Options

The 500 "British" Isis Fighters

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,579
    Forum Member
    Y Me wrote: »
    What is really needed in the long term is education. If these people were educated properly they wouldn't be Muslim in the first place as they would see how misguided that religion is.

Are you saying there are no educated Muslims? That's obviously untrue.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Funny how no one mentions the UK citizens that go and fight in the Israeli Army, and have been doing for years. The Israelis have committed far worse atrocities than ISIS, but that doesnt seem to matter.

As usual double standards.

Didn't realise the Israeli Army were going round beheading people for not being Jewish
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Funny how no one mentions the UK citizens that go and fight in the Israeli Army, and have been doing for years. The Israelis have committed far worse atrocities than ISIS, but that doesnt seem to matter.

I tend to agree that UK citizens should not be permitted to fight in any foreign army. However that is a truly ridiculous thing to say.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Didn't realise the Israeli Army were going round beheading people for not being Jewish

Speaking factually, what the Israelis are doing is bad. What ISIS are doing is far worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Y Me wrote: »
    What is really needed in the long term is education. If these people were educated properly they wouldn't be Muslim in the first place as they would see how misguided that religion is.

Not a very popular view, but its hard to argue. Many Muslim children in the UK don't receive the same secular education that others do because they are de facto segregated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Or more likely, most people are not aware that is the case. I had no idea.

Personally I don't think British citizens should be joining any foreign army.

Israel are certainly no angels, and their response in Gaza has been quite horrendous with many civilian casualties, but they are still nowhere near as bad as Isis. Although Palestinian children and women have been killed, and that is bad enough, I am not aware of the Israeli army decapitating people with knives in front of other civilians, sticking their heads on spikes along streets, and carting women and young girls off to be sexual slaves for their fighters.
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there any precedence in which british people have had their citizenships cancelled, effectively leaving them state-less?

also, if I had to guess, I reckon most of these people are british born.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Mint wrote: »
    I'm hoping that they all get themselves killed out there.

Same here. They deserve it.
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Just discussed on the Left-wing Ch4 News.

How much of a problem do you think they (and their supporters) would be if and when they come "home"?

If it were down to me, I wouldn't let them come back 'home'.

But, we'll have to let them back in, as they supposedly live here as UK citizens and they'll only play the racist card if we don't and say it's an infringement of their human rights.

Same old, same old.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a very popular view, but its hard to argue. Many Muslim children in the UK don't receive the same secular education that others do because they are de facto segregated.

That's what I agree with. Faith Schools and the Iraq war - two of Tony Blair's biggest projects and look where they've got us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Same here. They deserve it.

If it were down to me, I wouldn't let them come back 'home'.

But, we'll have to let them back in, as they supposedly live here as UK citizens and they'll only play the racist card if we don't and say it's an infringement of their human rights.

Same old, same old.

If we can identify them I don't see why, if they are British citizens, they cannot be arrested as soon as they turn up at airports, bus stations or ports. Identified fighters can have all of their details circulated to these entry points, arrested and then put on trial either under UK anti terror legislation or for crimes against humanity if that's possible.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No they just bomb them for being Palestinian - that's soooo much better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    is there any precedence in which british people have had their citizenships cancelled, effectively leaving them state-less?

also, if I had to guess, I reckon most of these people are british born.

British born jihadists would probably not be able to have their citizenship cancelled.

But if any are immigrants and were granted citizenship, I don't see why that citizenship cannot be revoked. But it would have to wait until they return to the UK, and are arrested. If found guilty they could perhaps have their citizenship revoked and then deported back to their original country at the end of their sentence, if they ever get out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we can identify them I don't see why, if they are British citizens, they cannot be arrested as soon as they turn up at airports, bus stations or ports. Identified fighters can have all of their details circulated to these entry points, arrested and then put on trial either under UK anti terror legislation or for crimes against humanity if that's possible.

It can be like the Nuremburg Trials all over again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No they just bomb them for being Palestinian - that's soooo much better

Hamas are at least as much to blame there, that's the difference. There is no Christian equivalent in Iraq.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's madness to want to deport them to a country where they can continue to be terrorists! They are best locked up in British jails.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Under Soul wrote: »
    It can be like the Nuremburg Trials all over again!

Hopefully without the hangings though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Hopefully without the hangings though

I think many would disagree with that proviso. Normally I'm anti death penalty but am so angry at what they are doing. I'll get over it soon I hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    I think it's madness to want to deport them to a country where they can continue to be terrorists! They are best locked up in British jails.

Indeed, but if they can only be charged with belonging to a banned terrorist organisation and similar charges, that don't carry a life sentence, then they will be out at some stage.

I'd rather they were packed off to somewhere like Pakistan or wherever they came from if they were immigrants granted citizenship, and banned from ever re-entering the UK after they have served their sentence, than wandering the streets here on their release. Of course they will be monitored for a while, but we just don't have the resources to monitor them for many, many years.

If however, we have evidence of them being directly involved in the atrocities we have seen then by all means keep them in jail for the rest of their lives here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Under Soul wrote: »
    I think many would disagree with that proviso. Normally I'm anti death penalty but am so angry at what they are doing. I'll get over it soon I hope.

They wont face the death penalty, as it is no longer allowed in the EU.

But if they are found guilty of the atrocities we have heard about, locking them up for the rest of their lives serves the same public protection role anyway.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

But if they are found guilty of the atrocities we have heard about, locking them up for the rest of their lives serves the same public protection role anyway.

Until someone hijacks a plane & demands their release :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The possible outcomes are so awful that it's best not to worry too much about the what ifs. Unless you work for the security forces of course.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe they should be deported to the country they committed their crimes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe they should be deported to the country they committed their crimes

That would be normal practise if the relevant country requested their extradition and our authorities were happy with the standard of their judicial system. But that country in this case would likely be either Syria or Iraq. We can't extradite them to those countries at the moment, but might be able to if and when things settle down. We also wont extradite them to a country that has the death penalty, unless we receive guarantees that the death penalty will not be sought in their cases.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you do not have Israeli citizenship you cant fight, you can only assist with things like moving food rations, medical supplies, vehicle repairs as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Are you saying there are no educated Muslims? That's obviously untrue.

Religious people are not fully educated. To complete their education they need to read Richard Dawkins.