Options

Radio 1 - What really happened on 30 September 1967?

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    Radio 1 on 247 from 1967 here in west yorkshire was slightly better than Radio 270 had been, I'm sure it's because we are not far away from Holme Moss, DAB though isn't as good on the BBC side from Holme Moss all the other DAB channels blow away Say Radio 2 on DAB??? now whats that saying .... nothing changes does it, Radio 1 on 247 in much of East Anglia was rubbish it's ironic because Radio's Caroline & London before were very strong there probably because Norfolk is mostly flat.

It had reasonable reception in built up areas, but could be patchy in places like Cumbria. Yet with no competition and no chance of ILR round here, we managed. 275 and 285 were far better and it was just as well Radio 1 moved here in 1978 as the second generation of ILR stations were opening up.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Is there really a higher broadcast quality the higher up the kHZ or mHZ scales on the AM and FM wavebands?

92.1 mHZ sounds just the same reception quality as 103.1 mHZ.
    This refers to daytime groundwave propagation on MW. A lower frequency will provide a larger coverage area, e.g. Radio Stoke at 1kW covers only the local area, but Spectrum on 558kHz at the same power covers most of South East England and Droitwich on 198 LW covers England and Wales.

It also explains why 390 and Laser were received so well and why Caroline used lower and lower frequencies over the years.

Fading becomes more pronounced at higher frequencies because distant listeners will be more reliant on skywave, and a smaller change in path difference is needed to bring about phase cancellation.
  • Options
    Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    247/1215 kHz is too high a frequency for a single site, UK wide, or even England wide service. However, some of us are old enough to remember Radio 3 on 647 kHz from Daventry, that was superbly clear over a very large area,
    Daventry R3 was indeed very clear over much of England and parts of Wales, however it was R3's only high-power transmitter. Beyond Daventry's reach there were some low power fillers but if you weren't close to them R3 on 647 kHz could be difficult to pick up, example the Channel coast of Kent. Daventry didn't serve Northern England beyond Manchester nor did it get into Devon & Cornwall, so only very good for some, admitted it did serve a high proportion of England's population.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    A licence for listening to the radio. Never heard of that one before.
    Abolished on 1 Feb 1971 when it cost the equivalent of £1.25.

By then most households had a TV licence (which also covered radio), and enforcement had become impractical because of portable radios.
  • Options
    Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holme Moss was (and still is) a VHF only site. You mean Moorside Edge ?
    I'm sure they must. I remember as a kid visiting family in Huddersfield in 1972 or 73, I couldn't believe how good the Radio 1 signal was until my cousin pointed out Moorside Edge just up the road. Sadly it was then back to Peterborough and pretty rubbish reception of 247 metres!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »

By then most households had a TV licence (which also covered radio), and enforcement had become impractical because of portable radios.
    Everyone is authorised to listen to several types of transmission - licensed broadcast stations, amateur radio stations and standard frequency transmissions. It is illegal to listen to anything else though not normally enforced. Anything else needs a specific licence - some people working on PMR and utility radio systems have personal issue receive only licences though most don't bother.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walt Ham wrote: »
    Daventry R3 was indeed very clear over much of England and parts of Wales, however it was R3's only high-power transmitter. Beyond Daventry's reach there were some low power fillers but if you weren't close to them R3 on 647 kHz could be difficult to pick up, example the Channel coast of Kent. Daventry didn't serve Northern England beyond Manchester nor did it get into Devon & Cornwall, so only very good for some, admitted it did serve a high proportion of England's population.

I recall reading somewhere, that the Beeb had hoped to use 261m (1151 kHz) as a second R1 frequency, but of course in 1972 that was allocated to the IBA for ILR ?

647 from Daventry augmented by 247 could have worked ?
    Westerglen and Burghead could have transmitted 647 in the same way
    they do for 198 ?

Only problem, how would they have served R3 on MF, (1967 a bit too early to make it FM only !)
  • Options
    Colin_WilliamsColin_Williams Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Gerry1 wrote: »

And you were supposed to have a separate licence for a car radio!
  • Options
    BemiamigoBemiamigo Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Although this is an interesting discussion the original point of the MiAmigo feature
    http://wp.me/p33t2I-nn was that after the Tony Blackburn Show on the first day of Radio 1 we actually got a re-named Children's Favourites which had been there since 1954 and Saturday Club with Keith Skues replacing Brian Matthew - and that had been there since 1958!

In fact Radio 1 provided a 6 Hour Service that day if you strip out the Light Prgramme material.

Even Chris Denning and Pete Brady had Pete Murray sandwiched in between them in the afternoon.

Compared to Radio London broadcasting pop for 20.5 hours a day - this was a con.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,905
    Forum Member
    And you were supposed to have a separate licence for a car radio!

With posters to remind you
    http://www.radiolicence.org.uk/licencecarradios.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I recall reading somewhere, that the Beeb had hoped to use 261m (1151 kHz) as a second R1 frequency, but of course in 1972 that was allocated to the IBA for ILR? )

Yes they did, there's a detailed history of the Radio 1 transmitter network here
    http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/r1_transmission.html#m247

The same site has another article on the BBC AM transmitter network in those years
    http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/trans_hist2.html
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holme Moss was (and still is) a VHF only site. You mean Moorside Edge ?

