Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    I admit my utter distaste for Welbeck probably makes me more harsh on him but apart from pace I really don't think he has anything else positive to bring us!

I was hoping maybe LVG could land Klass-Jan Huntelaar??

I'm no Welbeck fan by a long way but I'm resigned to the fact the club love him and I honestly can't see him ever getting the boot (and especially not golden :D).
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    He's no world beater but he's a better player than Hernandez so no problem with Welbeck hanging about.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping maybe LVG could land Klass-Jan Huntelaar??

Huntelaar? No thanks. Most overrated striker in history, in my opinion.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim De Ville;74356676]Fletcher, Cleverley, Welbeck, Young and Kagawa will not be moved on, in my opinion.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there are no more out-goings at all.

EDIT: Looks like Benfica are close to a deal for Anderson....https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BveZOrSCEAAH6lr.jpg[/url

I agree about those 4. Personally I find the continuous claims that Welbeck's still developing more than a bit tedious because a team with Uniteds ambitions should have 4 strikers competing for 2 positions and they don't even have 3. You can get assists and crosses from midfielders but strikers are meant to score goals and he's never going to be a player that can be trusted to score the goals if 1 or both of the main 2 are injured.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another player that could leave might be Powell, since he hasn't featured for us for a while now.

Also I wonder what will happen with Zaha, so still a few decisions to be made yet I would say.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,523
    Forum Member

Seconded - never seen the appeal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree there, he should not be on our radar at all, put him in the same place as Mexas, in terms of links with us!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I agree about those 4. Personally I find the continuous claims that Welbeck's still developing more than a bit tedious because a team with Uniteds ambitions should have 4 strikers competing for 2 positions and they don't even have 3. You can get assists and crosses from midfielders but strikers are meant to score goals and he's never going to be a player that can be trusted to score the goals if 1 or both of the main 2 are injured.

The trouble is our midfielders don't produce that many assists or goals, so that puts extra pressure the strikers, so perhaps this hurts or puts more emphasis on Welbeck's goal tally, that it might do, if say we had goals coming from all over the pitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another player that could leave might be Powell, since he hasn't featured for us for a while now.

The BBC are apparently reporting that he'll be allowed to leave.
  • Options
    happymonkeyhappymonkey Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda interesting that people feel that way but each to their own.

I'd be more than happy with Huntelaar!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    United fans made the Italian papers over protests about the Glazers :-

Check out @Juventus__fan's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Juventus__fan/status/501958541331021824
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC are apparently reporting that he'll be allowed to leave.

That doesn't surprise me, hopefully he goes to as club where he will get game time, which will allow him to continue his development, perhaps back at Wigan again?
    Kinda interesting that people feel that way but each to their own.

I'd be more than happy with Huntelaar!

Yeah that is fine, I am just in the camp that doesn't want him here.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is our midfielders don't produce that many assists or goals, so that puts extra pressure the strikers, so perhaps this hurts or puts more emphasis on Welbeck's goal tally, that it might do, if say we had goals coming from all over the pitch.

With that being the case then he may aswell permanently be a winger but it still means United need another striker because he clearly can't do both, as much as I'd love to see him prove me wrong.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I don't get the Glazer protests, I'd rather them than say Man City's owner structure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a picture of Fellaini on crutches, so that doesn't look to good really.

Check out @itvfootball's Tweet: https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/502064828471844864
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,544
    Forum Member
    Too many changes at the same time won't help us. One or two more to strengthen in mid-to defence is all we need or should want in this window, what we would then have should be plenty strong enough to make the top 4 and that would make things easier for us to further strengthen next summer.

I think the problem last week was primarily the injuries and unfit players and until that situation is resolved, we will continue to struggle. Sunderland could be a real problem.

And the Glazer protesters should grow up, that ain't gonna help one bit.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    I don't get the Glazer protests, I'd rather them than say Man City's owner structure.

I don't get the sense of entitlement people have. The argument of 'doing this to our club'. Just because you chose to support a club it doesn't give you any right to say what should and shouldn't happen. I can't imagine me going to the owner of where I work and saying 'We've not had a pay rise for two years but you've got a new company car and thats not on'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Completely agree, I don't know what some fans are expecting.
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,500
    Forum Member
    It's not like they haven't spent money. I don't think it has been spent that wisely considering where you are now to where you were at the start of that period.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img539/5628/jB53sh.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Obviously though it's not as simple as that. The signings of Shaw, Mata and Herrera for around £100M of that total are way too early to judge, all three could and should be successes at the club, Manchester United certainly aren't worse off having signed them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Obviously though it's not as simple as that. The signings of Shaw, Mata and Herrera for around £100M of that total are way too early to judge, all three could and should be successes at the club, Manchester United certainly aren't worse off having signed them.

Agreed.

Only Fellaini could really be judged a poor signing in the last few years, and even he's not a poor player, just completely the wrong player.
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    It's not like they haven't spent money. I don't think it has been spent that wisely considering where you are now to where you were at the start of that period.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img539/5628/jB53sh.jpg

https://twitter.com/RedDevilTickets/status/501747474307223552/photo/1

For the record, we've spent well in the last five transfer windows (or it might be six, can't remember).

12/13:
    Kagawa
    Van Persie
    Zaha
    Henriquez
    Buttner
    Varela

13/14:
    Fellaini
    Mata

14/15 (so far):

Shaw
    Herrera
    Rojo

Not spent wisely? I don't think you can argue there's areas that now need to be spent on but that's came to the surprise of most within the blink of an eye. Go back a season when we were linked with countless defenders, every United fan was saying we'd be crazy to buy a defender because we were so stocked at the back. Out of nowhere that changed and not many people expected it to happen so quickly. Midfield is the only area we've really ignored for too long.

I don't see many complaints with the money spent above bar Fellaini. Kagawa, even if he hasn't worked out on the level expected, was a coup at 12 million. Van Persie was world class, won the title as soon as we signed him with him tearing the league up. Mata is top notch that provides creativity in the final third. And I'd argue so far, despite us probably wanting a couple more signings, we've actually done three great deals. Shaw is already quality and SHOULD have us sorted at left back for years upon years. Herrera is fantastic and exactly the type of player we need in the middle. Rojo is at a good price and could fit well under LVG. The likes of Zaha haven't quite worked out so far but they're punts every team take.

We've spent mostly well, think people are panicking way too much considering there's still time for more additions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Herrea shirt has just been delivered, so I am happy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

Only Fellaini could really be judged a poor signing in the last few years, and even he's not a poor player, just completely the wrong player.

Bebe for £7 million can also be classed as poor signing, as that sort of fee is not one that can be just ignored.
This discussion has been closed.