Options

Travelodge remove bibles

Comments

• Options
    GayAtheistGayAtheist Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say it does sound lovely on your ward shoveling everyone's magazines and books into the black bags
    It happens on most wards.
    and watching out for those peasky God Botherers sneaking in like some holy ninja.
    Indeed. Just as I would look out for anyone who shouldn't be in a place where vulnerable adults are there to recover. Don't worry about that though, thats what us nurses do.
    Always nice to get a glimpse of our dedicated NHS staff at work.
    I bet it is - I am not NHS staff though.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bible has no place in a seedy hotel room with people riding the life out of eachother. I hate hotels.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GayAtheist wrote: »
    If they want to read, they will bring one in (or get someone to bring one in, just as you would any book).

No. If a vicar comes to a ward to see a person, they see the person. They don't, then get free reign to preach and prey on any other vulnerable patients. I am there for the safety of the patients, not for the promotion of religion.

Of course I would - what a silly question.

They are not my concern. They don't exist in every ward space.

Yup the BIB I totally agree. I take it library trolleys don't exist in your ward space? :D

I was shocked that Jehova's in particular are allowed in a hospital, never mind a ward, without being requested by some poor sucker!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Surely it is down to each patient what they wish to read not you
    Indeed it is. Nowhere did I say this happened when the patient was there.
    and since when did Vicars start preaching on hotel wards,
    I work in a hospital not a hotel and it does happen - believe someone who actually works on one.
    none of the ones I have seen ever have,
    Well good for you.
    they visit parishioners and will attend if asked for but have not seen any of them preaching to someone who did not want them there.
    So because you haven't seen it personally, it doesn't happen? Ok........
    I would say you have more than overstepped the mark in deciding what is good for others (outside their direct medical care ) when it should be down to them, patients may be ill that does not mean they have all lost their mental capacity to decide .
    So I should allow random strangers to wander the wards preaching their particular brand of fiction? I think not. I will continue as I am, thanks.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet it is - I am not NHS staff though.

Well that's reassuring at least, I didn't fancy someone attempting to bin my copy of Kafka's The Castle while on a Anti-Vicar patrol around the ward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Yup the BIB I totally agree. I take it library trolleys don't exist in your ward space? :D
    Actually they don't.
    I was shocked that Jehova's in particular are allowed in a hospital, never mind a ward, without being requested by some poor sucker!.
    I would question anyone, regardless of their religion or intention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's reassuring at least, I didn't fancy someone attempting to bin my copy of Kafka's The Castle while on a Anti-Vicar patrol around the ward.
    Glad you are reassured. Although being a random person on a forum, you will never know, will you.........
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you feel better if they kept the bible, but added the Koran, Torah, etc

I would prefer they kept the Bible in every room as it is something that I expect. 'Eck I am not Christian but I am genuinely sad that travelodge opted for this decision. If a person wishes to read the Koran or the Torah, then the hotel should accommodate. I don't foresee a demand that it needs to be in every room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bible has no place in a seedy hotel room with people riding the life out of eachother. I hate hotels.

Sex in a hotel room. I never been that wild as I always feel like someone might have installed cameras.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    I would prefer they kept the Bible in every room as it is something that I expect. 'Eck I am not Christian but I am genuinely sad that travelodge opted for this decision. If a person wishes to read the Koran or the Torah, then the hotel should accommodate. I don't foresee a demand that it needs to be in every room.
    Yet there is no demand for the bible to be in every room - why the difference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet there is no demand for the bible to be in every room - why the difference?

You know there is no demand because...?
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I don't mind if they have bibles (or other holy books) in hotel rooms to be honest - it doesn't worry me either way. Its a book - it isn't going to leap out of the drawer and try to convert you.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

As the basis for the discussion is the article posted by the OP, I think the quote from the Travelodge receptionist might be a clue.

"When requested, the receptionist could not find a copy and said no one had ever asked him for one in his four months of working there."

That was, of course, just one Travelodge, but it hardly sounds as though there's been much of a demand.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If there was a demand then travelogue wouldn't have removed them. They are running a business which depends on customer satisfaction. They are best placed to know what their customers want.
    Of course, if their customers start complaining about the lack of bibles in their hotel rooms then they can always reverse the policy, but, let's face it, that's not really going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are hardly any christians left (phew!) and those who are, bring their own bibles. The Travelodge, in question, states no one has asked for one for months. Therefore there is no need for one to be in every room (just as you think the same about other religious books!). Because of this maybe hotels can provide a bed for the night without the need for fiction books!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    We had Bibles in every room in our Hotel. Sadly a lot of them went missing, guests nicked them. >:(
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having worked in hospitals, I have thrown them out - not only because of the infection control risk, but because of the content of such a vile book. Added to this, I have thrown religious folk off wards when they have attempted to proselytize to patients - I would do it again as well.

Religion clearly makes you very angry and not at all tolerant of those that have any kind of faith.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we a multi faith society?

I would say we are fast moving towards being an 'anti-faith' society....

Christianity has more or less died a slow painful death here. Other religions going strong though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about a bible being in a hotel room , but I might care about why they have Been removed . Pressure from Muslims ? . It " offends " them ? .

Thats an imaginative mind you have working there...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the UK last week and stayed in some Travelodges and didn't see any Bibles in the rooms.

Were there Muslims protesting in the lobby?
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sad and alone in a Travelodge once but luckily someone had a left a telephone directory in the room. What a wonderful book, with a huge cast of characters. In the end I found out that
    Mr Zymzyc killed Ms. Aarends
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you feel better if they kept the bible, but added the Koran, Torah, etc

I'm sure Jews & Muslims however devout they are have got better things to do when crashing out for the night in a TL...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a person wishes to read the Koran or the Torah, then the hotel should accommodate..

Why should they? Bring your own. I'd rather the hotel focus on getting the bedding/sheets etc right
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bible pages are useful when you run out of Rizlas or want to snort some Coke.

You know how these late night hotel parties get.....

Is shiny paper not better? :confused::D
    I used a bible back in April as a mouse mat. I don't agree with bibles in hotel rooms, we are a multicultural society and that reflects in people using hotel rooms.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should they? Bring your own. I'd rather the hotel focus on getting the bedding/sheets etc right

Exactly, it's a hotel, not a library.