Options

If Scotland vote NO.......

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
So granda, remember that referendum back in 2014?
Aye, what aboot it son?
Just curious, what way did you vote granda?
Well, (change in tone) I voted no son.
Really granda, why did you choose to vote no?
Eh, because. .
Because what granda?
Eh. . . Eh. . . because I didn't like that Alex Salmond.
Alex who ?
Alex bloody Salmond, he was the first minister, nobody liked him.
Oh ok, but did he no pass away 10 years ago?
Aye, but still.
But still what granda? surely he wasn't the reason you voted NO, just because you never liked him, there must of been another reason?
Eh......Because your better wi the devil you know son.
But granda, my history teacher says, at the referendum we were £1.6 trillion in debt, there was cutbacks five years in a row and the national debt still went up everyday, the NHS was a shambles and there was food banks all over the country?
Aye that's true but . . . . . . . . . (Stuck for an answer)
So granda, if there was cutbacks for five years in a row, why did the national debt not come down?
Eh, . . . Well Westminster were obviously incompetent and they were building expensive things.
Building things, Like what granda?
Well son, you know that fast train between Birmingham and London you've never been on, they built that, that cost about £17 billion.
But wasn't there a train line there already?
Aye son, but they wanted a faster one.
Doesn't seem right that, especially with all those food banks everywhere, did they build anything else granda?
Well son, you see all those fancy new nuclear weapons near Glasgow?
Aye, what aboot them?
Well, they cost over £30billion to replace, and £3billion a year running costs.
But granda, did Alex Salmond not want to get rid of nuclear weapons?
Aye, he did that.
Did Salmond not promise free child care for mothers wanting to work?
Aye, he did that.
Did he also abolish tuition fees?
Eh.....Aye, he did that.
Was it not him that introduced free prescriptions?
Aye, that was him.
Was it not under his government, we had the council tax freeze?
Aye, that's right.
Ok granda, so what happened to all the food banks?
Well, More and more appeared son.
Gee wizz, did you know all this when you voted NO?
Eh. .....Aye I did son.
So why did you vote NO then?
Well, there was this man on the telly shouting at Salmond saying it was his pound.
But granda, did that man, the prime minister and that chancellor not say only 12 months before the referendum, that it was 'desirable and logical' that we should all use the pound?
Aye son, they did, but they changed their minds nearer the time as they were obviously wanting us to vote NO.
Did they not also say that Scotland was subsidised by the UK, so why were they so desperate for Scotland to stay in the UK?
Well, they never really answered that one son.
But granda, did you know that in many years up to the referendum Scotland was raising more revenue per head of population than the rest of the UK?
Aye, a knew that too.
I still don't understand granda, why would you vote NO?
Well another man on the TV said there would be men with machine guns at the border.
But granda, there are no men with machine guns or any other men at the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland.
Aye, I knew that as well.
Granda, I really don't understand why you voted NO?
Well son. . .all the English politicians and media said it was for the best.
But how could it be for the best granda, could you not see through the bluff and scaremongering? Did you not want change?
Aye son, everybody did, but I was scared of change.
So what happened in the years after the NO vote?
(Big sigh). . . . We'll talk aboot that another night son.

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I don't get it.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    |s this how you are coming to terms with the likely result?

Your post hit me like a wave of infinite sadness permeating through my monitor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I don't get it.

What's not to get?
    |s this how you are coming to terms with the likely result?

Your post hit me like a wave of infinite sadness permeating through my monitor.

That's because it will indeed be a sad day if people don't take a leap of faith.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cba reading that. Why not just post "I think this is good, this is bad" etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's not to get?

Could you please summarise? In English. :confused:
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yum..Yum..Yum.. Nice copypasta. Why don't you give the original source credit?
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the first few lines gave up scrolled and scrolled and scrolled and scrolled. Couldn't be arsed to read through it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I have a strong suspicion 3 or 4 (even 20) years from now everyone will be saying they voted yes anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The attitudes on this thread are typical - that makes me sad
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    "That was a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Scottish National Party."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The attitude that people cba figuring out your opinion from a sarcastic and convoluted post shouldn't make you sad.
    Just post what you think and we can debate the points.
    I'm struggling to care what happens either way so don't have strong opinions on it anyway.
    Would prefer you didn't break the union but mind the door on your arse on the way out if you do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    The attitude that people cba figuring out your opinion from a sarcastic and convoluted post shouldn't make you sad.
    Just post what you think and we can debate the points.
    I'm struggling to care what happens either way so don't have strong opinions on it anyway.
    Would prefer you didn't break the union but mind the door on your arse on the way out if you do.

