Options

Is there still a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Options
    PercyBysshePercyBysshe Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    D***** wrote: »
    Not one single person in Ireland calls it Eire! Only English people call Ireland Eire!

Germany is Deutschland, Spain is España, Italy is Italia, Japan is Nippon, Greece is Hellas and Ireland is Eire.

^_^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Even tho Derry is a mainly nationalist city it isn't how Ashleigh's been brought up... She grew up in 1 of the few mixed estates in Derry that tolerates all (be it Protestant, Catholic, Polish Romanian or English etc.) n went 2 an intergrated school, so I shouldn't think religion played a decisive part in whether Ashleigh or Christopher won n people from their region of the "UK" can vote if they care enough.
  • Options
    MavisConsuelaMavisConsuela Posts: 1,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say Im 25 and have no idea about this supposed stigma. They don't teach anything about the troubles in school and Irish teachersat school wouldnt answer questions about it because we wouldn't understand.
  • Options
    Sandie_BrowneSandie_Browne Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashleigh came second because she is a Republican and the majority of NI are loyalists. Thank God people in the ROI can't vote

My friends and I are Loyalists from n.i. And I voted for Ashleigh, religion has nothing to do with who you vote for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Ted_Bear wrote: »
    I've read simplistic inaccuracies before but this takes the biscuit. Those born in the different state are Irish citizens too, just the same as elsewhere on the island. Of course their fellow citizens in the southern state should have an interest in what goes on. If you don't - well jolly good for you.

Oh and as for reading up on the history of Ireland. You can safely assume I know what I'm talking about on this subject.

ps: "Frosty" I presume that is directed at me regarding who Ashleigh supports - it is a fact that she supports Celtic. And as for the

Of course it's an "Irish issue" when talking about the island. You'd think those who term themselves northern Irish weren't Irish...........the clue is still in the name!!

Well I get your point. I still refuse to call myself Irish or this an Irish problem. The whole issue is a northern irish problem as we are the ones fighting etc.

I never hear of sectarian rows etc down there.

I also don't feel justified in calling myself Irish because I have no connections to that country and I actually live on the United Kingdom under a different juristiction -
  • Options
    D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germany is Deutschland, Spain is España, Italy is Italia, Japan is Nippon, Greece is Hellas and Ireland is Eire.

^_^

Very good. How many more can you do?

No one in Ireland calls Ireland Eire. You would be more like to see "Eireann" instead of "Eire". Eire is something more English people use than Irish people. Which is strange because Eire is on our money. Maybe that's what causes the confusion. But, trust me, no one in Ireland refers to Ireland as Eire.

Ireland or Eireann but not Eire.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^_^

Yes, but Ireland's official language is English so its Ireland.
  • Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    Simple answer, noye.
  • Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might as well say that Marlon didnt win because hes black.
  • Options
    Wildrover06Wildrover06 Posts: 4,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^_^
    Yes, Ireland is Éire. Éire means Ireland & refers to the entire 32 counties on the island (north & south), & dates back to the year dot, well before the plantations & the restoration, the divide & the troubles. It doesn't distinguish between NI & ROI.

No-one uses the word Éire, although it's interesting that a ROI passport has Éire/Ireland printed on the cover & ROI stamps have Éire printed on them, as does the currency.

The reality is that it's a unique situation & not clear cut in any sense of the word. A person born in NI is entitled to a ROI passport. A person who was born in the ROI (Éire at the time) was entitled to a UK passport & if that had been claimed so can their descendants, subject to certain stipulations e.g. it had to be claimed before a certain time.

Laws have changed slightly over the years but generally speaking it is accepted that it is "the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British or both, as they may so choose", and that "their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments".
  • Options
    beanie.beanie. Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

- Those from the south of Ireland who don't give a damn about the 6 northern counties should be ashamed of themselves.

We've been financially ruined down here, the debt that the Irish tax payer has been saddled with will effect furture generations, apparently my future kids and even my future grandchildren will be paying it off.
    The general Irish citizen didn't run it up, it was bankers, property developers and the like playing around with and gambling millions of euro. The bankers retired with their lovely pensions and the rest transferred their assets into spouses names and declared them selves bankrupt.
    The taxpayer is forced to pay it off, suffering constant tax hikes, pay cuts and levies.
    Companies and going bust, people are losing their jobs and their homes. Sucide rates are soaring.

If ye want to fight about what flag is hung on what building, or about parades and marches, or whatever other squabbles ye have, don't expect people in ROI to be remotely interested, we have actual real problems of our to be dealing with.
  • Options
    SAFC_DerrySAFC_Derry Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    It isn't Derry it is LONDONDERRY. The catholics call it Derry it is in UK called LONDONDERRY

Calm down before you burst a blood vessel. P.S it's not just the Catholics that call it Derry so wise up. Personally I like to refer to it as LedgenDerry.:p
  • Options
    SAFC_DerrySAFC_Derry Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because if Republicans could vote then any loyalist/protestant housemate from north of the border wouldn't stand a chance of winning. it's a bit like the 'Scottish vote' problem

Nothing like a good old sectarain view point!:o
  • Options
    Wildrover06Wildrover06 Posts: 4,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frostyj wrote: »
    Well I get your point. I still refuse to call myself Irish or this an Irish problem. The whole issue is a northern irish problem as we are the ones fighting etc.

