Options

Ed Miliband's aide accused of 'Northerners are backward' comment

deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mail wrote:

Miliband aide in 'Northerners are backward' storm over replacing elderly male MPs with young women

*Labour is split over plans to introduce 'all women shortlists' for the election
*Anna Yearley believes northern activists are blocking women's progress
*Austin Mitchell said Yearley spoke to him like he was a 'subnormal pensioner'

A senior aide to Ed Miliband called Northerners ‘backward’ over choosing women MPs in a blazing row with a Labour veteran, it was claimed last night.

Anna Yearley, the Labour leader’s political secretary and ‘fixer’, is said to have made the remark in an argument over moves to replace Northern male Labour MPs with younger, female ones.

Austin Mitchell, 79, who is retiring as Labour MP for Great Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, at the next Election, said Ms Yearley told him Labour activists in the North had blocked moves to promote more female MPs – and she was determined to make them toe the line.

The allegation is especially embarrassing for Mr Miliband, whose Doncaster North constituency is in South Yorkshire. Mr Mitchell said Ms Yearley, from Oxfordshire, talked to him like ‘an educationally subnormal pensioner’.

And, he claimed, leading female Labour MPs ran ‘an orchestrated campaign of abuse’ against him after he attacked the party’s all-women shortlists, designed to produce more female MPs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2732865/Miliband-aide-Northerners-backward-storm-replacing-elderly-male-MPs-young-women.html#ixzz3BGW3ifFB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm more inclined to believe Austin Mitchell to be honest. People like him must be very inconvenient for the new management.

What happened to the Labour party? It used to be blue collar workers going in to politics to help the poor and downtrodden. Now they just seem to be professional career politicians.

When a safe seat becomes available, Labour high command parachutes some politically correct choice in, someone who has never had a real job and comes from the other side of the country. It happens in London all the time.

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitchell does seem to be of very low intelligence. I've noticed over the years he's as thick as pig poo.
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a very nice comment about Austin Mitchell, who represents the last of the "proper" Labour Party.

What more proof do you need that the Labour Party is becoming ever more distant from its ideological roots?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I'm more inclined to believe Austin Mitchell to be honest. People like him must be very inconvenient for the new management.

What happened to the Labour party? It used to be blue collar workers going in to politics to help the poor and downtrodden. Now they just seem to be professional career politicians.

When a safe seat becomes available, Labour high command parachutes some politically correct choice in, someone who has never had a real job and comes from the other side of the country. It happens in London all the time.

I don't see the relevance of all this blue coller stuff to Mitchell,a celebraty turned politician is worse than a career politician IMHO.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    Not a very nice comment about Austin Mitchell, who represents the last of the "proper" Labour Party.

What more proof do you need that the Labour Party is becoming ever more distant from its ideological roots?

The Labour party is now the party of the metropolitan Guardian-reading Islingtonites. In the recent National Executive elections there wasn't a single person from outside of the South East elected.
  • Options
    Buster1874Buster1874 Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It most certainly is not the party of the northern, working class man!
  • Options
    MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another day nearer to Austin Mitchell's retirement - yippee. He's certainly doing himself no favours at the moment. The only people he seems popular with are giddy Tories on discussion boards (generally speaking, of course). As for him being "proper" Labour, what should other Labour mps do to emulate him? :
    Make crass comments about the role of female mps?
    Make them for Rothemere's paper?
    Co-present a programme on Sky for Murdoch?
    A true Labour legend - he'll be missed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moxey wrote: »
    Co-present a programme on Sky for Murdoch?
    A true Labour legend - he'll be missed!

That are plenty of Labour loyalists on Sky. I remember Tony Benn having an interesting discussion programme with William Hague. Kevin Maguire pops up virtually every day. If only Conservatives and Blairites appeared on Sky you'd be complaining of bias.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Labour Party is treating the North of England like a mug. It doesnt deserve the support it gets at present , but soon people will realise this in ever greater numbers and vote UKIP.
  • Options
    The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Milliband is just another posh leftie who thinks that his public school upbringing gives him the right to look down on ordinary people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    The Labour Party is treating the North of England like a mug. It doesnt deserve the support it gets at present , but soon people will realise this in ever greater numbers and vote UKIP.

I grew up in the North East but I have never understood why the region keeps supporting Labour. The party has never done anything for the area and just treats them as reliable voting fodder.

