Options

Standards world is finally catching up with Apple

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
This is probably old news but I've only just noticed there is a new USB cable in the works which is reversible -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28771578

I'm sure there must have been good reasons but I never understood why the world moved from the mini USB to the the micro one. It was only marginally smaller, but at least with the mini you could tell at a glance which way to insert it. Those of us who need reading glasses for fine work struggle to do the same with the micro.
Personally, I love the lightning connector, particularly when plugging things in in the car, I can connect to my phone without having to look down while driving.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I love the lightning connector, particularly when plugging things in in the car, I can connect to my phone without having to look down while driving.

which you shouldn't be doing at all whilst driving.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally Microusb is terrible.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blind have no problems at all with micro usb (or so I have been told) so they could plug their phones in to whilst driving.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the cables will cost as much as Apple's....
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    This is probably old news but I've only just noticed there is a new USB cable in the works which is reversible -
    You cannot *seriously* be using USB as an Apple bashing tool!:o

It's a total nightmare!!!! I have a drawer full of USB leads with different sizes - including a Panasonic Lumix camera one which seems unique!
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem with micro USB (even in the dark).

Just hope the new ones are as strong as the old micro USB (never broken one yet even though I can connect it and disconnect it well over 10 times a day being in and out the car a lot for work).
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,606
    Forum Member
    I never understood why the world moved from the mini USB to the the micro one. It was only marginally smaller, but at least with the mini you could tell at a glance which way to insert it. Those of us who need reading glasses for fine work struggle to do the same with the micro.

Totally agree, micro USB is the stupidest design cable out there, not only is it difficult to get it plugged in, it's even more difficult because different phones use different orientations, one phone model will be longer side up, the next one is longer side down to plug in.

The people who really like it are repair technicians who get to repair the phones of users who have mangled the port by pushing the cable in the wrong way ;-).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now all Apple has to do is catch up with world standards in regards to their screen res. They call it 'retina' but it's not even HD standard. Poor.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    As long as it's more reliable than apples terrible effort.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    As long as it's more reliable than apples terrible effort.

Do you have experience of it being a problem then?

The USB connector on my samsung is the only one I've had break (the phone, not the cable).
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MicroUSB is pretty poor, but I believe one of the main reasons for moving to it (apart from it being thinner) is that the springy contacts that wear out are in the cheap cable, not the connector on your expensive device, so it's easy to replace if it goes bad. It hasn't quite worked, because now you risk unplugging your expensive device and having the PCB mount microUSB connector come out of your phone with it.

It's still pretty bad though. The Micro USB 3 connector is even more ridiculous. Type C is what microUSB should have been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Do you have experience of it being a problem then?

The USB connector on my samsung is the only one I've had break (the phone, not the cable).

Yup. Ipad cable broke twice. In fact most people I know who have one have had the cable break.

Never had any issues with mini or micro usb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yup. Ipad cable broke twice. In fact most people I know who have one have had the cable break.

As usual you seem to have had awful bad luck with something Apple. In my family I think there are 7 lightning devices and probably 20 cables. Not one has failed.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

The cable and the connector are separate things though.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual you seem to have had awful bad luck with something Apple. In my family I think there are 7 lightning devices and probably 20 cables. Not one has failed.

Then you're extremely lucky.

I've had every iPhone since the 3G. I used the same 30pin connector right the way through to the 4s. Never bothered with the new ones. Just left them in the box as spares. That same 30pin connector is now used to charge my iPod Classic.

Since I've had an iPhone 5 I've gone through 6 lightening cables. I wouldn't mind if it got ragged about. It sits plugged in to the plug next to my bed. When I get into bed I put the phone on charge. Yet six of them have failed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPad 3. I've had issues with cables fraying near the connector (mostly due to their insufficient length, so they ended up at right angles all the time when the phones were plugged in) but I've never had a connector of either type fail or break. My lightning cables from both my 5 and 5s are perfectly fine.

My brother has an iPhone 5, and my mum has an iPhone 5 and iPad Air. None of the lighting connectors have broken.

I'm not suggesting that others haven't had connectors break, but it hasn't been my experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Then you're extremely lucky.

I've had every iPhone since the 3G. I used the same 30pin connector right the way through to the 4s. Never bothered with the new ones. Just left them in the box as spares. That same 30pin connector is now used to charge my iPod Classic.

Since I've had an iPhone 5 I've gone through 6 lightening cables. I wouldn't mind if it got ragged about. It sits plugged in to the plug next to my bed. When I get into bed I put the phone on charge. Yet six of them have failed.

If they are not Apple originals then I would seriously question your supplier
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,606
    Forum Member

You do realise the topic is about the microUSB port and the lightning port?

The fact your aftermarket cables were poor (even if a genuine cable was poor) doesn't change the fact the microUSB port is a very poor design.

A friend of mine runs a phone repair business, we had a conversation about this recently, he repairs microUSB ports in quite large numbers, he has never been asked to repair a broken Lightning port.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had an issue with the lightening cable. It was only just this week I put to rest my original cable I had from the iPhone 5 (I used it right through the time I had that phone that and now the 5S).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    You do realise the topic is about the microUSB port and the lightning port?

The fact your aftermarket cables were poor (even if a genuine cable was poor) doesn't change the fact the microUSB port is a very poor design.

A friend of mine runs a phone repair business, we had a conversation about this recently, he repairs microUSB ports in quite large numbers, he has never been asked to repair a broken Lightning port.

Is it just about ports? Surely they have invented the cable to go into said port.

And why exactly do you claim my cables were aftermarket? They were in fact original cables..bit daft to just assume that...
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are not Apple originals then I would seriously question your supplier

They are apple originals.

Well they were but I have up after the 5th replacement and got one from Amazon which has outlasted all the apple ones so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    They are apple originals.

Well they were but I have up after the 5th replacement and got one from Amazon which has outlasted all the apple ones so far.

You have a cable which you leave plugged in next to your bed, and you just plug the connector into your phone at night and disconnect it in the morning. Not one, not two, but six cables have broken based on this very ordinary and light use. And you think other people are lucky, rather than you being bizarrely, freakishly unlucky?

In what way did they fail?
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Just bought some non apple cables that are supposedly more robust, kid been through 3 looting for his 5th. Of course then you have the issue of them being blacklisted later on.

Cheap and cheerful usb any day, cost me 50 quid in cables.

Any recommendations appreciated.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Is it just about ports? Surely they have invented the cable to go into said port.

And why exactly do you claim my cables were aftermarket? They were in fact original cables..bit daft to just assume that...

It is just about ports.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And yet as usual, nothing apple has ever failed on you. Yet everything Android has just never worked properly for you.

To be honest, why you are saying this when apple cables have never been very much up to scratch quality wise is even more odd. The lightning cables are terrible. From just stopping working for no apparent reason to corrosion which has been plaguing a lot of users. The ports however are pretty rugged.

If you go to buy a usb - lightning cable, the reviews are absolutely terrible. One star!