Options

Diss or Dover

andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
Forum Member
Finally house is SSTC and ready to move.

Have chosen 2 new built properties BUT I need to make decision by tomorrow to let both sides know or both will go.

Both new builts & saw both on Wed & yesterday for 2nd viewings & discussed choices & upgrades & prices.

1. in Scole (about 1.5 miles from Diss station) is a village with lovely clean small town centre with upmarket feel & you can tell with the type of residents around. Mainly Independent shops, tea/cake shops, Interior shops with Cath Kidston & other shabby chic style furnishings, flower shop, Barclays, Holland and Barrett, etc.
From Diss Station (which is also quite clean & I've seen few grubby train stations since viewing various props in diff locations!), it's a lovely country setting ride to where the house is. The Tesco & Morrissons superstore ( not my preferred supermarkets) are surprisingly located in a slightly remote & nice location from the Town Centre ( I think the locals are quite protective of their town centre). The house itself is going to be built very nicely as I've upgraded most of the fixtures & fittings & changed layout of the kitchen. And it is just over 1300 sq ft. And there are only 8 houses being built on the site.

2. Dover. Lovely development going uphill where the site used to be a Military base. I think, 19 or so houses being built. Lovely location as the whole area is surrounded by trees. What I love about the house is the view from the living room. As the house is up on the hill/elevated there is the great open view of green fields & the town.
My main problem is the Town centre, it is horrible, such a dump place, the residents & was informed by taxi drivers, migrants are all over the place making the area quite undesirable & this is such a massive turn off. However Folkestone is 10 mins drive & Canterbury ( areas where most Dover residents go to to shop) is 15/20 mins drive.

If any of you know these areas, where would you prefer to live?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of curiosity, why are you looking at two houses so far apart? Isn't it more common to chose an area first?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Diss. It's where I live. Scole is nice. Good connections to Norwich and London easy to get to by train if needed.
    I'd not say the supermarkets are remote from the town centre. They're one end over the road. We have an Aldi coming soon as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why are you looking at two houses so far apart? Isn't it more common to chose an area first?

It's really just where our search has taken us.:(

Since we've been priced out of our beloved East Dulwich we've just been more open minded & accepted that we have to travel far & wide but still make sure commute to London is easy & these 2 areas are.
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really just where our search has taken us.:(

Since we've been priced out of our beloved East Dulwich we've just been more open minded & accepted that we have to travel far & wide but still make sure commute to London is easy & these 2 areas are.

Ahh OK, in that case I'm afraid I have to point out that the Norwich to London train line that Diss station sits on is notoriously bad! There are regular delays and engineering works and compared to other areas in the country the rail franchise (who to be fair are doing as much as they can to improve) seem to be terribly underfunded. If the commute is important to you I'd have a good look into reliability on the two train lines.

Diss is a lovely town, the mere is very pretty but the supermarkets you mention are actually pretty much in the centre of town so as you can imagine the high street has suffered slightly but probably not as much as many areas around the country. The schools are OK if that is a consideration. I don't know Scole so well, there are some nice country pubs around that area and it's handy for getting to The Broads and the Coast (though the roads are not brilliant in that area).

Have you considered Cambridgeshire? Would be more expensive than Diss but the train service is more reliable and there are some very pretty villages and a better rail line to London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We do have a slight over abundance of bookies, charity shops and opticians in Diss. But personally I wouldn't touch Dover with someone else's bargepole, let alone mine!
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been to Diss for years, but I had to visit it occasionally in a job that I did some time back.
    I remember it as a very nice town, I stayed there once or twice and there were a couple of decent pubs there, and with good restaurants in them.
    I've never been enamoured of Dover, it has got shabbier over the years, the only good thing about it as far as I was concerned was that I could get on a ferry and be in civilisation within an hour!
    I had a a small flat in East Dulwich for a while, when my first wife saw the light and threw me out.
    I often went in the Clock House, corner of Barry Road, and also the Uplands Tavern, (now closed), in Crystal Palace Road, those were the days.
    I personally wouldn't opt for either Diss, or Dover, but gun to my head it would definitely be Diss, I hope that you're happy wherever you choose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Ahh OK, in that case I'm afraid I have to point out that the Norwich to London train line that Diss station sits on is notoriously bad! There are regular delays and engineering works and compared to other areas in the country the rail franchise (who to be fair are doing as much as they can to improve) seem to be terribly underfunded. If the commute is important to you I'd have a good look into reliability on the two train lines.

Diss is a lovely town, the mere is very pretty but the supermarkets you mention are actually pretty much in the centre of town so as you can imagine the high street has suffered slightly but probably not as much as many areas around the country. The schools are OK if that is a consideration. I don't know Scole so well, there are some nice country pubs around that area and it's handy for getting to The Broads and the Coast (though the roads are not brilliant in that area).

Have you considered Cambridgeshire? Would be more expensive than Diss but the train service is more reliable and there are some very pretty villages and a better rail line to London.

Never had problem w/ Diss train so far of the 2 trips we did. School is not a consideration. And commute is going to be rare anyway only for London shopping, eating with friends. Never had the inkling to check Cambs & won't do now as it's to late for any further viewings (plus I'm so tired & stressed having looked for months).

This is it Diss or Dover...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We do have a slight over abundance of bookies, charity shops and opticians in Diss. But personally I wouldn't touch Dover with someone else's bargepole, let alone mine!