I also don't feel justified in calling myself Irish because I have no connections to that country and I actually live on the United Kingdom under a different juristiction -
    Exactly, It's your right to identify yourself as you see fit. No-one has the right to identify you as they see fit. The vast majority of people understand this but there will always be the odd few who either prefer to dwell in the past, are too stubborn/ignorant to accept the present or of course enjoy trolling internet forums trying to get a rise out of people.
  • Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    SAFC_Derry wrote: »
    Calm down before you burst a blood vessel. P.S it's not just the Catholics that call it Derry so wise up. Personally I like to refer to it as LedgenDerry.:p

Ledgen... wait for it... Derry?
  • Options
    B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    GazzaBB wrote: »
    I was thinking more about Christopher. I feel that if he was English people may have found him a lot more relatable and got behind him to a greater extent.

It's only a theory, I'm not saying that there is or isn't.

I voted for Christopher because out of all the housemates I liked him the most and wanted him to win, no other reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    beanie. wrote: »
    We've been financially ruined down here, the debt that the Irish tax payer has been saddled with will effect furture generations, apparently my future kids and even my future grandchildren will be paying it off.
    The general Irish citizen didn't run it up, it was bankers, property developers and the like playing around with and gambling millions of euro. The bankers retired with their lovely pensions and the rest transferred their assets into spouses names and declared them selves bankrupt.
    The taxpayer is forced to pay it off, suffering constant tax hikes, pay cuts and levies.
    Companies and going bust, people are losing their jobs and their homes. Sucide rates are soaring.

If ye want to fight about what flag is hung on what building, or about parades and marches, or whatever other squabbles ye have, don't expect people in ROI to be remotely interested, we have actual real problems of our to be dealing with.

The problems in the north aren't just trivial matters such as flags. I know all about the problems the south is having and the north has suffered a domino affect from the banking crisis too. As far as suicide rates etc., are concerned parts of the north have exceptionally high figures also.

My point is that on an all-island basis it is extremely ignorant of those in the south to totally disregard what is happening in the north carte blanche. Many factors have a knock on affect and over the years many have suffered death, injury and persecution from the British and the northern state establishment - I would hope that the majority in the south would be interested in the more serious issues in the north and not disregard it like some completely separate entity when the complex issues of this island show that it is not - with cross border bodies and Irish citizens born and bred in both jurisdictions there should always be a general regard towards each other.

Times are changing and loyalism is gasping for it's last breath so the future is bright for everyone, regardless of religion etc., to come together peacefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    over the years many have suffered death, injury and persecution from the British and the northern state establishment

And many many more suffered the same from the IRA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The problems in the north aren't just trivial matters such as flags. I know all about the problems the south is having and the north has suffered a domino affect from the banking crisis too. As far as suicide rates etc., are concerned parts of the north have exceptionally high figures also.

My point is that on an all-island basis it is extremely ignorant of those in the south to totally disregard what is happening in the north carte blanche. Many factors have a knock on affect and over the years many have suffered death, injury and persecution from the British and the northern state establishment - I would hope that the majority in the south would be interested in the more serious issues in the north and not disregard it like some completely separate entity when the complex issues of this island show that it is not - with cross border bodies and Irish citizens born and bred in both jurisdictions there should always be a general regard towards each other.

Times are changing and loyalism is gasping for it's last breath so the future is bright for everyone, regardless of religion etc., to come together peacefully.

Now I doubt Unionism is gasping for its last breath. Come on now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly, It's your right to identify yourself as you see fit. No-one has the right to identify you as they see fit. The vast majority of people understand this but there will always be the odd few who either prefer to dwell in the past, are too stubborn/ignorant to accept the present or of course enjoy trolling internet forums trying to get a rise out of people.

Oh I know.

NI will never not have this issue.
  • Options
    Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

- The city of Derry is called Derry by the vast majority of people. That is the cities original name and the "city of Derry airport" and "Derry city council" are a bit of a giveaway that is a factually correct name to call the city.

-

incorrect. 'Derry' may have been the city's original name but it is no longer. As long as the city remains part of the UK it's name is Londonderry, no matter what Catholic/republicans wish it were called.

it is no business of the people of ROI what a place in Britain is named.

you lament the 'extemists' in this thread but your views also come across as pretty extreme. Hmmmm.....Are you a Sinn Fein supporter?
  • Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frostyj wrote: »

Scotland and Wales are in the Uk and their citizens refer to them selves respectively as Scottish first and Welsh and then British. People on the island of Ireland are Irish and if born in the six counties Irish and also British if they want to be. Its their choice.

We dont have the issues down here because the issues up North are about power and control and who has it not religion. Religion has always been the cover screen and a method of looking down on others. Its been used as an excuse for discrimination, murder and hatred. No true Christianity was ever practiced as hatred and sectarianism have no place in the hearts of true Christians.
    The original problem arose because the minority of the population were denied basic civil rights by the majority because they belonged to a different sect.
    Then the thugs took over on both sides and it escalated.
    If the province had been governed in fairness and justice and in the spirit of true Christianity in the first place - love thy neighbour-dissent would never have arisen.Religion has no place in politics. and all are entitled to their own beliefs.
    People can identify themselves as they please as can you.
  • Options
    rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ashleigh considers herself Irish and has an Irish passport then she is Irish.

I hope one day Ireland finally will be united again and I think that it will happen sometime in the future.
  • Options
    FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Folks, I'm from Belfast and being in my 50's and seen it all here......can I make a point this is the Big Brother forum. Maybe this should now be moved to the politics or general discussion forums?

Either way it makes feckin deprseeing reading :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many actions of the IRA were deplorable. Does that make British state sanctioned murder any less disgusting? Of course it doesn't.
    But to be able to move on from it, both sides need to admit to wrong doing.
    Your post only mentioned wrong doing from one side, I wanted to add balance.