Yes your right, I always thought Holme Moss carried the BBC's Radio services here. It seems Moorside Edge put out a very good signal here it seems the BBC doesn't own this site anymore.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes your right, I always thought Holme Moss carried the BBC's Radio services here. It seems Moorside Edge put out a very good signal here it seems the BBC doesn't own this site anymore.

The BBC have not owned any transmitter sites or transmitters for many years.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The BBC transmitter assets were sold in 1997, site now operated by Arqiva. Transmits 5 Live, Talksport and Absolute Radio.
  • Options
    MrRayDOMrRayDO Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony's first show was recorded
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    MrRayDO wrote: »

I think he recorded it several times for Press / TV etc, but he said the actual show was live, and they went for breakfast afterwards and someone brought in the early reviews for the Sunday papers which were very positive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I think he recorded it several times for Press / TV etc, but he said the actual show was live, and they went for breakfast afterwards and someone brought in the early reviews for the Sunday papers which were very positive

Just checked Johnny Beerling's Radio One The Inside Story. Chapter One is a short account of the first show which was live. He says there were too many people crowded into the continuity studio including camera crew and top brass.

In Chapter 4 he says

"I do remember that classic piece of film where Tony is supposedly opening the network which the news people drag out to illustrate every story about Radio One. Was actually recreated again after transmission. The TV crew were not happy about the first take, there wasn't room for them to get all the right camera angles. In that film clip you can't see me. It looks as if the only person there, apart from Tony, was Robin Scott."

He also says it was John Dunn who said "Now here is the news in English" after Rosko.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Just checked Johnny Beerling's Radio One The Inside Story. Chapter One is a short account of the first show which was live. He says there were too many people crowded into the continuity studio including camera crew and top brass.

In Chapter 4 he says

"I do remember that classic piece of film where Tony is supposedly opening the network which the news people drag out to illustrate every story about Radio One. Was actually recreated again after transmission. The TV crew were not happy about the first take, there wasn't room for them to get all the right camera angles. In that film clip you can't see me. It looks as if the only person there, apart from Tony, was Robin Scott."

He also says it was John Dunn who said "Now here is the news in English" after Rosko.
    Ah right I have that first Rosco show somewhere I know a site where you can hear it but you have to subscribe to it. Rosko isn't too happy about the news reader saying that, Kieth Skues does the link to the show going to give this another listen.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »

In Chapter 4 he says

Thanks for that Mike, i was working from memory of the Radio 4 documentary from 2007 - i just recall TB saying that the clip everyone sees wasn't the actual moment the station launched.
    There was another excellent one about "Flowers in The Rain" and how The Move had to give all Royalties from it to Harold Wilson and thus never made a bean from it
    Ah right I have that first Rosco show somewhere I know a site where you can hear it but you have to subscribe to it. Rosko isn't too happy about the news reader saying that, Kieth Skues does the link to the show going to give this another listen.

Didn't Rosko broadcast from Paris?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Mike, i was working from memory of the Radio 4 documentary from 2007 - i just recall TB saying that the clip everyone sees wasn't the actual moment the station launched.
    There was another excellent one about "Flowers in The Rain" and how The Move had to give all Royalties from it to Harold Wilson and thus never made a bean from it

I had heard that he did & it does sound like John Dunn is reading the news it just cuts in no news jingle so he probably was in Paris for that first show, Rosco is on full power he sounds as though it's coming From Caroline South :D The news item in The London Evening Standard on the first day of Radio 1 creases me The BBC now stands for Beatles, Bee Gees & Cliff Auntie has gone A 'Go Go so funny, The BBC wasn't ready for this I'm sure the Grey suits at the BBC would be cringing. The clip I have of the show lasts 40 mins & Rosco's show is called Midday Spin & Kieth Skues is doing saturday club still echo's of the Light Programme anyone interested in this feel free to pm me.
  • Options
    JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    A good insight into the first months of Radio 1 is contained in Keith Skues' book Radio Onederland.

It traces the build up the launch, the launch, the people behind the station and the first few weeks of programmes.

It sometimes crops up on ebay. I managed to get mine for £5 but I've just checked and there's one for sale for £ 103...gulp!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radio-Onederland-The-Story-of-Radio-One-Keith-Skues-Good-Hardcover-/301237336329?pt=Antiquarian_Books_UK&hash=item462324f909
  • Options
    Gaz112Gaz112 Posts: 436
    Forum Member

Hell even today if you go to a football match it's best to take a small MW radio to hear other clubs results because FM can't cut it when it comes to portability in different locations. ;-);-)

Nowadays, I just take my smartphone and look the results up on BBC sport...
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrRayDO wrote: »

Rubbish! Proof please!
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, from London although later he recorded his shows at RTL and sent the tapes to the Beeb! I know because the hospital radio station I was involved with were sent the same tapes 3 weeks before BBC transmission (So we could steal the jingles!):D
  • Options
    JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Rubbish! Proof please!

Tony's first show was recorded. I've got a telescoped version of it. I keep meaning to get around to re-inserting the music.

It's one of those things I'll do when I'm less bored !!!