Options

Kenny Everett on Radio 2 – Early 80s

ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,856
Forum Member
When did Ev’s Saturday show end?

I was looking through some papers from 1983 (March) and it said “Album Time” between 11-1. Had he gone by then?

Comments

• Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,860
    Forum Member
    His show ran from October 81 thru to 83 but not sure when in 1983

All I remember is my Dad always used to listen to Radio 2 in his workshop except when Kenny was on as he couldn't stand him.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got quite a lot of Radio Times from the early eighties and it seems that, like Noel Edmonds on Sunday morning Radio 1 at the same period, Cuddly Ken wasn't on Radio 2 all year round.

As we know the show started in October 1981, running until March 1982 at which point Ken went on a long holiday (which would have coincided with the end of his first BBC TV series) and Steve Jones presented for about two months before Ken returned in the middle of May and stayed until Christmas, by the looks of things. Then from January 1983 there was Album Time, as you say, but Ken was back in September. However the billing for Christmas Eve says it's his last show because "he has been lured away again by the electric fishtank".

So it looks as if the show ran more or less non-stop from October 1981 to December 1982 (with a gap in the middle) and then a "second series" was from September to December 1983.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    His show ran from October 81 thru to 83 but not sure when in 1983

All I remember is my Dad always used to listen to Radio 2 in his workshop except when Kenny was on as he couldn't stand him.

He made up for me then, because back then I couldn't stand Radio 2, except for Kenny's show !
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,896
    Forum Member
    Found an hour long tape of his show from '82 in the summer, great memories!
  • Options
    davenicefabfmdavenicefabfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Kenny first show back on Capital was Saturday 13th July 1985 Band Aid was on and I won a competition wish I still had the tape
  • Options
    RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect, as made clear in this thread, that there was a *huge* - and almost entirely generational - split between Kenny's audience and the rest of the Radio 2 audience at the time. He was on just before Radio 1 took over the FM frequencies and I'm sure that was deliberate.

That Christmas 1983 billing is interesting because of course he didn't do a TV series in 1984, indeed nothing except a Christmas show, and I wonder if he was at that time scheduled to do a TV series perhaps in the late winter/early spring, but couldn't because of the acrimonious nature of his departure from Radio 2 - that maybe there was some sort of lapsed contract or other dispute which prevented him doing any BBC TV work? And I don't think he ever really made up that lost ground in TV terms.

During this period he initially returned to Capital on 2nd June 1984, but his Capital shows for the next four years were also seasonal, presumably often taking a break while he was recording TV series. Capital's 12 noon-2pm slot (11am-1pm from spring 1986) - after Pick of the Pops Take Two, hence Kenny's many handovers with Fluff - went as follows:

2nd June-29th December 1984 - Kenny Everett (the Daily Mirror has a story about him coming back to Capital on 31st March 1984 but that's wrong)
    early 1985 - 'So You Thought They Were Hits?', basically playing old turntable hits
    Spring 1985 - Jessie Brandon
    13th July (going by this thread)-30th November 1985 - Kenny Everett
    patchy on this period, but Rory Bremner did the show on 7th December 1985, Jonathan King in January 1986 and Russ Kane in February
    1st March-26th April 1986 - Kenny Everett
    3rd May-26th July 1986 - Russ Kane
    2nd-30th August 1986 - Jonathan King
    6th & 13th September 1986 - something called 'Saturday Special'
    20th September 1986 - (Richard) 'Allinson's Aquatics'
    27th September 1986 - 'Capital Caper'
    4th October 1986-30th May 1987 - Kenny Everett
    6th June-11th July 1987 - Jonathan King
    18th July-26th September 1987 - Peter Young
    3rd October 1987-26th March 1988 - Kenny Everett

... and then Kenny went away for another three months (possibly while recording the science quiz he did for BBC TV, 'Brainstorm') and when he came back he was on the new Capital Gold, initially at weekends from 2nd July and then weekdays from 28th November 1988 until his final show on 12th August 1994. Though he did seem shrivelled and diminished in that format.

Loads of his 1984/85 Capital shows are on YouTube btw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info guys, esp Steve and Robin.

I had no idea he did the shows in blocks - I assume like Terry Wogan does now

I heard him on Capital Gold, the tight format (which he could do very well) did restrict him. I often wonder if he'd have gone to Classic FM at some point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Christmas 1983 billing is interesting because of course he didn't do a TV series in 1984, indeed nothing except a Christmas show, and I wonder if he was at that time scheduled to do a TV series perhaps in the late winter/early spring, but couldn't because of the acrimonious nature of his departure from Radio 2 - that maybe there was some sort of lapsed contract or other dispute which prevented him doing any BBC TV work? And I don't think he ever really made up that lost ground in TV terms..

I was going to suggest he didn't do a TV series in 1984 because he did Bloodbath At The House Of Death instead, although seemingly they filmed that in 1983, or because he fell out with Ray Cameron and stopped writing with him, but of course they did the 1984 Christmas show together and Cameron left in 1985. So I'm clueless, 1984 seems to be a bit of a lost year as far as Ken's career goes.

I dunno if we should take the Radio Times billing too literally because most of them were pretty stupid, it was probably easier to say that than say he was leaving because he was going to another radio station. I don't know how acrimonious his departure was because he could simply have disappeared rather than have a specific last programme.

