End of tax disc 1st oct

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Laughing at some of the posts on here :D

I don't see what the issue is - it's just one thing less to worry about. And it was known about ages ago:

Link

Dd suits me fine
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdcage wrote: »
    So will we still get reminder letters when the tax is due?

I don't really understand why this is happening, I once got pulled over by the police for having an out-of-date disc and they only noticed because of the difference in colour. Won't a lot of people get away with having out of date ones in future?

Yes, they will send out reminders unless you opt for direct debit.

In truth, the police don't look at your tax disc anymore. They have a little camera in the front of their police car that looks at every number plate it passes and checks against a list of non-taxed, non-insured and non-MOT cars and the on board computer sounds a ping when it sees one. In addition to this the DVLA will use camera vans to patrol and check for untaxed vehicles.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »

In truth, the police don't look at your tax disc anymore. They have a little camera in the front of their police car that looks at every number plate it passes and checks against a list of non-taxed, non-insured and non-MOT cars and the on board computer sounds a ping when it sees one. In addition to this the DVLA will use camera vans to patrol and check for untaxed vehicles.

Plus there are thousands of static ANPR cameras on roads around the country that pick up on un-taxed cars and cars that have been SORN'd and shouldn't be on the road.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new rules also put the onus on used car sellers to inform the DVLA, when they sell their vehicle,

Drivers who buy a used car will not benefit from any months left on the tax disc.

It means buyers will have to renew their tax disc immediately, or risk being caught in an untaxed car.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/New-tax-disc-rules-Motorists-warned-face-1-000/story-22734446-detail/story.html

I take it they will make it easier to pay online without having to register for a Government Gateway Account and wait for a user card with number to come in the post as the current system only allows you to do so with certain codes surely now you wont need any codes or reminders form them you can just use your name and reg no and I assume they will stop the message that you cannot renew your disc online you must attend a post office ( all local DVLA offices are now closed down )

Also I assume you will have a grace period to buy the tax as after all it will take a while for the slip to reach DVLA from the seller (unless they change that to immediate online) , I mean they must have otherwise you would not be able to drive your car home when you buy it , especially used cars from a private seller unless you pay the minute you buy it and hope there is a computer available.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member

Evo102 wrote: »
    Plus there are thousands of static ANPR cameras on roads around the country that pick up on un-taxed cars and cars that have been SORN'd and shouldn't be on the road.

Ah, I see! Must admit, when I was pulled over it was about 25 years ago.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People panic for no reason, it will all be ok
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member

Makes things tricky for Police on foot though...

This seems to be an example of solution to a problem that didn't exist. Having a paper disc does not preclude the electronic checking, and how many people are that bothered about a paper disc in their car? I think it will mean more abandoned cars hanging around for longer as well.

Besides, I like my Tax Disc holder. My car will seem naked without it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I take it they will make it easier to pay online without having to register for a Government Gateway Account and wait for a user card with number to come in the post as the current system only allows you to do so with certain codes surely now you wont need any codes or reminders form them you can just use your name and reg no and I assume they will stop the message that you cannot renew your disc online you must attend a post office ( all local DVLA offices are now closed down )

Also I assume you will have a grace period to buy the tax as after all it will take a while for the slip to reach DVLA from the seller (unless they change that to immediate online) , I mean they must have otherwise you would not be able to drive your car home when you buy it , especially used cars from a private seller unless you pay the minute you buy it and hope there is a computer available.

You don't need a gateway account... I've been buying my tax disc online a number of years now and there has always been an "unofficial" two week grace period.

No one who ever bought a 2nd hand car from a dealer *ever* got a partial tax disc with it because for years the first thing a dealer does is cash in the remaining discs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »

This seems to be an example of solution to a problem that didn't exist. Having a paper disc does not preclude the electronic checking, and how many people are that bothered about a paper disc in their car? I think it will mean more abandoned cars hanging around for longer as well.

I'm going to replace mine with a poster claiming I haven't paid for my tax, just to see what happens......
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't see what the issue is - it's just one thing less to worry about. And it was known about ages ago:

Link

I never worried about it.

10 seconds each year was not a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never worried about it.

10 seconds each year was not a problem

Exactly, and it will still be the same process.

Rowdy, I understand 'Deep Purple' is a police officer, and even he didn't know about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you think? gonna be a bit tricky to nick that tax disc now isn't it? something that I'm sure cost the DVLA loads each year... just in admin costs alone I'd say... no more discs lost in the post.. more admin savings there.... spreading the cost of a disc over thee course of a year if you want.... that's a boon for ever car driver.... a lot of us have to find MOT / Insurance / tax all in the same month or over a couple of months.

