Options

Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Options
    Ste30yoSte30yo Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    For those of you who were watching the series 1 repeats on Dave a couple of months back, they're finally showing the final this Saturday at...midnight!!! ;)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed a Tweet from Victoria Coren Mitchell this morning

Victoria Coren M. ‏@VictoriaCoren 14h

There are dates for the new series of Only Connect! It starts Monday August 25th - on BBC Two. (Better put butter on the iPlayer's paws).
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is not shown listed on the 25th August on Digiguide?
  • Options
    SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Currently being looked into by the production company, apparently. Might be 1st September instead.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Last nights repeat of WWTBAM on Challenge was the episode with David Stainer. He'd never heard of a Silverback gorilla :o
    still, he pocketed a handy 64K.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Some good Friday night entertainment on Dave.

Only Connect on at 12am (so technically earlier saturday morning to get your mind going)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Watched an episode on Dave. It's weird to the the Greek letters there.
  • Options
    JG1970JG1970 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new series of Only Connect starts on Monday 1st September at 8.30pm on BBC2 :)
    (Source: Digiguide)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JG1970 wrote: »
    The new series of Only Connect starts on Monday 1st September at 8.30pm on BBC2 :)
    (Source: Digiguide)

And I saw a trailer for it last night, so I think it's definite this time. http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c4gr7w/only-connect--series-10---1-politicos-v-felinophiles
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new series already? They seem to come around quicker than sales at DFS.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    A new series already? They seem to come around quicker than sales at DFS.

Agree.

You can have too much of a good thing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Agree.

You can have too much of a good thing!

Well, obviously I'm unlikely to agree, but I see your point.

For the last two years there've been two series a year, starting in roughly April/May and August/September. But they were only 13 episodes long. As this one is 27 episodes, there'll presumably be a six month break afterwards.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »

For the last two years there've been two series a year, starting in roughly April/May and August/September. But they were only 13 episodes long. As this one is 27 episodes, there'll presumably be a six month break afterwards.

In the last couple of series they have struggled with the quality of some of the teams in a 13 episode run so I'm worried what they will be like with 27 episodes to fill, especially on BBC2. Let's hope it doesn't dumb down too much. I'd hate to see the best quiz on TV just become another cheap filler programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    In the last couple of series they have struggled with the quality of some of the teams in a 13 episode run so I'm worried what they will be like with 27 episodes to fill, especially on BBC2. Let's hope it doesn't dumb down too much. I'd hate to see the best quiz on TV just become another cheap filler programme.

As I've said before on this thread, my view (as a contestant on the new series) is that they certainly haven't dumbed down questions, and I naively like to think that we were decent quality. One thing that might affect the quality of teams is that people (and whole teams) who took part in series 1 and 2 were allowed to reapply for this one. Whether you think that's a good or a bad thing depends, I guess, on whether you like the teams!
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've said before on this thread, my view (as a contestant on the new series) is that they certainly haven't dumbed down questions, and I naively like to think that we were decent quality. One thing that might affect the quality of teams is that people (and whole teams) who took part in series 1 and 2 were allowed to reapply for this one. Whether you think that's a good or a bad thing depends, I guess, on whether you like the teams!
    Now why am I not surprised about that, after their recent outing on BBC2 was dominated by one face? I wonder why series 3 contestants weren't allowed back in? I suspect a certain team will dominate again. Pity to have to endure 27 weeks of the same old same old.
    >:(
  • Options
    angryquizfanangryquizfan Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    Now why am I not surprised about that, after their recent outing on BBC2 was dominated by one face? I wonder why series 3 contestants weren't allowed back in? I suspect a certain team will dominate again. Pity to have to endure 27 weeks of the same old same old.
    >:(

Members of teams that won either series couldn't return for this one according to someone I know who is making a comeback in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Members of teams that won either series couldn't return for this one according to someone I know who is making a comeback in it.
    Thank you for bringing joy unconfined back to my life. The birds have started singing again and all is right with the world. :D
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't wait to hear the explanation of how they decide which teams go through and which are knocked out! It was complicated enough before.

:-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to hear the explanation of how they decide which teams go through and which are knocked out! It was complicated enough before.

:-)
    It's very simple. 16 teams, so 8 matches in the first round give you 8 winners and 8 losers. The next round pairs off the 8 winners to give you 4 quarter finalists with 2 wins and 4 teams with 1 win and 1 loss, and then the 8 losers against each other which knocks out 4 teams and gives you another 4 teams with 1 win and 1 loss. Then finally you pair off the remaining 8 teams - all the ones with 1 win and 1 loss so far - to give you your other 4 quarter finalists and eliminate the losing 4.

I ask you, what could possibly be more straightforward than that? :D
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much, but the only way I won't be able to follow the explanation is if I get distracted by someone's cleavage yet again!!!:mad::D
    Is it any wonder I sometimes have trouble answering the questions...;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    Not much, but the only way I won't be able to follow the explanation is if I get distracted by someone's cleavage yet again!!!:mad::D
    Is it any wonder I sometimes have trouble answering the questions...;-)

I sometimes get distracted by the questions and can't concentrate on the cleavage.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    It's very simple. 16 teams, so 8 matches in the first round give you 8 winners and 8 losers. The next round pairs off the 8 winners to give you 4 quarter finalists with 2 wins and 4 teams with 1 win and 1 loss, and then the 8 losers against each other which knocks out 4 teams and gives you another 4 teams with 1 win and 1 loss. Then finally you pair off the remaining 8 teams - all the ones with 1 win and 1 loss so far - to give you your other 4 quarter finalists and eliminate the losing 4.

I ask you, what could possibly be more straightforward than that? :D

Let's see:

First round: 8 matches

Second round (winners): 4 matches - winners to quarters, losers to 3rd round
    Second round (losers): 4 matches - winners to 3rd round, losers go home

Third round (1 win + 1 loss): 4 matches - winners to quarters, losers go home

Quarters: 4 matches
    Semis: 2 matches
    Final: 1 match

I make that 27.......phew.

Had to draw up a pretty spreadsheet with colours to work that one out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Let's see:

First round: 8 matches

Second round (winners): 4 matches - winners to quarters, losers to 3rd round
    Second round (losers): 4 matches - winners to 3rd round, losers go home

Third round (1 win + 1 loss): 4 matches - winners to quarters, losers go home

Quarters: 4 matches
    Semis: 2 matches
    Final: 1 match

I make that 27.......phew.

Had to draw up a pretty spreadsheet with colours to work that one out.

16, 16, 8, 8

What's the connection?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16, 16, 8, 8

What's the connection?
    I'm stumped. :confused:
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    16, 16, 8, 8

What's the connection?

Number of teams in each of the first four rounds.