At the national level, the party sends up bright young things with their Oxford PPE degrees to "represent" them and then are never seen in the constituency until the next election. Locally, you have town and cities which are virtual one-party states where nothing ever changes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    What jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder politicians are bland as bland and afraid to say anything when the smallest word gets jumped upon and made out to try and be something it isn't.

All in all, more desperate campaign stuff aiming at the defaming of Miliband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Milliband is just another posh leftie who thinks that his public school upbringing gives him the right to look down on ordinary people.

He went to a comprehensive school. Speaking in general, a little research would stop people making fools of themselves
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    It most certainly is not the party of the northern, working class man!

Definitely not. I think they will lose a lot of votes to UKIP up north next year.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.

We'll see. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    Definitely not. I think they will lose a lot of votes to UKIP up north next year.

I suppose people up north will be thinking, 'what we need is a public school Kent broker with a self-proclaimed rubbish manifesto'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He went to a comprehensive school. Speaking in general, a little research would stop people making fools of themselves

Yes, he did go to a comprehensive, but not any old one. It was the "Eton for Lefties" and the classrooms were full of the offspring from north London's Guardianistas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211962/Hardly-bog-standard--Ed-Milibands-days-Eton-lefties.html

Another little known fact is that he went to the same primary school (as well as the same University) as Boris Johnson.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/8026175/Has-Ed-Miliband-forgotten-the-lessons-we-learnt-together-at-primary-school.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, he did go to a comprehensive, but not any old one. It was the "Eton for Lefties" and the classrooms were full of the offspring from north London's Guardianistas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211962/Hardly-bog-standard--Ed-Milibands-days-Eton-lefties.html

Another little known fact is that he went to the same primary school (as well as the same University) as Boris Johnson.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/8026175/Has-Ed-Miliband-forgotten-the-lessons-we-learnt-together-at-primary-school.html

So to sum up, Ed Miliband, unlike Cameron,Clegg or Farage, went to a comprehensive school.Therefore the assertion by a previous poster that he went to a public school is a blatant ........inaccuracy.Par for the course around here, I suppose, when the right-wing throngs refer to Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So to sum up, Ed Miliband, unlike Cameron,Clegg or Farage, went to a comprehensive school.Therefore the assertion by a previous poster that he went to a public school is a blatant ........inaccuracy.Par for the course around here, I suppose, when the right-wing throngs refer to Ed Miliband.

I'm all for accuracy and you will note that my post contained nothing that wasn't true. What fictions other people come on these pages up with is their business and for them to defend.

Besides, what does it matter which school a potential PM went to when they were a child? They wouldn't have had any say in the matter and it would be ridiculous to say that someone would make a better PM just because they went to a free school in a wealthy part of London rather with the children of other rich, influential and powerful people rather than an expensive school in the Shires with the children of other rich, influential and powerful people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm all for accuracy and you will note that my post contained nothing that wasn't true. What fictions other people come on these pages up with is their business and for them to defend.

Besides, what does it matter which school a potential PM went to when they were a child? They wouldn't have had any say in the matter and it would be ridiculous to say that someone would make a better PM just because they went to a free school in a wealthy part of London rather with the children of other rich, influential and powerful people rather than an expensive school in the Shires with the children of other rich, influential and powerful people.

True, I never claimed otherwise. Of course the usual 'Guardian-reading islingtonites' nonsense of your earlier post is both lazy and ill-informed.
  • Options
    The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He went to Haverstock school also known as 'Eton for lefties'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to be having a problem with a simple fact. It. is. a. comprehensive.In your world, you may know it as the Taj Mahal or Old Trafford but it doesn't affect the reality. But anyway , best let you back to your next baseless anti-Miliband post.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Seems a bit rich to use 'Eton for lefties' as a derogatory term when half the Tory party went to the actual Eton.....

:o
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Seems a bit rich to use 'Eton for lefties' as a derogatory term when half the Tory party went to the actual Eton.....

:o

That's the Eaton for righties

Reminds me of that book Fattypuffs and Thinifers :D
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, I never claimed otherwise. Of course the usual 'Guardian-reading islingtonites' nonsense of your earlier post is both lazy and ill-informed.

The Guardian's editor and its political journalists (with the exception of Polly Toynbee) have been pro-Coalition, and rabidly anti-Miliband, since 2010.