This is something "they" have mostly right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    you think? gonna be a bit tricky to nick that tax disc now isn't it? something that I'm sure cost the DVLA loads each year... just in admin costs alone I'd say... no more discs lost in the post.. more admin savings there.... spreading the cost of a disc over thee course of a year if you want.... that's a boon for ever car driver.... a lot of us have to find MOT / Insurance / tax all in the same month or over a couple of months.

This is something "they" have mostly right.

How is this going to change that? I'm one of those where everything falls in the same month, ie - tax, mot and insurance, that's nothing to do with whether I have a paper disc or not, it just is. There was always the opportunity to break up the tax charges into twice yearly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cars without discs is going to be weird.

I will leave mine in until it expires though :kitty:
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »

There is no grace period for taxing your newly acquired vehicle!

The V5 paperwork still needs to be completed, however, that in itself has no bearing the ‘immediacy’ of taxing your new vehicle.

By all accounts the DVLA will take a very stringent line. They’ve made ample provision for taxing vehicles 24/7 and if you fail to comply they “ will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger”

When you take ownership of a vehicle it must be taxed without delay, otherwise you’ll face a stiff penalty. :o

If you buy a vehicle on Sunday for example, you MUST tax it immediately by phone or online; excuses like “the Post Office is closed on Sunday” will not be tolerated.

When the new system kicks in I guess it will be a case of ‘watch this space’.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't a waste of money because you still have to pay your tax, only now you just don't have to display the disc, apparently.
    incy wincy wrote: »
    It's not a waste of money, you still have to pay car tax same as ever, you just won't need to display the disc as of 1st Oct.
    Ok, thanks.

Why are there so many people who aren't aware of this change? Surely the DVLA should be doing everything they can to let people know eg. TV PSAs etc. Unless they have and I've just missed it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is this going to change that? I'm one of those where everything falls in the same month, ie - tax, mot and insurance, that's nothing to do with whether I have a paper disc or not, it just is. There was always the opportunity to break up the tax charges into twice yearly.

It will allow people to budget and in this day and age that is a good thing, particularly as the tax on older cars is getting pretty steep.

You wouldn't be able to pay monthly without this change so as well as paying for an MOT (possibly work associated with passing the MOT) , Insurance , you have to pay for your tax as well, I can choose to pay monthly for my insurance and now I can choose to pay monthly for my tax as well and because I tax and insure two cars that to me is a very good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Ok, thanks.

Why are there so many people who aren't aware of this change? Surely the DVLA should be doing everything they can to let people know eg. TV PSAs etc. Unless they have and I've just missed it all.

I swear to god I'm invisible in this thread :D

You don't need to know about ti until your current tax disc is due for renewal and when it is , you'll get all the info in the same letter as your renewal notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Link
    It's not an "issue", I'm just wondering how this info passed me by. I didn't have a clue about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, thanks.

I can't remember where I heard of it tbh, but as I mentioned earlier there's a poster on here who's a police officer and he didn't know, (I'm just assuming that people in his position would be in the know, I don't know why!!). I don't think there's been a tv ad about it, which is strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't need to know about ti until your current tax disc is due for renewal and when it is , you'll get all the info in the same letter as your renewal notice.
    Mine was due for renewal at the beginning of August there (I said July before but it was actually August) and there was nothing mentioned about the change. It was just a normal renewal as I've had before.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're not invisible, it's just that people want to know why this wasn't reported/explained about through the usual channels, ie, adverts, letters. Which is usually the case for a change in legislation.
  • Options
    gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not an "issue", I'm just wondering how this info passed me by. I didn't have a clue about it.

Mainly due to poor advertising the amount of people at work who don't know about it is unbelievable,i only found out by chance a few months ago.But besides that lol my main topic was what will you do with your holder i was going to put an everton badge in mine then thought prob get my windshield smashed.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was due for renewal at the beginning of August there (I said July before but it was actually August) and there was nothing mentioned about the change. It was just a normal renewal as I've had before.

One of mine was also due for renewal at the beginning of August... the envelpoe it came in had a big notice on the front about it.... it contained a leaflet about it as well. I find it hard to believe that yours wasn't the same. My otehr one is due for renewal from the end of August.... the renewal notice arrived and it had exactly the same information on it and in it. Perhaps you should take it personally.

I've also seen it in several motoring sections of daily newspapers.

lastly.... why do you need to know about it now? if you had to buy a disc for August then for the next two months you need to display it, you can continue to display until your next renewal and then you'll get all the details again.

Nope, I'm afraid you are being "outraged" for the sake of being outraged at least you're in good company... there's a lot of it in this thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I don't know how I'm going to cope once my disc expires.

I'm a bit emotional to be honest... I'm not afraid to admit I'm trying to fight back the tears.

I'm sorry, I don't feel like I can type right now.