But the Scole high street is lovely, right?:) Unless Scole & Diss high street is the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't been to Diss for years, but I had to visit it occasionally in a job that I did some time back.
    I remember it as a very nice town, I stayed there once or twice and there were a couple of decent pubs there, and with good restaurants in them.
    I've never been enamoured of Dover, it has got shabbier over the years, the only good thing about it as far as I was concerned was that I could get on a ferry and be in civilisation within an hour!
    I had a a small flat in East Dulwich for a while, when my first wife saw the light and threw me out.
    I often went in the Clock House, corner of Barry Road, and also the Uplands Tavern, (now closed), in Crystal Palace Road, those were the days.
    I personally wouldn't opt for either Diss, or Dover, but gun to my head it would definitely be Diss, I hope that you're happy wherever you choose.

I think it is now The Actress, the pub/restaurant in Crystal Palace Rd, if I'm not mistaken.

And thanks for your last comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But the Scole high street is lovely, right?:) Unless Scole & Diss high street is the same.

Scole doesn't have a high street. Unless you count two pubs and a village shop. We have a Costa in Diss :)
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dover is somewhere I would never choose to live, the town centre is very depressing and as for the locals! The development you are talking about is some way from the centre and is nearer to Whitfield than Dover although not sure thats much better. It is a nice location though not far from Dover Castle and there is an out of town shopping near by. I use the fast link from Folkestone to London be aware that it is very expensive although quick, clean and relatively punctual.

Been to Diss once and thought it much nicer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scole doesn't have a high street. Unless you count two pubs and a village shop. We have a Costa in Diss :)

Yeah you're right it's not really high st, more of a village shopping area??:confused: You know what I mean as I'm sure you've seen it, where there is Holland & Barrett? So I thought it is a nice villagey shopping atmosphere. I came from ED slightly poorer cousin to the most affluent & rich Dulwich VIllage which has a small shopping area which is what I compare Scole to, well sort of.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dover is somewhere I would never choose to live, the town centre is very depressing and as for the locals! The development you are talking about is some way from the centre and is nearer to Whitfield than Dover although not sure thats much better. It is a nice location though not far from Dover Castle and there is an out of town shopping near by. I use the fast link from Folkestone to London be aware that it is very expensive although quick, clean and relatively punctual.

Been to Diss once and thought it much nicer.

It really is lovely, it is the Elysium Park, Old Park Hill.

Anyway so far general consensus is Diss as more favourable location. which is actually what we've been considering.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Have you considered Dat?

Then you'll have looked at Diss, Dat and D'over!

I'm thinking about changing my career to become a stand up comedian..... ;-)
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really is lovely, it is the Elysium Park, Old Park Hill.

Anyway so far general consensus is Diss as more favourable location. which is actually what we've been considering.

I think I would prefer Diss to be honest. The best thing I guess about Dover is being close to the continent. Using eurotunnel we can be in France almost within an hour of leaving the house. Its quite nice just to go to France for lunch and some shopping although you do have to shop around for the cheap rail bargains.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah you're right it's not really high st, more of a village shopping area??:confused: You know what I mean as I'm sure you've seen it, where there is Holland & Barrett? So I thought it is a nice villagey shopping atmosphere. I came from ED slightly poorer cousin to the most affluent & rich Dulwich VIllage which has a small shopping area which is what I compare Scole to, well sort of.;-)

That's Diss not Scole. There is only one village shop and two pubs in Scole. You're getting a little muddled I think :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm quite surprised how many people here have been to Diss! :)
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Have you considered Dat?

Then you'll have looked at Diss, Dat and D'over!

I'm thinking about changing my career to become a stand up comedian..... ;-)

Bugger...I was about to post that when I saw your post...bravo for getting in first...hrrrumph!

Never been to Diss but I wouldn't recommend Dover at all.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Bugger...I was about to post that when I saw your post...bravo for getting in first...hrrrumph!

Never been to Diss but I wouldn't recommend Dover at all.

Well, great minds think alike is all I can say! :D
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    Well, great minds think alike is all I can say! :D

Oh yes indeedie!!!😊
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diss. It's nice by that lake. The Mere I think it's called?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's Diss not Scole. There is only one village shop and two pubs in Scole. You're getting a little muddled I think :)

Oh I see, I was with the agent & she does not know Diss either (she drove down from Norwich to pick me up from Diss & take me to the site & back to station, good service Savills), so we were driving around and basically we're both exploring the area and came across that little shopping area which we both thought is part of Scole!:D

Anyway I like the short winding road going to Scole, very countryside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I see, I was with the agent & she does not know Diss either (she drove down from Norwich to pick me up from Diss & take me to the site & back to station, good service Savills), so we were driving around and basically we're both exploring the area and came across that little shopping area which we both thought is part of Scole!:D

Anyway I like the short winding road going to Scole, very countryside.
    Lol that explains it then :)
    Yep it's quite rural round here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Diss. It's nice by that lake. The Mere I think it's called?

Yep. Or in the local accent the mare. :)
  • Options
    naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I live in Kent, and my Brother lives in Norwich, so I am up that part of the country fairly regularly.

I would definately pick Norfolk over Kent, much nicer place to live. Unfortunately my job is in Gravesend, so I have to live close by.