✭✭
    http://www.paralympic.org/swansea-2014

Anyone going to be watching this?
    Or going to Swansea to see it?
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gah, curse them, we are one silver behind the French on the table.

Be even further behind if they hadn't banned Benabbad. Ridiculous decison.
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    Sophie Hitchon, who is a hammer thrower is lovely.

She is. And I also had a thing for Sandra Perkovic. Unfortunately...

The true world record, probably. The IAAF never did a more cowardly, stupid, short-sighted thing than they did when they refused to annul the GDR world records, even although a German trial in the early 90s proved that they were all doped. It has damaged several women's events ever since.

.... Perkovic was also a doper and banned for six months. She may be a huge natural talent but all her future achievements are tainted to me.

On a side note, I've been watching athletics since Ovett got our only gold in the 78 Euros and I can't remember enjoying a Euro champs like this one. I think Jo Pavey had a lot to do with that. However, I have a question. I've seen a lot of people post during these champs that they don't really follow athletics but have got on board this week. My question is, didn't you get the bug during the Olympics? What have these champs got that London 2012 didn't have...?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Brendan pointing out ethnic roots again. Doesn't matter where you live now, if you were born in Africa, you're an African through and through to Brendan!!

It was nice to hear Steve Cram explaining Hassan's background in detail. Countered what Brendan said about her yesterday.

"Hassan is fully integrated in Holland and trains with the Dutch squad, who do their altitude training in the USA" ............. Brendan said nowt.
  • Options
    susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    Sophie Hitchon, who is a hammer thrower is lovely

I saw Sophie in the flesh at the Euro team championships last year, she is lovely and waved at me, I have the video on my phone :)
  • Options
    zonizoni Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandark

Brendan pointing out ethnic roots again. Doesn't matter where you live now, if you were born in Africa, you're an African through and through to Brendan!!

swingaleg wrote: »
    I think we should differentiate between the people like Mo and the Dutch girl who went to the adoptive countries as children or teens and developed their athletics in that country...........and on the other hand you have the US guy running for Israel and the Kenyans running for Turkey and Zola Budd (just in case people think we are above it) who went to their adoptive countries as ready formed competing athletes

As some have said Zola, like some South African cricketers and Rugby players were caught up in the justifiable banning of South Africa, due to apartheid; though many were lucky enough to have UK parents/grandparents and the ability to change elegancies. I am not going to begrudge a Zola a chance to perform on the international stage because an accident of birth has meant she resided in a despicable country with a poor human rights record.

Wouldn’t we want the UK and other like minded nations to make a similar decision if say a promising female athlete was no longer allowed to participate in athletics because a change in government in a particular country (typically Islamic though not necessarily), meant women had been forbidding to take part in competitive sporting events?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.paralympic.org/swansea-2014

Anyone going to be watching this?
    Or going to Swansea to see it?

Having bitten the bug at the 2012 Paralympics, me and my kids are off to the IPC European athletics championships in Swansea next week, (bought tickets for the Friday and Saturday sessions last month). Coincidentally, en-route to summer skiing on the Alps last year we also planned our hols to accommodate the 2013 IPC World athletics championships in Lyon, though that event was ticket free and you only had to turn up.

I suspect the British love for supporting both able and para sports has meant Swansea had to charge a nominal amount to attend and minimise the chance of crowds turning up and being disappointed because the stadium were full. I am taking advantage of the Bank holiday weekend to have our first visit to Swansea and our first proper stay in Wales of more than one day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandark

It was nice to hear Steve Cram explaining Hassan's background in detail. Countered what Brendan said about her yesterday.

"Hassan is fully integrated in Holland and trains with the Dutch squad, who do their altitude training in the USA" ............. Brendan said nowt.

You're spot on. Her situation is similar to Mo's or come to think of it John Barnes in that they are all products (part products) of the European schools sports system,

I would even include someone like Lennox who left the UK for Canada as a child and represented Canada at the Olympics (as an amateur during his teens & early twenties) but as soon as he had the financial independence to represent the UK when he turned pro, he did. It is not as if Lennox could have waved goodbye to his mum at the airport at twelve years old and said he wasn't emigrating and as a proud Brit would stay on in England without her!

