Options

Cuckoo - sitcom on BBC3

Comments

• Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    It's kind of sad that he's referred to as 'Andy Samberg from Brooklyn Nine-Nine' when he's been doing his best for many years in The Lonely Island.

Not to mention Saturday Night Live, although I never get to see that in the UK with just free channels. It's worth watching some of his SNL stuff on Youtube, it's ace. I guess B99's his break-out going huge show, though. And it is brilliant IMO.

He's someone who I've started appreciating in all the other stuff he was in without me knowing who he was. I like him in his couple of American Dad cameos; he's in Rapture's Delight, which is one of the best ever episodes, as Ricky the Raptor in the awesome "Christian Kids Production" of the Rapture "educational" video and also voices the Antichrist at the end as well. And he's in Parks and Recreation (S2 I think?) as the park warden who shouts really loud all of the time-the one that Aziz Ansari spends all of his time running after the buggy in because there's not enough room on it for him :)

Joe Lo Truglio (Boyle in B99) also has a cracking AD cameo, in the episode with Kisses the dog. He voices Stan's childhood dog in his dream sequences with a smooth, classy sophistication that is a million miles away from most of his live-action roles.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,579
    Forum Member
    It's kind of sad that he's referred to as 'Andy Samberg from Brooklyn Nine-Nine' when he's been doing his best for many years in The Lonely Island.

That's never been shown over here though, has it?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I didn't think this would withstand the recast but gave it a try, and loved it.

I liked the idea of Dale being a part of a cult and totally maladjusted, and Greg Davies is still there as kingpin. Dylan (Dillon?) also a bit more feisty, which was needed.

Definitely going to keep watching.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

Lonely Island is a YouTube channel mainly, however SNL hasn't been on UK TV for a long while
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caught up with the 1st episode of Series 2 last night on BBC3 and i thought it was ok. Just ok. Wasn't too impressed but i'll give it time.

Greg Davies was fantastic as usual and he made the episode for me. Taylor Lautner i thought was completely forgettable. He didn't bring anything new. I didn't realise Cuckoo's wife had been recast and they've recast her with the woman who played Errol's teacher in Uncle. I liked her in that, but in this show she comes across as a bit of a wet drip. Completely different to how i remember that character from Series 1. So i think she might receive a lot of criticism unfortunately (sidenote: i couldn't stop looking at her front two teeth, one of which seemed really discoloured. At first i thought it was lipstick, but it's not. Strange).

But this was just Ep1 so hopefully things will pick up and progress over time. I really hope Taylor Lautner has some standout scenes because nothing in Ep1 amused me.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode comes with a warning from the Mail - .... be warned, the final scenes are utterly disgusting.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

All of their music videos and albums are available here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All of their music videos and albums are available here.

Oh, it's a band then? I've never heard of it and thought it must be a US TV series!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    Oh no, what ever will I do?

I would suggest you have a total re-think.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant wait till tonight I love Cuckoo
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching tonight?
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Tonight's episode comes with a warning from the Mail - .... be warned, the final scenes are utterly disgusting.

Was a bit disgusting

Much better ep than last week
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The end was minging but a good ep.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Taylor Lautner fits into this really well.
    Loved the bath scene!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it a hard slog again, had to stop to watch a bit of an old HIGNFY for a break, then missed the last 5 minutes or so as I was out back brushing my teeth.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that last scene was disgustingly hilarious.

Plus Holly Earl (Zoe) is a hottie!!!
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Loved that bath scene! One of the best British gross-out comedy moments outside of The Inbetweeners.

I don't have the best teeth myself, but I am finding the daughter's stained one really hard not to stare at. A bit like Alan Hansen's patio-glass-forehead scar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Literal toilet humour but painfully funny when Dillon shat himself in the bath :o:o:D

The spew scenes :o. I guess no-half measures there - :o
    ... then Dale (still somehow happy-go-lucky) saying "Why did everyone get sick?" was funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the first series.
    I thought the first episode of season 2 was promising (if a little bizarre, given that the character after whom the show is named was totally absent!).

I found this week's episode very disappointing.
    Dale Jr. is already considerably less zany and, consequently, less entertaining and not so effective as an echo of his father, Cuckoo/Dale Snr.

The focus of the writers seems to be shifting towards other characters (e.g. Dylan in this week's episode), which is fine if the show is morphing into a standard family sitcom. Without Cuckoo, and with a much tamer Dale Jr., I'm not sure where this is heading.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I thought the seconded episode was stronger than the first but the show lost some of its spark from the 1st series. The 'new cuckoo' isn't a strong enough character St the moment and the idea of him being Cuckoo's son is ridiculous. Greg Davies and some of the side characters are quite good though which carries the show now. Not sure about the new Rachel either, Tamla Kari played the part better and is prettier too imo, not that should matter.
    f_196 wrote: »
    Plus Holly Earl (Zoe) is a hottie!!!

Seconded! Shame she may not be in it now after the last scene as I can't see her taking Dylan back after that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the first episode of season 2 was promising (if a little bizarre, given that the character after whom the show is named was totally absent!).

Dale Jr. is already considerably less zany and, consequently, less entertaining and not so effective as an echo of his father, Cuckoo/Dale Snr.

The focus of the writers seems to be shifting towards other characters (e.g. Dylan in this week's episode), which is fine if the show is morphing into a standard family sitcom. Without Cuckoo, and with a much tamer Dale Jr., I'm not sure where this is heading.

Spot on post. The original daughter was good. They'd have been better off withought the new one (and her boyfriend).
  • Options
    Forum Member

I guess that was inevitable when the main focus of series 1 walked out of the role (which I assume he did). They were bound to focus more on the other characters in this series so as not to put all their eggs in one basket.

I like it anyway - it's a good cast and would be a waste not to put some of the focus on them.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJonesSCFC wrote: »
    I thought the seconded episode was stronger than the first but the show lost some of its spark from the 1st series. The 'new cuckoo' isn't a strong enough character St the moment and the idea of him being Cuckoo's son is ridiculous. Greg Davies and some of the side characters are quite good though which carries the show now. Not sure about the new Rachel either, Tamla Kari played the part better and is prettier too imo, not that should matter.

Seconded! Shame she may not be in it now after the last scene as I can't see her taking Dylan back after that!

Ridiculous in what way? The first actor b.1978 and the second b.1992, and we've been told that Cuckoo fathered his son when he was 13.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Me too. Liked the first series, but giving up on this one now.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoe made it worse for herself by kicking the bath water around...