Options

Travelodge remove bibles

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Maybe we can set up an organisation that does this. A sort of sex Gideons!

On the point of removing the bibles, who the hell is sad enough to get offended at some book tucked away in a drawer! Who even notices it?

I don't think there have been any complaints made to Travelodge, this is simply a business decision on their part, and a sound one in my opinion.
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member

On the point of removing the bibles, who the hell is sad enough to get offended at some book tucked away in a drawer! Who even notices it?

They removed the drawers, probably so they could clean the room faster.

It's not some book, it represents a lot to a LOT of people.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Isn't this more a consequential action rather than planned?

A modern "budget" hotel room tends to be bright, clean, airy an minimalist.

The first stage was probably removing the wardrobe and having a hanging area by the door.

Then the biscuits went

The latest incarnation doesn't have any drawers. No drawers, less chance of a guest leaving stuff, fewer nooks and crannies for dust when cleaning.

No drawers, no place for the Gideons to leave a bible.
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Isn't this more a consequential action rather than planned?

A modern "budget" hotel room tends to be bright, clean, airy an minimalist.

The first stage was probably removing the wardrobe and having a hanging area by the door.

Then the biscuits went

The latest incarnation doesn't have any drawers. No drawers, less chance of a guest leaving stuff, fewer nooks and crannies for dust when cleaning.

Hmm... now where could they stick their bibles... *scratches head*
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,290
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Why do Daily Mail readers post links then apologise?

You feel dirty.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member

Who said anyone was offended? I notice them, because I have to move them out of the way to make room for my stuff!
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do you think anyone has been offended?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    There you go - anybody wanting the bible in a travelodge can google it on their tablet.

Also available free as a Kindle book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bible-English-Standard-Version-Cross-References-ebook/dp/B001EOCFU4/
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Who even notices it?
    To be honest, I like to keep my ever growing collection of electronic gadgets (phone, tablet, TomTom, chargers, etc) in the bedside drawer when I am in a hotel and those bibles can often take up half the space in the drawer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I once attended a humanist wedding at a hotel, with quite a lot of secular society members attending.
    We arrived quite late to find Bibles neatly lining the corridors outside people's bedrooms.
    They'd obviously been ejected by the guests!

Does a humanist wedding differ from a normal non-religious wedding?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't care about a bible being in a hotel room , but I might care about why they have Been removed . Pressure from Muslims ? . It " offends " them ? .

Speculation?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    As ive just posted in the trival annoyance thread, i wish hospitals would throw them out.

We clean each bed and bed space throughoughly to remove germs and bacteria yet leave behind a manky bible in each locker. We cant clean them so they just fester. Some of them look like theyve been there since the 90s and i dread to think what would happen if they were tested with one of those microbe detectors.

The only christian patients we have had in bring their own bibles. Theres no need to keep hospital ones.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think anyone has been offended?

I don't think anyone actually is offended. I was questioning the suggestion. Who would be is what I was asking. The article in the OP said they are removing it to avoid upsetting people someone here mentioned offending Muslims. I don't think most people even notice it. As others have said they probably are removing it for other reasons.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they just leave them ? They are already there so what on earth. Keep them and don't restock rooms if they disappear or they build new hotels. They should be available from reception.

To be fair, that's probably what they are doing, as opposed to 'removing them'. Though that doesn't make for a good enough story, does it? The hotels probably just can't be bothered to put new ones in.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does a humanist wedding differ from a normal non-religious wedding?
    Under normal circumstances I would say probably not but it sounds like the Really Childish Chapter were in town that day. Plus all those bibles in the corridor were a serious trip hazard. Selfish, selfish people!

Seriously, if it's in a drawer, who cares? If it's in the corner on a shelf, is it really so hard to ignore or does it burn the eyes? Just put a towel over it or something. If I go looking for something to offend me I am likely to be successful. Or to use a quote from somewhere ;) "seek and ye shall find" :p

Having stopped in numerous hotels/guest-houses for sometimes days or even a week or two I have never bothered using the drawer in the bedside cabinet and anything that doesn't require hanging up stays neatly stacked in the suitcase. The wardrobe shelf doesn't get used either except for a quick inspection to ensure there's no extra residents.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why hotel rooms have Holy Bibles in them for anyway (if they do). I'm sure people could bring their own if they wanted a one to read while they stayed there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seriously, if it's in a drawer, who cares? If it's in the corner on a shelf, is it really so hard to ignore or does it burn the eyes? Just put a towel over it or something. If I go looking for something to offend me I am likely to be successful.
    But no one has said they're offended, have they? I usually just put it on top of the wardrobe, out of the way!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I can't understand why hotel rooms have Holy Bibles in them for anyway (if they do). I'm sure people could bring their own if they wanted a one to read while they stayed there.

It is a group called The Gideons if you are interested in why they do it you can Google it. They came to my school and gave everyone one. That was thirty years ago I can't imagine schools letting them now. It went straight in the bin after I got out of school that day. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    But no one has said they're offended, have they? I usually just put it on top of the wardrobe, out of the way!

I usually read parts for a giggle.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they removed the drawers that bibles were kept in (likely for unconnected reasons) and thought, sod it we don't want to find somewhere new to put the bibles in, we don't need them anymore.

Bibles still available at reception if people want one. Usual DM outrage article - "hotel renovates rooms" doesn't have the same ring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely The Joy Of Sex would be a more appropriate book to put in hotel rooms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Travelodge should ask Daily Mail if they keep a copy of bible in every room of their offices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Travelodge should ask Daily Mail if they keep a copy of bible in every room of their offices.

They have a direct line to the man himself. :D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

That Gideon geezer should stop forgetting to take his bible with him when he leaves. In every hotel I visit, I find his copy left behind.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad to hear this

I will save a fortune, having to put copies of Dawkin's 'The God Delusion' in every hotel room, just to bring back some balance :D