Options

Vintage gas cooker

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »

I did see that, thanks evil c. Unfortunately It's a LONG way from me and I'd rather not end up with 2 unusable ranges if possible :)
    I'm still hoping I will be able to find parts rather than have to buy another cooker but...... we will see. I certainly haven't given up on my 1950's kitchen project yet!
    (And In fact I have been 'hunter gathering' some other delightful vintage things for it.)
    But thank you so much for continuing to support my search! You and seacam have been brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seacam - I have PM'd you :)
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam - I have PM'd you :)
    OK. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great buy vintage and what a fantastic cleaning job. :)

Just a word on the Taps, they are latish 60s early 70s and I was fitting a version of them as late as the late eighties.

The originals would have been single cross head pillar taps.

These are still available but would implore you to refit what you have, they are great, just great. :)

What ever you decide, new rubber tap washers, and the underside of sink, top hats and brass flange nuts, do not use metal or plastic ones for the taps.

You may decide to leave well alone but you can buy small bottles of white enamel paint.

Cabinets, still come across those in use in kitchens.
    :)
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    You and seacam have been brilliant.

Thanks for your kind words but all I've contributed is to search online and 'phone a few people who told me nothing useful. Seacam's done all the hard work and his breadth of knowledge about this and all sorts of other subjects, and especially construction/building is amazing, as well as his willingness to help. If there's anything he can't do I haven't come across it yet.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, I love this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks seacam - did you see the undersink cabinet? I am in the process of rubbing it down, making a new shelf and will paint and put new hinges on.
    It did come with the original taps exactly as you stated, although they were in terrible condition! (you can see them in the 'dirty' photo). I got the supataps seperately. I have ALWAYS loved them, such a fab design, They were originally made in 1953 although I think mine are 60s.
    The larder cabinet is another 'always wanted' it's actually in perfect nick and has a white enamel fold down work surface. It just needs new glass in the top doors.
    I will touch up the few dings in the sink, I don't mind at all if it doesn't look perfect. The sink is beautifully deep unlike my current shallow nightmare. A proper 'laundry sink'.
    Can you guess what I paid for the sink/cabinet complete? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks seacam - did you see the undersink cabinet? I am in the process of rubbing it down, making a new shelf and will paint and put new hinges on.
    It did come with the original taps exactly as you stated, although they were in terrible condition! (you can see them in the 'dirty' photo). I got the supataps seperately. I have ALWAYS loved them, such a fab design, They were originally made in 1953 although I think mine are 60s.
    The larder cabinet is another 'always wanted' it's actually in perfect nick and has a white enamel fold down work surface. It just needs new glass in the top doors.
    I will touch up the few dings in the sink, I don't mind at all if it doesn't look perfect. The sink is beautifully deep unlike my current shallow nightmare. A proper 'laundry sink'.
    Can you guess what I paid for the sink/cabinet complete? :)
    No idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again, I love this thread.

me too :)

I think these are interesting re the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bvQHfwi3Vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6Jc6sntEE&list=PL405F983DCA75BBB1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    No idea.

£3.20 (and a bit of a drive!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £3.20 (and a bit of a drive!)
    Hi,

I was thinking £15 and I have seen them go for £50 so what a buy. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I was thinking £15 and I have seen them go for £50 so what a buy. :)

I'm very happy with it, am enjoying this kitchen collection very much! Hoping to do some more soon ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So......to derail this thread a little bit, I wonder if anyone is old enough to remember the crockery men who used to sell in street markets? I was at a market the other day with my daughters and there was a butcher there doing amazing patter throwing huge piles of steaks into bags and being very entertaining. "Just one more sirloin, and look! I'll add six lamb chops, and thats not all, a pound of mince on top!" etc. It took me back to being very small and the AMAZING guys who used to sell crockery and would throw baskets around with a full dinner service in them. If anyone remembers, or even better can find a bit of film of these chaps and their patter then that would be delightful. Is it just me, or does anyone else remember these??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No-one? crikey I thought you lot knew everything!

Ok, so. I've bought a second rangette! With (hopefully) the right parts I need........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one? crikey I thought you lot knew everything!

Ok, so. I've bought a second rangette! With (hopefully) the right parts I need........
    The one you wrote about?
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    When I was a kid there was a crockery market stall trader in Birkenhead market who used to juggle plates as part of his sales pitch. I haven't thought of that for years and years but your post triggered a long forgotten memory. I seem to remember seeing it done at a market stall in Liverpool more recently too.

I found this extract - "Some, selling crockery, would pile an entire setting onto a large plate, and then send the lot, high into the air. Catching the construction on its way down was to demonstrate the skill of the vendor, and the robustness of the porcelain." here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petticoat_Lane_Market
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to see those at the lane in London. Always had a huge crowed round the stall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The one you wrote about?

yes, the one I pm'd about :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    When I was a kid there was a crockery market stall trader in Birkenhead market who used to juggle plates as part of his sales pitch. I haven't thought of that for years and years but your post triggered a long forgotten memory. I seem to remember seeing it done at a market stall in Liverpool more recently too.

I found this extract - "Some, selling crockery, would pile an entire setting onto a large plate, and then send the lot, high into the air. Catching the construction on its way down was to demonstrate the skill of the vendor, and the robustness of the porcelain." here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petticoat_Lane_Market

it was Petticoat Lane I would have been at evil c :) Although my other half remembers one in Sunderland so obviously a few around!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, the one I pm'd about :)
    Can I ask how much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can I ask how much?

sure! £67
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we married in '56 my mother-in-law gave us a new Gas Cooker for our wedding present. It was a New World 65 ,cream enamel with high level grill. There were no Flame Failure devices in those days on cookers, we never had a moments bother with it 'nor any Flame Failures, and my wife used to strip it down for cleaning, all burners were cast iron, I remember the Natural Gas Conversion being done FOC and the guy doing it remarking on cleanliness and condition of cooker. We left it there when we moved in '91 to this all Electric Bungalow we are on our 3rd Electric Cooker in this property.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    ... We left it there when we moved in '91 to this all Electric Bungalow we are on our 3rd Electric Cooker in this property.
    Last two houses I have had fitted electric cookers and I have had to replace about 5 heating elements, a fan, a cracked glass door, a plastic knob and quite a few oven bulbs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some 16 years ago I did a deal with New World and purchased I think around 60 free standing Gas Cookers, they were 550cm wide double door, ( grill and oven ), glass lid units.

I think we paid somewhere in the region of £75- £80 for them each wholesale.

They were so reliable, most of my tenants/clients at the time liked them, the only thing we seemed ever to replace on them were broken knobs and oven door bar handles.

If the old adage " they don't make them like they use to" applies to products it would be gas and electric ovens.

Accept save for one brand, there are IMO no well made cooker brands sold in this country and haven't been for a long time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some 16 years ago I did a deal with New World and purchased I think around 60 free standing Gas Cookers, they were 550cm wide double door, ( grill and oven ), glass lid units.

I think we paid somewhere in the region of £75- £80 for them each wholesale.

They were so reliable, most of my tenants/clients at the time liked them, the only thing we seemed ever to replace on them were broken knobs and oven door bar handles.

If the old adage " they don't make them like they use to" applies to products it would be gas and electric ovens.

Accept save for one brand, there are IMO no well made cooker brands sold in this country and haven't been for a long time.

So true! which is why I'm driving 'a long way' on Sunday to pick up a Rangette for parts :)
    My current oven/hob are electric and absolutely knackered after ten years. And tbh that's a few years longer than most would have put up with them!