Options

Islamic State Milliants Behead U.S Reporter

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    And THAT sounds like "oh well if you complain about being rounded up and imprisoned, you MUST have had something to hide". When has ANY good EVER come from rounding up a group of people, putting them under ultra strict conditions, treating them like they are all terrorists?

If they complain about police intrusion then clearly the onus is on them to sort it out. I was merely replying to the FM who said it was a problem that everyone should help solve.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    AsimMalik wrote: »
    I'm not deflecting nor comparing what IS are doing to the Catholic priests. What I am saying is that if it's the Muslims problem to sort out IS, do I not have to be part of a solution to sort out the Catholic's mess?

My point is it's in everybody's interests to tackle extremism and terrorism and it should be a joint effort between both Muslims and non-Muslims.

It's in the Muslim population's interest to tackle extremism as much as non Muslims as look at what they're doing to their opponents in Iraq and Syria and elsewhere.

Clearly they're prepared to kill anyone regardless of religion if they refuse to conform.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I agree there were issues but I don't find your parallels between 19th century Catholicism and 21st century political Islam remotely comparable.

Well just because you don't see it doesn't make it less real I am afraid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    I wouldnt call you vermin and think it is wrong to do so. However I hope you can understand how alot of people feel about some muslims not integrating into OUR society and respect our way of life. I think we are lucky that there is not more trouble in this country but it could happen if these sort of atrocities carry on as us moderate Brits will not put up with our way of life being threatened.

I am a Brit, I have lived here since the day I was born so it is also MY society and MY way of life, so yes I understand that. I am a firm believer in people coming here and integrating. My parents did it back in the 80s and despite living in Pakistan for 20 years before coming here, they integrated into society and brought me up as a British person.

So as I say, yes I completely understand the need for integration as it's been hammered into me since I was a kid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems the US attempted to free the hostsges but failed :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28875827
  • Options
    Forum Member

That sounds suspiciously like the old adage 'scratch a moderate and you'll uncover an extremism'.

No it sounds more like treat a moderate badly and he will become angry and vulnerable to being turned to extremism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Louise32 wrote: »
    It's in the Muslim population's interest to tackle extremism as much as non Muslims as look at what they're doing to their opponents in Iraq and Syria and elsewhere.

Clearly they're prepared to kill anyone regardless of religion if they refuse to conform.

I agree, I said that at the start. It was others who told me it was my responsibility as a Muslim to do it.
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea, no one ever becomes an extremist because of religion alone, right? lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw some graffiti on a wall which said 'us muslims will outbreed you'. Chilling but true.

A 2001 report by the ONS revealed the following birth rates by ethnicity (i.e. the average of children each mother would have):

White 1.8
    Afro-Caribbean 1.8
    Indian 2.3
    Pakistani 4.0
    Bangladeshi 4.7
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Well just because you don't see it doesn't make it less real I am afraid.

I think you are in the minority - like the extremists themselves.

Most the UK is tired of these apologetic comparisons I am afraid. We just want to know that 30% of UK muslims do not sympathize with muslim terrorists - which sadly is not the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 2001 report by the ONS revealed the following birth rates by ethnicity (i.e. the average of children each mother would have):

White 1.8
    Afro-Caribbean 1.8
    Indian 2.3
    Pakistani 4.0
    Bangladeshi 4.7

These figures are incredible. Credit where credit is for the mainstream media working hard to hide these figures. They really earn their money in this department.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a Brit, I have lived here since the day I was born so it is also MY society and MY way of life, so yes I understand that. I am a firm believer in people coming here and integrating. My parents did it back in the 80s and despite living in Pakistan for 20 years before coming here, they integrated into society and brought me up as a British person.

So as I say, yes I completely understand the need for integration as it's been hammered into me since I was a kid.