Brendan (who I respect from my youth) was being a little lazy with his appraisal of some of the athletes. Both myself and my daughter were wondering if other foreign commentators had likewise lazily questioned the credentials, parentage or birth location of "black" British athletes, particularly in the seventies and eighties such as Mike Marfarlane, Sonia Lanoman, Bev Goddard, Joslyn Hoyte-Smith, Phil Brown and come to think of it Linford. Back then, outside of France, Portugal, Belgium, Germany and Holland who had had colonies in black nations (and to some extent still did), would we have accepted say a Swedish or Italian reporter questioning the legitimacy of for example, Tessa Sanderson to represent the UK and win Gold at the LA Olympics in ’84 because like Linford she was born in Jamaica?
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 28,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those guys are Running really fast. I dont think i could have followed them for more than 500 m or so...
  • Options
    JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit confused. Are you allowed to have more than 3 from each country in the Marathon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. 6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Yes. 6

Thanks

Seems odd when they are only allowed 3 in other events
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. Its Also a team event where best three Counts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. Its Also a team event where best three Counts

Oh,I didn't realise that there is a team event. Is there a separate Gold medal for that as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh,I didn't realise that there is a team event. Is there a separate Gold medal for that as well

Yes, but cant See it in the official medal count? Hmm. Bit counfused now. Italy won yesterday ahead of Portugal and Russia.
  • Options
    MarcPaulBMarcPaulB Posts: 4,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So don't GB have ANY runner in either the men's or women's marathons? I find that astounding.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,253
    Forum Member
    Yes, but cant See it in the official medal count? Hmm. Bit counfused now. Italy won yesterday ahead of Portugal and Russia.

Is it a separate European Cup medal rather than part of the Championships?
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Is it a separate European Cup medal rather than part of the Championships?

Yeah, that is what it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the answers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that is what it is.

Cool. Was bit confused. It makes kind of sense not to include in medal count..

That polish guy is doing really well. so far
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think the Pole has shot his bolt here. Still got a big lead but his face tells you he's struggling now.

Long way to go as well so can he hang on.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,027
    Forum Member
    zoni wrote: »
    You're spot on. Her situation is similar to Mo's or come to think of it John Barnes in that they are all products (part products) of the European schools sports system,

I would even include someone like Lennox who left the UK for Canada as a child and represented Canada at the Olympics (as an amateur during his teens & early twenties) but as soon as he had the financial independence to represent the UK when he turned pro, he did. It is not as if Lennox could have waved goodbye to his mum at the airport at twelve years old and said he wasn't emigrating and as a proud Brit would stay on in England without her!

Brendan (who I respect from my youth) was being a little lazy with his appraisal of some of the athletes. Both myself and my daughter were wondering if other foreign commentators had likewise lazily questioned the credentials, parentage or birth location of "black" British athletes, particularly in the seventies and eighties such as Mike Marfarlane, Sonia Lanoman, Bev Goddard, Joslyn Hoyte-Smith, Phil Brown and come to think of it Linford. Back then, outside of France, Portugal, Belgium, Germany and Holland who had had colonies in black nations (and to some extent still did), would we have accepted say a Swedish or Italian reporter questioning the legitimacy of for example, Tessa Sanderson to represent the UK and win Gold at the LA Olympics in ’84 because like Linford she was born in Jamaica?
    It became distasteful criticising ethnic minority athletes representing white majority countries back in the 1930s when the Nazis accused the Americans of using blacks (who the Germans knew were treated like second class citizens) as ringers.

I'm sure commentators from more homogenous nations probably did point out the ethnic backgrounds of some athletes. It wouldn't be offensive today to say that Britain's Caribbean and African minorities have brought the country much sporting success. It's only if it's said in a critical Nazi like way it becomes more of an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Think the Pole has shot his bolt here. Still got a big lead but his face tells you he's struggling now.

Long way to go as well so can he hang on.

Yeah. Still 12 k left almost. I hope he makes it, but Will be tough :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised not more are wearing caps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG meucci!!!!!
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not gonna even finish in the medals sadly for him, done a Kennaugh in the commonwealth road cycle race here gone off way to quick.