Options

4 numbers pays LESS than 3 numbers on Lottery

tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
Forum Member
✭✭
Just checked tonights lottery and 4 numbers pays £15 yet 3 numbers pays £25, Camelot need to lose the licence as that is a rip off

Comments

• Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There must be a lot of people with 4 numbers tonight.

I once saw a draw where a lot of people had managed to get 5 numbers, it only payed out about 2 grand. Imagine how galling that must of been.....
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the prizes were bad tonight. Only £105 for 5 numbers - you used to win a few grand for that!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is impressively rubbishy.

According to the official website 219,000-odd folk got 3 numbers and £25, and 16,000-odd got 4 numbers and £25.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't blame camelot for a random number sequence that lots of people have got
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wendnesday isn't it. I thought it was tuseday.

I did a euromillions on the way home by mistake. Hopefully the prizes are q bit better on Friday....
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There were 16,593 winners sharing a prize fund of £248,895 = £15 each.

tony321 wrote: »
    Just checked tonights lottery and 4 numbers pays £15 yet 3 numbers pays £25, Camelot need to lose the licence as that is a rip off

With a finite prize fund it make perfect sense, of course, that you will get less if more people win it. It's just like sharing the Jackpot with everyone else who has the same numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the point of doubbleing the price, to improve the prizes?....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't blame camelot for a random number sequence that lots of people have got

True, but I'm surprised that they've not worked out a system that the minimum prize for a tier isn't at least equal to that of the one below.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First come, first served.
    Too late to the party ... you get nowt.

I don't think people would like that. :(
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only the smallest prize is guaranteed, the rest is dependant on the pool after the 3 numbers have been paid out - its the same thing since the lottery has been in existence
  • Options
    lebbon1985lebbon1985 Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I haven't played for a long time.
    Anyway I thought I would look at their website. It looks like the jackpot is the lowest I have ever seen it £0.72M!
    Even on a Wednesday it's usually around £2M why such a small jackpot this week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lebbon1985 wrote: »
    I haven't played for a long time.
    Anyway I thought I would look at their website. It looks like the jackpot is the lowest I have ever seen it £0.72M!
    Even on a Wednesday it's usually around £2M why such a small jackpot this week?

The last three prize funds for a Wednesday have all been pretty much the same (£7.5m), so it just must have been the way the numbers came out compared to what folk had put on.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member
    Not played the Lotto draw since the price increase.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not played the Lotto draw since the price increase.

Me either, I'm sure Camelot will lose the licence soon and someone else will takeover, didn't Branson want it at 1 point?
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member
    I remember reading once the worst number to have on a draw are 1 - 31 as these are birthday/special occasion numbers. They get picked by lots of people, thus more likely to match prizes.

Maybe everyone is on holiday! But would they not buy tickets in advance?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only got two numbers on my single line tonight.

I've obviously been sold a faulty ticket, so I'm going to Tesco Customer Services tomorrow for a refund.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's extremely...shit.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed, that's a farce. I appreciate that the £25 is guaranteed, but there is no way that someone getting 4 numbers should ever get less than someone with 3.

Especially considering that you have a 1 in 57 chance of getting 3 numbers and only a 1 in 1000 chance of getting 4 - link

At the very very least, 4 numbers should match £25, never fall below it, and preferably have a minimum £50 payout.

...and here is the confirmation - just £15 for 4 numbers.

I once saw a draw where a lot of people had managed to get 5 numbers, it only payed out about 2 grand. Imagine how galling that must of been.....

No, it's more that the prize fund was very low, and there were a lot of winners because all the numbers were under 31, and so many people choose birthday dates for their numbers.

Incidentally £2k was actually quite reasonable for 5 numbers. It was never a brilliant amount, even though you only have a 1 in 55,000 chance of getting 5 numbers from any one line.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

... and the prize for "Over-reaction of the day" goes to ... :D

Yeah, Camelot need to lose their licence for explaining the system from day one and distributing the prizes in accordance with that system! :confused:

I think we need the Daily Mail to run the story just so that we can have lots of sad faces.

:(:(:(:(:(
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,865
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the point of doubbleing the price, to improve the prizes?....

Nah, it was a failed attempt to increase profits. I like many have not played since. I'm sure Camelot knows best.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet some people with 5 numbers were gutted when they realised they had only won £105.

5 numbers last Wednesday would have won £1,269. Looking at the recent draw history, back on May 14th 5 numbers would have won £3,105!
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you've got 4 numbers you also have 3 numbers (plus another one). You should get £25 minimum.

Hopefully enough people will kick up a stink that they'll feel obliged to pay up.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    If you've got 4 numbers you also have 3 numbers (plus another one). You should get £25 minimum.

Hopefully enough people will kick up a stink that they'll feel obliged to pay up.

16,593 people had 4 numbers. Paying each winner an extra £10 to make it £25 would cost £165,930. I doubt Camelot would be willing to do that.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a pool bet with an artificially large share for the easiest combination (3 numbers) as a sop to make people think the lottery is great ehen they get three numbers up.
    What else do people expect to happen when too much is allocated this way?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    It's a pool bet with an artificially large share for the easiest combination (3 numbers).
    What else do people expect to happen when too much is allocated this way?

I think most might reasonably expect more for 4 numbers - especially considering the odds differential.

It's not often this scenario will arise, and a safety net contingency should be in place for when it does, to save Camelot losing credibility (if it hasn't already gone, that is)