Options

What is your favorite Robin Williams movie?

124»

Comments

• Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Euphegenia Doubtfire dear :D
  • Options
    waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Night Listener - it doesn't rate highly with the critics but I found it a very compelling, creepy movie and Robin Williams performance was stellar as usual.

It was based on Armistead Maupin's book which was also a strange read. Though the narrative of the book didn't leave the reader quite as up in the air as the film did.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Morning Vietnam,

If accounts are true, he mostly made his lines up as he went along throughout the film, the scene where he meets the convoy of GI's going to fight is epic.

Good Will Hunting.

The last scene of his in the film, where he reads the note Will has left, and says (paraphrasing) "Damn it, he stole my line" with a wry smile, again was ad libbed, and although a tiny moment in the film, spoke volumes.The Oscar award for that film was richly deserved.

Although I don't very much like modern cartoon films ,but his voiceover in Happy Feet, as the penguin with the beer wrapper around his neck did make me laugh a lot.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    The Awakening was a terrific movie. I have found Robin very moving playing serious characters rather than always being the funny man. You could see his vulnerbility, those blue eyes looked at you through the screen and you felt he was talking to you! I think it is terribly sad that his latest series was cancelled, I have not seen it but I wonder if all these fans who are now talking about how wonderful he was, had bothered to switch on the TV show, it might have made a difference. How tragic that in the last few months of his life he felt so humiliated by the cancellation of his TV Show.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bazarama wrote: »
    Another for What Dreams May Come - amazing, visually stunning and such a weepy!

The part in the movie where the priest says:
    'the gospel according to Luke, tell us of an extraordinary paradise that awaits us'

Even as an atheist, combined with the music playing in the background, sends a lump up my throat, and given what has just happened, it felt really strange watching that movie
  • Options
    StandByMe89StandByMe89 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Dreams May Come
    Your brain is meat, and rots and disappears. Do you really think that’s all there was to you? Like you’re in your house right now. You’re in your house, that doesn’t mean you are your house. House falls down, you get out and walk away.
  • Options
    Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love so many

Mrs Doubtfire is a classic
    Awakenings is very good
    Patch Adams is heartwarming comedy
    Jumanji, Aladdin and Flubber are good reminders of my childhood
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has already been said, but just a heads up any fans who have Sky on demand. Do a search for Robin Williams and they pretty much plan to show every one of his films, so you have a huge choice. :)
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    Good Morning Vietnam,

If accounts are true, he mostly made his lines up as he went along throughout the film, the scene where he meets the convoy of GI's going to fight is epic.

Good Will Hunting.

The last scene of his in the film, where he reads the note Will has left, and says (paraphrasing) "Damn it, he stole my line" with a wry smile, again was ad libbed, and although a tiny moment in the film, spoke volumes.The Oscar award for that film was richly deserved.

This ^^.

Watched Good Will Hunting again last night - so moving! And yes, that scene in GMV was entirely adlibbed - the man is a genius.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Doubtfire.
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awakenings is my favourite.

Has everyone forgotten about Garp...:confused:
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Morning Vietnam is being shown on channel 4 tonight just after midnight 00.05
    It was already scheduled apparently, otherwise it would probably have been on earlier.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good will hunting is my favourite, but fisher king, dead poets society, good morning vietnam, awakenings, one hour photo and insomnia are up there too. interestingly whilst i was a fan since the mork and mindy days, i think his best movies are his straighter roles

the crazy ones was a disspointment. i only watched it because he was in it. the outtakes at the end were the best part. i can now understand why he made some awful movies, not through choice

i remember going to see good will hunting when it came out in the cinema. it was in a small arthouse cinema in a tiny room, it wasn't in the more popular cinemas. yet robin williams, ben affleck, matt damon, stellan starskgard, minnie driver, directed by gus van sant and danny elfman score. it was a thursday or friday night and me and my date were the only ones there. and to add to that, kevin smith turned down the offer to direct it (big kevin smith fan here).

if you want to check out a good williams flick that's not so well known then try moscow on the hudson from 1984
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Um....it's probably The World According to Garp for me. Although he is great playing against type in One Hour Photo and Insomnia. Hugely talented man and was really sad to hear about his death. Apparently, despite his demons, a very kind and thoughtful man.

So many egotistical expletives deleted in the world. Always sorry to se a good 'un go. (of course as I'm of a certain age, Mork looms large in my childhood too.)
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, it's Jack. I adored that film when I was younger, and I think it will always be my favourite film. I just love it.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    World's Best Dad - not one of his more famous ones and possibly not the best but definately my favourite - there's a scene where he's talking to an interviewer and has to play it as if what he is saying is so blantenly untrue that he's trying not to burst out laughing as he's saying it and it is so well done. It was role where he was required to be both funny at times and straight at times and he does both really well in it.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Mrs Doubtfire
    Jumanji
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched 'The Birdcage' yesterday - loved it, made me howl with laughter in parts.

He had such a kind face with such lovely intense blue eyes:(
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    Awakenings is my favourite.

Has everyone forgotten about Garp...:confused:

No. :)http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74221485&postcount=20

Will always be in my top 3. I'm also suprised it hasn't been mentioned more (the cast alone is superb, particularly Glenn Close and John Lithgow), but maybe it's just one of those that not a lot of people have seen...? Highly recommend for anyone who hasn't.
  • Options
    J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    As a child of the 90's 'Hook', 'Jumanji' & 'Mrs Doubtfire' we're all prominent films of my childhood and so all have a special place in my heart.

A sad coincidence is that my other two favourite childhood films were 'who framed Roger Rabbit' starring Bob Hoskins & 'Drop Dead Fred' starring Rik Mayall, both of whom we also lost this year.

They don't make films like them anymore!!
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hook and Bicentennial Man.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Bicentennial Man
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Doubtfire :)
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love so many of his films, but my favourite is The Birdcage :) So adore that film.