS and SE today on their Twitter and Facebook accounts we'd know for sure if it was. ;)

Aaron Greenberg and CD corrected earlier reports that suggested it was timed exclusive and elaborated on why they entered a partnership with Microsoft, they also stressed they weren't turning their back on PS4 gamers as they still had the Definite edition and the new Lara Croft game coming out this winter. On top of that, MS were very clear in telling us which games were making their "console debut on Xbox"., it's a full Xbox exclusive.

Edit: Here's the quote in full.
    “We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal,” he said. “I'd like to give you some insight into this decision, and why we feel this is the very best thing for the Tomb Raider sequel we're creating at the studio.

“Tomb Raider in 2013 was a success due in large part to your continued support. Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today's announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming.

“Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past – we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

“This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

“We know that there are probably many more questions and concerns. Please do send them to us, and we'll answer to the best of our ability. Meanwhile we're going all out to try and make something truly special - the most ambitious Tomb Raider game ever built.”