Its a pity Asim that you appear to be in the minority of muslims or is it that we only notice the ones that are not prepared to integrate into our society. I for one would like to see the burka banned for a start. There is absolutely no need for them to be worn in this country and it just inflames our opinion against muslims.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Countries in the Middle East can't function in a democracy as there always will be someone out there who will try to abuse democracy and use it as a back door for Islamism. Only totalitarian regimes can work there. In Iraq we had Saddam. He was a lunatic yes, but he was the only one who was able to keep everyone under control there and keep the country stable, despite the fact Americans did not like him. Libya had Ghaddafi. When Ghadafi was ruling Lybya, it was a rich and prosperous country free of radical islam and sectarian violance. Look at the state of Libya today after "democracy" kicked in. What happened in Egypt when Mubarak was toppled? Unrest and almost the state of war. Only after the military rule and general Al-Sisi took over, things started getting back to normal. I can not forget to mention Syria. Assad is only a bad guy because he is a Russian and not American ally. Democracy in the Middle East should not be allowed. Period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you think islam is going to fade in the UK or rise?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its a pity Asim that you appear to be in the minority of muslims or is it that we only notice the ones that are not prepared to integrate into our society. I for one would like to see the burka banned for a start. There is absolutely no need for them to be worn in this country and it just inflames our opinion against muslims.

I'm sure Asim would like to see the burka banned as well given how keen they are on the idea of integration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

White 1.8
    Afro-Caribbean 1.8
    Indian 2.3
    Pakistani 4.0
    Bangladeshi 4.7

I wonder what it is in 2014.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt they will release the figures.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't that alarmist.

After the gallup poll came out where they sent people to survey the arab world on their beliefs and desires etc.

They came back saying that the majority of muslims had the same desires and concerns as western people....

Except it left about 300m people who believed in Jihad or sympathised with terrorists.
    Nah, it's ok, it only works to around 100m. One hundred million people who qualified by saying things like the 9/11 attacks were justified.

So nothing to worry about there really, we've got a moderate majority!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    Countries in the Middle East can't function in a democracy as there always will be someone out there who will try to abuse democracy and use it as a back door for Islamism. Only totalitarian regimes can work there. In Iraq we had Saddam. He was a lunatic yes, but he was the only one who was able to keep everyone under control there and keep the country stable, despite the fact Americans did not like him. Libya had Ghaddafi. When Ghadafi was ruling Lybya, it was a rich and prosperous country free of radical islam and sectarian violance. Look at the state of Libya today after "democracy" kicked in. What happened in Egypt when Mubarak was toppled? Unrest and almost the state of war. Only after the military rule and general Al-Sisi took over, things started getting back to normal. I can not forget to mention Syria. Assad is only a bad guy because he is a Russian and not American ally. Democracy in the Middle East should not be allowed. Period.

Yes, the much-hyped 'arab spring' has turned into a long, miserable winter of discontent and barbarity. Who'd have thought it...

I remember The Guardian being jubilant that the arab world was finally rising as one to throw off the shackles of tyranny and take its place in the modern world of enlightenment and democracy. What a joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, I said that at the start. It was others who told me it was my responsibility as a Muslim to do it.

Society as a whole has to do something about it-that is society against extremism.

Sadly I think it's a problem that's going to take a long time to solve.

I just hope they can sort the situation out as peacefully as possible but I suspect that won't be the case.

I can see it taking years to solve this problem.

I do think the world has a habit of bringing up these forms of extremism, it's like with Hitler during the 2nd World War, just extreme ideologies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »

My friend and I were saying the exact same thing today. Unfortunately the Arab Spring has opened a can of worms and we must take responsibility for that. One dreads to think what will happen in Afghanistan when we leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder what it is in 2014.

This article in The Spectator throws some light on the topic:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2014/01/is-the-startling-rise-in-muslim-infants-as-positive-as-the-times-suggests/

The comments section pretty much mirrors the debates on DS.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I apologize if you posted on this subject already.

How horrified were you by the murder of the journalist?

Is there anything you think moderate Muslims can do to stop extremism!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Of course people only notice people that don't integrate (or act differently), it's the same in a lot of situations in my opinion. People will notice an extrovert gay person before they will notice one that sits in the background for example. People will notice a group of Muslims are not talking English before they notice a group of Muslims next to them that are. I do it myself lol.

The Burka I have no real opinion on if I'm completely honest. I don't really see a need for it in the UK and I do understand people's apprehension about seeing it but yeah, it doesn't really impact me in any way.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    My friend and I were saying the exact same thing today. Unfortunately the Arab Spring has opened a can of worms and we must take responsibility for that. One dreads to think what will happen in Afghanistan when we leave.

Yes, Afghanistan will be the worst of all, as it is full of Talibans waiting for the chance to take over the country yet again, and become a heaven for terrorists around the world, as it once was for Bin Laden. ISIS now already has access to millions of dollars and other resources, even if we decide to fight them, it will be very hard. We should have done that while they were still in Syria, by allowing Assad to wipe them out. Big mistake!