Options

Jenna Coleman to leave at Christmas

Comments

• Options
    Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Her gimmick has (probably) been fully utilized. On to the next gimmick, I mean companion.

Yeah I can't say I'm too into the companion having such a convoluted story or for it being the reason for them being the companion. The best companions of the series since its return (I’m thinking Donna) had a story but she was a person with as story not a character who was there only because of the story. It’s a bit like Turlough… I like him as a companion but after his kill the Doctor thing they didn’t really know what to do with him.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Oops, sorry posted something I meant for another thread.

As for Clara - two series, 25 episodes people.

That's more than Mickey, Jack, Martha, Donna or River. Just a tiny bit less than Rose, Amy and Rory too.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^True but given almost half of those have yet to air, I can understand why people initially feel it's overly soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True but will we feel that way when all of Series 8 airs though?

I will miss Clara but whoever is cast next, I'll be intrigued to see what they can bring to the series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    I hope she is, she's one of the weakest companions yet.

She's really good in Deep Breath. I think her character could be really popular after a few episodes of Series 8.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    She's really good in Deep Breath. I think her character could be really popular after a few episodes of Series 8.

Let's hope so because up until now she's been totally forgettable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nerdist has already compiled a top 5 list for the new Companion.

Should this be under a new thread, or no?

I think it's too bad Jenna couldn't stick it out for at least the full season. I think they're going to need some more time to properly bed Capaldi in as the Doctor before they can find the right next Companion that will suit him best.

Just for the difference though, and to help draw a line under the no romantic aspect to the Doctor/Companion relationship anymore, I think the next Companion should be male.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Danny will be Clara's boyfriend. Jenna's confirmed this in several recent interviews.

Yes, I'm aware. Doesn't mean he won't be the next companion after Jenna leaves. Him being her boyfriend may be the way he's introduced to us and how we get to know the character.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iclabon wrote: »
    I think it's too bad Jenna couldn't stick it out for at least the full season.

What do you mean by this? Clara is in every episode as far as I know.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She carries the episode emotionally and does most of the work. The praise directed towards her is well deserved.
    Iclabon wrote: »
    I think it's too bad Jenna couldn't stick it out for at least the full season.

She is. She's in it up to and including Christmas at least.
    Just for the difference though, and to help draw a line under the no romantic aspect to the Doctor/Companion relationship anymore, I think the next Companion should be male.

Absolutely not. There should always be a balance whereby there is a male and female main character. The only time there should be a sole male companion is if we have a female Doctor. Not to mention that the DW companion is one of the precious few female action/adventure roles (particularly on British tv!).
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised how much I liked Catherine Tate's Donna, and in the end I liked her for the very reason I'd expected to dislike her - her complete dearth of Lara Croftiness and her lack of respect for the Doctor. We ended up with two talented comedy actors playing off each other with panache.

So for the next companion, I'd like an older, more panicky person. Did someone mention Rebecca Front?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that Matt's OTT characterisation of the Doctor is out of the way, it gives Jenna more room to shine. From what I have seen, Clara is placed at the centre of the show.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    So for the next companion, I'd like an older, more panicky person. Did someone mention Rebecca Front?

I did a bit flippantly, so we could have a sweary Malcolm Tucker reunion. Although someone like her wouldn't be bad.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,076
    Forum Member
    Now that Matt's OTT characterisation of the Doctor is out of the way, it gives Jenna more room to shine. From what I have seen, Clara is placed at the centre of the show.

For me, its more important that the 'Impossible Girl' story arc is over. I have very strong need for the companion to be a relatively ordinary person thrown into the Doctor's mad world. I know not everyone liked the 'kitchen sink' life of Rose, Martha and Donna but for me that made them real people. It was like one of us ordinary folk really was aboard the TARDIS.

Because the moment a companion brings their own madness with them I kind of switch off emotionally. Amy's life was pretty insane from day one and as a result I never really cared for her. We had a very eccentric incarnation of the Doctor matched with a companion who brought ten tonnes of her own weirdness along for the ride, and a gazillion other bonkers storylines exploding all over the place too. There was no realness at all.

And I'm still in the same place with Clara. That's why I hope season 8 will flesh her out as a real person rather than a storyline. I don't want any more leaf montages or Clara just being brave because the story line requires her to be brave. I want a real person. Because if she does leave at Christmas I really want to be sad to see her go. Because I wasn't sad when Amy and Rory left, and that was a great shame.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    Alternatively if we can't have a real person as the next companion can we just have handles, because he was kinda cool :)
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

Absolutely not. There should always be a balance whereby there is a male and female main character. The only time there should be a sole male companion is if we have a female Doctor. Not to mention that the DW companion is one of the precious few female action/adventure roles (particularly on British tv!).

The Doctor has had up to 3 or 4 companions at a time. Why couldn't he have more than one now. Especially since this Doctor is older, we could have a young female and a young male. The companions can do the action parts like Barbara and Ian did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    The Doctor has had up to 3 or 4 companions at a time. Why couldn't he have more than one now. Especially since this Doctor is older, we could have a young female and a young male. The companions can do the action parts like Barbara and Ian did.

More than one is absolutely fine, just not two males, not when there are so few roles like this for females as it is.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    I think the next companion should be male - or of an alien species that is possibly gender-free? Or an andriod, like Data..

I am sick and tired with the stupid romance storylines between the Doctor and his companion and agree with Capaldi that the flirting needed to stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I am sick and tired with the stupid romance storylines between the Doctor and his companion and agree with Capaldi that the flirting needed to stop.

Capaldi only said the flirting needed to stop with him and Clara because of the age gap, not that it needed to stop full stop ;)

But no, it should never be two male leads for this show only. There should always be a good gender balance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    There is tremendous scope for Clara to return in future episodes, as other versions of herself. If I recall correctly, the Doctor's timeline into which Clara jumped in The Name of the Doctor also covered his future. Therefore there will be versions of Clara in the Doctor's future.

Jenna is an extremely able and versatile actress, and she instantly became my all time favourite. Her performance in Asylum of the Daleks as Oswin was superb, what a shame we only had the fiesty and witty Oswin for one episode ! She gave a very moving performance as Victorian Clara in The Snowmen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I think the next companion should be male - or of an alien species that is possibly gender-free? Or an andriod, like Data..

What romances? Aside from Rose and River, there hasn't been any Doctor/Companion romances in the series.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is tremendous scope for Clara to return in future episodes, as other versions of herself. If I recall correctly, the Doctor's timeline into which Clara jumped in The Name of the Doctor also covered his future. Therefore there will be versions of Clara in the Doctor's future.

Clara said she only saw 11 faces of the Doctor when she was in his time stream (and later caught sight of War Doc before they left) which suggests she only saw the Doctor's past.

The GI's plan was to destroy the Doctor/foil his plans in the past so there would have been no point in Him going to a point in time that would be the future for Matt Smiths Doctor. The Clara echos would have gone to the same places the GI did so they to would not go to the Future.

Plus of course there's the question of if the Timeline was rewritten or not in Time of the Doctor.

If in the original timeline (until he got his new set of regenerations) the Doctor's future mainly consisted of 900 years of sitting around on Trenzalore then that would have been how far a Clara echo could have gone into the Future anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's important that the companion represent minorities, personally.

The Doctor always has plenty of female characters that recur all of the time, for the companion role to always have to be female. There was Tasha Lem, and River Song, Vashta and Jenny, just to name a few.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,076
    Forum Member
    Peter Capaldi on The One Show this evening and was asked directly if Jenna was leaving and didn't give an answer.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather amusing slip-up by Alex Jones.