Options

Jonathan Ross to sit in for Steve Wright for a week

Comments

• Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone actually thought that Johnnie Walker et al may not actually want to do weekday cover and are perfectly happy with their weekly show?

At least Jonathan Ross adds a biting variety, although I doubt he's cheap. And at least he's not Mr Kielty. Would still like to see Sara Cox or Chris Moyles have a go.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Just for the record 3 million listeners tuned out after Sounds of the 60's when Ross was on at 10am.

Thought you didn't believe in RAJAR ;-)
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    Just for the record Sounds of the 60s is one of the most listened-to shows of the weekend. Whoever follows it is going to suffer a big drop.
    Nice try though.

I imagine Graham Norton experiences such a drop and if you go back in time Steve Wright and Anne Robinson probably did as well. Whoever you put there would.

Sounds of the 60s into Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton was/is a gear change but that's the beauty of Radio 2 and a public service broadcaster - a variety of programming.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,904
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    Thought you didn't believe in RAJAR ;-)

He doesn't, it's an exclusive clique of the same 110,000 like the Masons that didn't admit him apparently. And what they publish about the process on their website is untrue.

"After 22 years on the air, Brian Matthew's show Sounds Of The 60s achieved its best-ever audience, too - with 3.7 million people tuning in on Saturday mornings"
    BBC News 17 May 2012
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18083857

"The controversial presenter's Saturday morning show had 2.85 million listeners each week on average in the three months to the end of June, compared with 3.03 million in the previous three months and 3.04 million in the same period in 2008, according to official Rajar listening figures published today."
    Guardian August 2009
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/aug/06/jonathan-ross-radio-2-rajars

If these millions of people were tuning out clearly millions of others were tuning in.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Why can't a decent professional presenter/DJ like Johnnie Walker be brought in.

So Ross is well past his sell by date but Johnny Walker isn't?
  • Options
    mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Live Johnnie Walker during the week as holiday cover or at 10.00hrs - 13.00hrs on Saturday & Sunday each week .....give people what they want .....
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Live Johnnie Walker during the week as holiday cover or at 10.00hrs - 13.00hrs on Saturday & Sunday each week .....give people what they want .....
    One simple problem He is very dull. Ross is a constant hive of inventiveness. Walker isn't.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PMSL if the first guest is Russell Brand.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Johnnie Walker who was suspended by Radio 2 for even longer than Jonathan Ross?
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,856
    Forum Member
    I think Walker pretty much stated his covering days are long over. Still that doesn't wash with the odd little world of DS. Its a miracle no one has said Roger Day yet!!

JR will be fine, as i said earlier i can take or leave his TV chat show - i'm a bit like that with most chat shows to be honest - but he and Andy Davies were good on a Saturday morning
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why won't someone suggest Richard Allinson should be standing in? He's all that's needed for to call Bingo on this thread in the "Names that get suggested every time someone talks about R2 Cover Presenters on DS" Bingo game...
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Andy Davis be at the controls? I thought his ITV chat show wasn't doing well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankfully Patrick Kielty isn't. Welcome Wossy. I remember him covering Breakfast.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    Why won't someone suggest Richard Allinson should be standing in? He's all that's needed for to call Bingo on this thread in the "Names that get suggested every time someone talks about R2 Cover Presenters on DS" Bingo game...

It's a toss up between him and Tony Blackburn as to who has become more a cliche for Radio 2 cover suggestions.
  • Options
    deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of your opinion on Ross as a presenter, no-one should forget that Sachsgate was a huge blow to the BBC and created the climate where Murdoch and his Tory cronies could go on the attack and force cuts that are putting hundreds if not thousands of people out of work and decimating the schedules of our favourite channels and stations.

Alistair Campbell also brought the BBC to its knees over the dodgy dossier on Iraq - yet he too has been welcomed back with open arms. WTF???
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Just for the record 3 million listeners tuned out after Sounds of the 60's when Ross was on at 10am.

Maybe those 3 million tuned in for the 60's music, and were not interested in later music, especially modern-day music.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,904
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Maybe those 3 million tuned in for the 60's music, and were not interested in later music, especially modern-day music.

Given both shows had audiences around 3 million, with Sounds of the Sixties the more popular but not by a particularly large amount, it's difficult to see where this unsourced figure has come from, particularly since they show the total audience rather than the audience at any particular time which are always much smaller as people tune in and out throughout.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Given both shows had audiences around 3 million, with Sounds of the Sixties the more popular but not by a particular large amount, it's difficult to see where this unsourced figure has come from, particularly since they show the total audience rather than the audience at any particular time which are always much smaller as people tune in and out throughout.

Very true (I have just read the later posts)
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can understand decision but wouldn't listen be on radio 6 those weeks liked maria mcerlane this morning though would have woke up at 5.0 if I'd known nice having tamla spot for a change
  • Options
    mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markmag wrote: »

Well Richard Allinson would be a great stand in as usual , Remember when JR covered Wogan on breakfast , 1 song per 30mins with JR talking for the 25minutes. Guess it will be a similar format for this show .
  • Options
    mark mayhewmark mayhew Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Richard Alllinson would be a far better choice.

It's a disgraceful decision to bring JR back to cover this gig.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Richard Alllinson would be a far better choice.

It's a disgraceful decision to bring JR back to cover this gig.

So talented and enterraining broadcaster who has always been very popular on Radio 2 or Richard Allinson. That is a tough choice.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ross is a classic example of a broadcaster who's actually better on radio than TV, which is funny considering he came from TV. He used to have me in stitches regularly on the radio, not so often on TV though.

To anyone who thinks Jonathan Ross is a bad choice, I can suggest a much worse one: his brother! :D

Also, I actually think Jonathan knows more about music than Steve Wright does. Steve Wright always strikes me as very cheesy and the kind of DJ who will, if in doubt, just play Phil Collins. At least we can safely expect Jonathan Ross not to play Phil Collins.
  • Options
    GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I think Ross is a classic example of a broadcaster who's actually better on radio than TV, which is funny considering he came from TV. He used to have me in stitches regularly on the radio, not so often on TV though.

To anyone who thinks Jonathan Ross is a bad choice, I can suggest a much worse one: his brother! :D

Also, I actually think Jonathan knows more about music than Steve Wright does. Steve Wright always strikes me as very cheesy and the kind of DJ who will, if in doubt, just play Phil Collins. At least we can safely expect Jonathan Ross not to play Phil Collins.

I love the fact that your name is Jon Ross.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He recently appeared on Tipping Point and Now Radio2. Is he gone freelance? I don't think the chat show is doing that we'll?