Options

Is there still a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GazzaBB wrote: »
    I really, really don't want this thread to turn into a row or have to be taken off or anything like that.

Do you think that some portions of the country still hold a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland based on the past?

Sorry that you have to think like that, I don't think a lot of people even thought about that while watching BB , I certainly didn't , the reason I didn't take to Ashleigh had nothing to do with where she come from it was her slagging off the other BB housemates, and people are blaming Daniele for her behaviour but when Daniele left Ashleigh just found others to replace her, for a one to one slagging session instead of joining the rest of the Hms for fun,
  • Options
    beanie.beanie. Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emmetmcl wrote: »
    Seconded; twice :)
    That lot up there in nordieland are going around fighting about fecking flags and about who gets to march down which road, and we in the republic get tagged as the loons.
    It's bloody infuriating.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    Good for you - Will always be londonderry

What the hell is with people? I'm gonna call Manchester Chester from now on. It might be incorrect, but I like being annoying so hey ho.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Nationalist but I still was a big Christopher fan.

Political views shouldn't have anything to do with Big Brother, unless a housemate brings it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Just to clarify guys, I never said I thought there was still a stigma; I was merely asking whether you as English people felt there was. It's reassuring that that isn't the case for the most part.

Anyway, I see the bigots have arrived so the mods can feel free to lock this up. I'm a Northern Irish Catholic (not Republican) who voted for Christopher "The Unionist" multiple times. Somebody's religion will never factor into whether or not I like them. Please take your prehistoric views to the grave and don't pass them onto any children you may have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member

Political views shouldn't have anything to do with Big Brother, unless a housemate brings it up.

Well said he seems a decent bloke.
  • Options
    Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the people who live in Derry who call it Derry. They live in the UK, is their opinion not valid?

no, because the city is a part of the UK and it's official name is whatever the UK government decrees it to be, which is Londonderry.

People who live there, or in ROI, can call it what they like but they're still incorrect. It's no business of people in ROI what a place in the UK is called
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beanie. wrote: »
    That lot up there in nordieland are going around fighting about fecking flags and about who gets to march down which road, and we in the republic get tagged as the loons.
    It's bloody infuriating.

you started it at the Battle of Bogside ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyway, I see the bigots have arrived so the mods can feel free to lock this up. I'm a Northern Irish Catholic (not Republican) who voted for Christopher "The Unionist" multiple times. Somebody's religion will never factor into whether or not I like them. Please take your prehistoric views to the grave and don't pass them onto any children you may have.
    How do ye know Christophers political views/religion?
    The only HMs whos religion I knew were Daniel and Pav.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do ye know Christophers political views/religion?
    The only HMs whos religion I knew were Daniel and Pav.

Somebody mentioned it on the last page and considering it isn't something I take any interest in I simply assumed it was correct?
  • Options
    RonanMRonanM Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was a pointless read but I think a minority of people would hold such a view of republican/nationalist when it comes to voting. Sad really if it is the case.

Interesting the people from NI who go into the house always refer to thenselves as Irish and are usually from Derry. Ashleigh, Conor and BB said Christopher was from Derry on launch night when he is not but close.

Got to admit the Irish HM of the last few years have caused a lot of trouble and outrage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    you started it at the Battle of Bogside ;-)

Grow up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grow up

get a sense of humour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody mentioned it on the last page and considering it isn't something I take any interest in I simply assumed it was correct?

Oh right, I thought I'd missed something.
    You might be on to something with your thread though.
    Nobody is discussing other HMs religions and as someone just mentioned that conor creature, I do remember people wondering whether he was a Celtic or Rangers fan a few times.
    I don't think it effects the vote in any meaningful way though.
  • Options
    weelass2010weelass2010 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    WTF does that mean?
    You think people in the republic are republicans in the IRA sense or what?
    We're just a peaceful little country, the troubles in NI aren't really anything to do with us.
    Well said Beanie. We in the ROI really don't want to know about all the squabbles in NI, and I do think people were biased against the HM's from NI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well said Beanie. We in the ROI really don't want to know about all the squabbles in NI, and I do think people were biased against the HM's from NI.

As a person from NI, I'm envious of the environment in the ROI.

I just wish everyone in our country could get along, but unfortunately many don't seem to be able to and I guess it's a waiting game; waiting for the time that these prehistoric and utterly ridiculous sectarian views die out so we can argue about important things like job opportunities, the quality of our universities, our general economy and the impact these constant protests have on it.
  • Options
    odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is with people? I'm gonna call Manchester Chester from now on. It might be incorrect, but I like being annoying so hey ho.

The impact wouldn't be the same
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to clarify guys, I never said I thought there was still a stigma; I was merely asking whether you as English people felt there was. It's reassuring that that isn't the case for the most part.

Well said. I'm a Roman Catholic from the ROI and I couldn't care less what religion anybody is !!! My Family is made up of Church of Ireland, Church of England, Roman Catholic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just wish everyone in our country could get along, but unfortunately many don't seem to be able to and I guess it's a waiting game; waiting for the time that these prehistoric and utterly ridiculous sectarian views die out so we can argue about important things like job opportunities, the quality of our universities, our general economy and the impact these constant protests have on it.

Never happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never happen.

Do you believe that to be a positive? Would you ever actively contribute to its happening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've often thought that if we planted explosives along the border and pushed NI off out into the Atlantic to fend for themselves, then they wouldn't be long sorting themselves out and dropping their differences.
    I know the vast majority of nordies are completely over it all and want peace, but ye get tarnished by the actions of the lunatic fringe groups.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's sad about the situation in NI, a lot of people have to grow up and leave the past behind them and live and let live in peace, we had to do this in the ROI a long long time ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you believe that to be a positive? Would you ever actively contribute to its happening?

Of course. Get rid of all politicians - DUP AND SINN FEIN - Hate them both we would have a great future
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've often thought that if we planted explosives along the border and pushed NI off out into the Atlantic to fend for themselves, then they wouldn't be long sorting themselves out and dropping their differences.
    I know the vast majority of nordies are completely over it all and want peace, but ye get tarnished by the actions of the lunatic fringe groups.
    Now now Beanie no violence, and yes I would agree most of the NI people want peace in their little part of the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course. Get rid of all politicians - DUP AND SINN FEIN - Hate them both we would have a great future

Fair enough. I seen earlier you saying it should always be 'Londonderry'. If that is what you call it, that's fine. People can call it what they want. Derry/Londonderry/The Hole whatever suits.

This country needs to move on from all the bigotry and hate, it is only costing us. It is costing us from focusing on the real issues and we are hampering the future of the population of Northern Ireland by not allowing ourselves to spend money in the areas that truly matter. And I know for a fact that all religions care about the future of their children and grandchildren thereafter.