I see there's a new biography of Cuddly Ken out which I was reading a bit of in Waterstones the other week, but I never got to that bit. If anyone wants to put it on their Christmas list.

By the looks of things Album Time then ran all year round for the next two years or so, which seems a very low-key show for an ostensible high profile slot. They didn't really go back to having a big name there until Michael Aspel arrived in 1987, with Album Time continuing in truncated form at lunchtime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kenny was eventually axed from Radio 2, because he told a rude joke bout Margaret Thatcher.
  • Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kenny was eventually axed from Radio 2, because he told a rude joke bout Margaret Thatcher.

"When England was a Kingdom, we had a King, When it was an Empire we had an Emperor. Now that we are we are just a country, we have Margaret Thatcher"

He also re-edited one of her speaches to give the inpression she was being very suggestive. Then, after playing the edit, referred to her on air as "A dirty old cow" not the sort of thing generally heard on Radio 2 at the time!
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masteriser wrote: »
    "When England was a Kingdom, we had a King, When it was an Empire we had an Emperor. Now that we are we are just a country, we have Margaret Thatcher"

He also re-edited one of her speaches to give the inpression she was being very suggestive. Then, after playing the edit, referred to her on air as "A dirty old cow" not the sort of thing generally heard on Radio 2 at the time!
    Excellent :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm just reading the latest biog about him, the producer, Geoff?? said Kenny had decided to go anyway by the time he came out with that line - and i think it was the week before his last show.

Interesting, Kenny said Radio 2 was perfect for him, even though most people thought he would go to R1 - the reason being, the R1 listeners wouldn't be too shocked with him!

I swear blind to this day Kenny played brief clip of an early version of "Dolly Parton's Tits". I can tell you the exact spot i was and I stood there open mouthed with my Dad :D
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I'm just reading the latest biog about him, the producer, Geoff?? said Kenny had decided to go anyway by the time he came out with that line - and i think it was the week before his last show.

Interesting, Kenny said Radio 2 was perfect for him, even though most people thought he would go to R1 - the reason being, the R1 listeners wouldn't be too shocked with him!

I swear blind to this day Kenny played brief clip of an early version of "Dolly Parton's Tits". I can tell you the exact spot i was and I stood there open mouthed with my Dad :D

He did. I remember it too!
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a great joke. If there's any (justice in the) afterlife, I'm sure Kenny's been with the angels for years, and hell recently gained another c***.
  • Options
    theoldiesmantheoldiesman Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Anyone got the audio ?
    That's a great joke. If there's any (justice in the) afterlife, I'm sure Kenny's been with the angels for years, and hell recently gained another c***.
  • Options
    PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good old Kenny, how I miss his radio shows :cry:
  • Options
    JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Bit of a coincidence really. I've just been digitising Kenny Everett's Radio 2 programmes.

His last programme for the station went out on December 24 1983. Last record was Paul McCartney/Pipes of Peace.

Previous posters are correct when they say he wasn't on all year round. Seems he was off air during some of the spring and summer months.

They were great programmes and it's surprising, listening back now, how he got away with a lot of stuff that he did on Radio 2.

His next appearance on the BBC was on Radio 1 on August 2 1986 when he did a pre-recorded programme for an eight part series called Radio Radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd love to hear these shows James, will they be uploaded anywhere?

How did the Capital Gold format suit Kenny? I heard him a couple of times and he seemed fine with it, played a couple of songs, made a quip about something in the news, and so on. There was no great innovative stuff that i heard, but as i say he seemed quite happy just playing records and making the odd comment here and there.
    Perhaps someone who heard him more often could offer an opinion?
  • Options
    JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I haven't uploaded them anywhere yet. I only finished transferring them from tape last weekend.

The Capital Gold programmes didn't have the same level of production as previous programmes but that's what happens....if you're on air five days a week, rather than just once, trying to produce innovative audio for a daily programme is almost impossible - it'd probably send you mad!

Slightly off topic - it's a shame his last programme on Radio 1, before he got fired in the 1970s, was rescued from an old BBC logger tape and the audio quality isn't particularly good. I could be wrong but I think that is the only copy in existence. BBC network radio has always been notoriously bad at archiving output from both Radio 1 and Radio 2.
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SevrinSevrin Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I've got a good quality recording from his first show 3rd October 1981. Radio 2 repeated it in 2007 as part of the 40th anniversary. Thought about uploading it but don't want to get a ban
  • Options
    SevrinSevrin Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Going back to the Thatcher thing which got him sacked he said (think it was Desert Island Discs) his producer handed it to him to read out just before he went off air, it wasn't planned
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    When did Ev’s Saturday show end?

I was looking through some papers from 1983 (March) and it said “Album Time” between 11-1. Had he gone by then?

sometime between april and october 1970 according to this.. http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/r1_sched_70_74.html

edit-sorry thought you meant his radio 1 saturday show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Capital Gold programmes didn't have the same level of production as previous programmes but that's what happens....if you're on air five days a week, rather than just once, trying to produce innovative audio for a daily programme is almost impossible - it'd probably send you mad!

That is of course what happened when he was given a daily slot on Radio 1 in the late sixties, he and his producer argued that they wouldn't have the time or energy to do what he did five days a week. And six months later Ken had indeed gone mad (even madder than usual) and Radio 1 realised they were right and he moved back to the weekends.