Options

Have you done the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Most on my Facebook have hijacked it to be about breast cancer or just for a laugh. I honestly feel like brain cells must just drool out of their ears on a nightly basis.

:D Know what you mean. I think it's unfair that it's become about cancer. It was to raise awareness about another disease. Unfortunately, I think many have missed the point now.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I haven't but my neighbours are doing it tonight but they do a lot for charity anyway so they always get into these things in a big way. They even have a ladder. She rejected the suggestion of doing it wearing a bikini. She is stunning. She could raise double if she did. Cow. :D

I'm usually out of the loop with these things as I'm not on Facebook or twitter or any of those sociable things but it's just a bit of craic and if it raises any money or awareness for a good cause good on them.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I take it that the people who are complaining about it have donated themselves?

This is that pack mentality attitude I was talking about...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    It's much the same as the ''makeup free selfie'' craze which was basically an excuse for narcissistic idiots to get attention for themselves. How many of these ice bucket videos or posts even mention anything about ALS? I haven't seen a single one on my news feed which mentions anything to do with it, or even gives a link so people can donate. I'm glad the charity has made some much needed money, but I think it's a shame that we live in a society where most people only give money to a worthwhile cause if it gets them attention and if it's part of a craze where they can basically scream ''LOOK AT ME DOING SOMETHING FOR CHARITY!'' It's completely self indulgent and irritating, and I can't stand people saying ''Oh no, I've been nominated to tip water over my head! This is the worst thing which has ever happened to me! But I shall be brave and do it anyway, because I'm an amazing person!''

Oh my goodness, will you marry me? You've put everything about these memes that I hate into words so much more eloquently than me. This is easily the best argument against these memes I have read so far.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,794
    Forum Member
    All of the famous people I have seen doing this challenge have neglected to say what it is actually for. Mostly seem to be seeking out a bit of attention for themselves.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Just like I didn't do the no makeup selfie and all the other trends.

If I want to donate. I will do so without needing to shout about it and act like I'm doing something amazing.

Most of the people I know who have done the challenge haven't made a donation. So what was the point? The same way nobody I know who did the no make up selfie donated. So why bother?
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Wuthering wrote: »

Of course it is
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charity raises money, DSers throw a strop and redefine pettiness. All I can do is laugh.
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did it. I, along with my sisters, were nominated by my mother. We lost a good family friend to the disease many years ago so I was happy to participate.

I nominated two of my aunts and my grandmother.

It's all a bit of fun and raises money for a good cause. Plus it's super hot in the summer so it actually doesn't feel too bad!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Of course it is

Why sneer at people who have an opinion about it that you don't like then?
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    All of the famous people I have seen doing this challenge have neglected to say what it is actually for. Mostly seem to be seeking out a bit of attention for themselves.

I have watched quite a few actors, actresses & sportsmen doing it & they have all mentioned the cause.

I don't see why people have a problem with this Challenge - its original intention was to raise a load of money & awareness for ALS & it has succeeded massively on both points :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Memes like this seem to be mainly about people backpatting each other and getting to show off how what a wonderful person they are in a very big way. The cause seems secondary a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Charity raises money, DSers throw a strop and redefine pettiness. All I can do is laugh.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the money raised is a good thing.

Surely people can not be fans of stuff and say so without getting attitude for it? I don't see how it's wrong to point out there are often ulterior motives or flaws in some people's way of doing things either.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but my sister would be a perfect candidate to try it on, as pay back for ruining my recent holiday! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see how Kitty was "sneering". The whole daft campaign lost it's way ages ago. It was quite fun in the beginning, it's now just silly. And cancer charities should be ashamed they took over a campaign for a completely different disease.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I don't see how Kitty was "sneering".

They seem to think they are above those of us who are doing anything but cheerleading for the ice bucket challenge, but maybe I'm misreading their posts. :confused:

I do agree with your comment about the cancer charities though. I think it's appalling how Macmillian shamelessly hijacked something intended for another charity. Macmillian and cancer charities in general have so many of their own very high profile and successful fund raising events. Of all the illnesses out there, I would bet my entire life savings that most of us know more about various forms of cancer than what we know about the majority of other illneses as it gets so much media coverage. For Macmillian to barge in and take the attention away from an illness many hadn't even heard of until the ice bucket challenge is disgusting and has made me go right off them.
  • Options
    LittleByLittleLittleByLittle Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »

Sod that unless its actually going towards cureing people with the condition it's waste of time otherwise.

I shall be keeping my money where it belongs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sod that unless its actually going towards cureing people with the condition it's waste of time otherwise.

I shall be keeping my money where it belongs.

I was under the impression that donations in the UK go to The Motor Neurone Disease Association: "Our vision is a world free from MND. The MND Association funds and promotes research that leads us to new understanding and treatments, and brings us closer to a cure for MND".

Is that wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem to think they are above those of us who are doing anything but cheerleading for the ice bucket challenge, but maybe I'm misreading their posts. :confused:

I do agree with your comment about the cancer charities though. I think it's appalling how Macmillian shamelessly hijacked something intended for another charity. Macmillian and cancer charities in general have so many of their own very high profile and successful fund raising events. Of all the illnesses out there, I would bet my entire life savings that most of us know more about various forms of cancer than what we know about the majority of other illneses as it gets so much media coverage. For Macmillian to barge in and take the attention away from an illness many hadn't even heard of until the ice bucket challenge is disgusting and has made me go right off them.

Absolutely. It's disgraceful, and also a bit scary seeing all these videos of "omg that's cold aren't I such a good person cuz I did it for ermmm..charteeee!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the money raised is a good thing.

Surely people can not be fans of stuff and say so without getting attitude for it? I don't see how it's wrong to point out there are often ulterior motives or flaws in some people's way of doing things either.

I would have thought people could do something good for charity without other people pissing and moaning about it. But obviously when you put yourself out there, whether it be on youtube or DS, you're bound to get detractors.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not true. I've seen a number of celeb videos where they explain it.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member

I am not sure where I was sneering at anything but hey ho.

I don't understand how people who haven't donated anything can be rude and condescending about people who have. Regardless of how they do it, challenge and donating or donating they are still doing something for a worthy cause, if you're not dong anything at all you can't exactly take the moral high ground.

* I mean you generally.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member

Everyone must donate because people on facebook are. They werent interested 6 months ago but now that "everyone" is, anyone who hasnt dumped a bucket of ice water over themselves or donated to the charity are scummy.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Ah, but it hasn't raised awareness for many of the people I've seen doing it as they've all done it for cancer charities! Some of them didn't even know what I was talking about when I mentioned the challenges original intention.
    Totally agree. It started of as a good idea but people are jumping on the bandwagon just for seeking attention. If people are doing the challenge, they need to donate.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memes like this seem to be mainly about people backpatting each other and getting to show off how what a wonderful person they are in a very big way. The cause seems secondary a lot of the time.

That was the point, wasn't it. They get to show off and alsa gets money.