My post isn't sarcastic and it demonstrates reasons why I think Scotland should vote YES, if people are too lazy to read through it then so be it.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sad that most Scots will vote no like sheep, only to get all that they hate (tories) from an uncaring westminster government, I say to unionists "hell slap it into you".
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not sure why it should make you sad. You have your opinions on the merits of Scottish independence, which is fine and dandy, but then you have effectively posted the arguments of the pro-Scottish independence campaign in a manner that suggests that only reason people might vote "no" is because of blind ignorance (and not because there might be a whole host of valid arguments and misgivings which give justifiable weight to their decision). It is condescending at best.

By all means, present your range of arguments for the case if you wish, but don't belittle those with opposing views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »
    It is sad that most Scots will vote no like sheep, only to get all that they hate (tories) from an uncaring westminster government, I say to unionists "hell slap it into you".

Your suggestion that the majority of Scots are dim-witted numbskulls who can't think for themselves is perhaps rude, but definitely wrong. And if you are right, maybe it is best that Scotland isn't allowed to totally govern itself?
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds very like the speech Tommy Sheridan gave on Monday night :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Could you please summarise? In English. :confused:

An awkward conversation between grandson and grandad transpires in which Granda, the grandad, reveals he voted against Scottish independence. The grandson, Son, is shocked to discover this and probes further, finding out his beloved grandad voted against independence because of his dislike of Alex Salmond, the pound, because the English politicians said voting no would be for the best and because everyone was scared of change.

Son is disillusioned because of the apparent waste of money HS2 and Trident are in a financial climate where food banks are allegedly commonplace and indicates Alex Salmond abolished tuition fees, prescription charges and froze council tax amongst other things.

It ends on a cliffhanger where Granda expresses some regret with voting no by sighing to a question Son has about the years after the no vote. This indicates the no vote had negative consequences for Scotland.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,709
    Forum Member
    What's not to get?

That's because it will indeed be a sad day if people don't take a leap of faith.

A leap of faith is a big thing to ask of people if they're not confident in those who are going to be leading them and if the debate showed anything it was that Salmond really hasn't got much of a clue what happens next. The romantic notion of a Scotland ruled from Edinburgh is all your side really has to go on, it's no wonder many people are worried.

You shouldn't dismiss people's fears as simply giving in to scaremongering. They could just as easily dismiss your views as having your head in the clouds without having a clue about reality.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My post isn't sarcastic and it demonstrates reasons why I think Scotland should vote YES, if people are too lazy to read through it then so be it.

But it isn't your post you've copied and pasted it from elsewhere and failed to attribute it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The tone of the piece is entirely sarcastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's right, all the No voters are doing it because they don't like Alex Salmond and are scared of change. There is no way they've weighed up the pros and cons and made a considered decision.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    If th' 'Aye' vooters are woorie' abae losin 'Aye' voote thn they oonly hae WeeFat McEck to blam'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    An awkward conversation between grandson and grandad transpires in which Granda, the grandad, reveals he voted against Scottish independence. The grandson, Son, is shocked to discover this and probes further, finding out his beloved grandad voted against independence because of his dislike of Alex Salmond, the pound, because the English politicians said voting no would be for the best and because everyone was scared of change.

Son is disillusioned because of the apparent waste of money HS2 and Trident are in a financial climate where food banks are allegedly commonplace and indicates Alex Salmond abolished tuition fees, prescription charges and froze council tax amongst other things.

It ends on a cliffhanger where Granda expresses some regret with voting no by sighing to a question Son has about the years after the no vote. This indicates the no vote had negative consequences for Scotland.

Thank you. I found it incomprehensible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's not to get?

I'de need a lot more than that to vote yes. Some polices by the SNP would help.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well make it easy to read and not like a bloody story. Anyway its going to be no, so get used to it.