Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Echti wrote: »
    I though the worldfeed was appaling today. And what is this with FOM using the heli camera over and over again?? I felt like every pass on Kemmel straight was covered from the heli angle. It was fanastic to see the Alonso on grass moment from the distance because the helicopter was flying behind the trees...>:(

I thought the world feed was OK today. Several positives - the cars at times looked quick, which hasn't been the case for lots of the season. There was a flick-flack camera in a kerb somewhere that gave a great shot, and there were some shots at the top of Eau Rouge as well that conveyed the speed well.

They didn't follow the leader for half of the last lap when there was a battle going on further down - they correctly cut to show him coming out of the last corner to cross the line and then back to the action. Was also the right call in my opinion to stick with the MAG/ALO/BUT/VET scrap rather than show the Chilton/Ericsson battle that was going on around them at the same time. The graphics for the most part seemed to be conveying the relevant information - the gap between Rosberg and Hamilton early on and then the lap-by-lap gaps between Rosberg and Riccardo at the end.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    That Tales of the vault program wasn't really all that interesting, It wasn't bad but it was pretty much just repeating the same stories we've heard before while not really adding anything new.

Didn't spot any never before seen material but maybe that will come in a later show.

Oh & with what Lewis has just come out & said the situation at Mercedes could be about to get even worse as he's suggesting that Nico has told the team he hit Lewis deliberately.

Sky certainly picked a good day to do that tales of the vault program on teammates :D
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Tales of the vault program wasn't really all that interesting, It wasn't bad but it was pretty much just repeating the same stories we've heard before while not really adding anything new.

Didn't spot any never before seen material but maybe that will come in a later show.

Is anyone rationally able to explain why Sky appear to keep Steve Rider in a cupboard until they have some sort of archive/historic F1 show for him to do? I find it a bit odd.
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    For the 1st half of the season, FOM had longer videos on the app (10-mins odd) but less of them, 10-ish for each weekend. Now FOM seem to be having shorter videos (2 to 5 mins - I presume cos it's easier for mobile devices on the move), but more of them, there's 20 so far for this race.
  • Options
    IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM scaled back the use of the CGI this weekend. After 2 races where the last corner had a bizarre wide angle capturing the 'Bernie says think before you drive' ad, this was thankfully gone.

Hopefully this is an editorial decision to be more subtle with their usage, the next few races will prove this out.

Direction was ok, nothing spectacular.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incast wrote: »
    FOM scaled back the use of the CGI this weekend. After 2 races where the last corner had a bizarre wide angle capturing the 'Bernie says think before you drive' ad, this was thankfully gone.

Hopefully this is an editorial decision to be more subtle with their usage, the next few races will prove this out.

To me, it became less noticable across the weekend. They may have been tweaking some settings to make it blend better - probably due to the wet track. It appears the trick is to increase the transparency to bring out more of the track texture.
  • Options
    racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Echti wrote: »
    I though the worldfeed was appaling today. And what is this with FOM using the heli camera over and over again?? I felt like every pass on Kemmel straight was covered from the heli angle. It was fanastic to see the Alonso on grass moment from the distance because the helicopter was flying behind the trees...>:(

Agreed, heli cam is fine a couple of times in a race but they overuse it. It's a lazy solution by the TV director, I guess it's easier to just show the heli cam instead of cutting from trackside camera to trackside camera.

We never got a good view of the incident that got Magnussen penalised. Yet we got a lot of replays of the start where nothing special happened. And we missed Ricciardo passing Vettel thanks to those replays. Not a good day for FOM, although that low flick flack angle at blanchimont was cool, they need more shots like this I've always been saying. Those are some of the only shots that give us a sense of how fast these cars go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    racefreak wrote: »
    Agreed, heli cam is fine a couple of times in a race but they overuse it. It's a lazy solution by the TV director, I guess it's easier to just show the heli cam instead of cutting from trackside camera to trackside camera.

We never got a good view of the incident that got Magnussen penalised. Yet we got a lot of replays of the start where nothing special happened. And we missed Ricciardo passing Vettel thanks to those replays. Not a good day for FOM, although that low flick flack angle at blanchimont was cool, they need more shots like this I've always been saying. Those are some of the only shots that give us a sense of how fast these cars go.
    I love the heli cam because you can see clearly the distance between the cars reducing/increasing as they drive the track. I *hate* close-up shots of the cars driving, as you can't tell where on the track they are, or judge distances between the cars easily.
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    racefreak wrote: »

I assume Magnussens penalty came from him pushing Fernando off the track on the Kemmel straight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what did everyone think of Tales From The Vault then? Pretty meh I thought. Nice discussion, but nothing special, neither was it the treasure-trove of unseen footage we'd been expecting. I saw plenty of clips that I'd seen before from various sources.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I gotta say, the idiot producer that told Lazenby (On Sky F1) to say sorry for Hamilton saying 'Arse' needs a slap!
    No need to say sorry for that in the slightest. I can understand it when you get Niki Lauda saying 'Bullsh*t' like he loves, but 'Arse', not in a million years!
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM didnt air Riccardos comments as he crossed the line, wonder if they were unbroadcastable. Anyone have a clip from the pits channel?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    For the 1st half of the season, FOM had longer videos on the app (10-mins odd) but less of them, 10-ish for each weekend. Now FOM seem to be having shorter videos (2 to 5 mins - I presume cos it's easier for mobile devices on the move), but more of them, there's 20 so far for this race.

They are putting up a few more each race.
    Enjoying Gary Anderson, he is doing a good and interesting job with all his videos.

For Belgium there was;
    Post race top 3 interviews
    Short clip of Ricciardo crossing the line - sky commentary
    Hamilton puncture - sky commentary
    Sunday morning interviews
    Morning race preview - Gary Anderson
    Qualy top 3 interviews
    Belgium Heli lap of track
    Sat morning interviews
    Max Verstappen new recruit
    Spa - a technical challenge - Gary Anderson
    Turn 10 analysis - Gary Anderson
    Fridy morning preview - Gary Anderson
    Belgium track walk part 2 - Gary and Seb
    Belgium Track walk part 1 - Gary and Seb
    Andre Lotterer joins Caterham
    Belgium circuit guide - Gary Anderson
    Spa through the years - this was poor

Maybe including Hungary review and Ready to Race, but they were put up during the break.

Nothing happened yet to improve the app or go further with FOM online ideas, as was mentioned by Bloomberg in early Summer?
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Nothing happened yet to improve the app or go further with FOM online ideas, as was mentioned by Bloomberg in early Summer?

I said at the time I thought they were just talking about this year's app which was rushed out just before the season started with lots of bugs.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    FOM didnt air Riccardos comments as he crossed the line, wonder if they were unbroadcastable. Anyone have a clip from the pits channel?

Probably because they were focusing on the battle for 4th By the time that was over, Riccardo was already getting out of his car. The radio is normally played on the cooldown lap (which doesn't happen at Spa).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just downloaded and replayed all the radio and commentary from the FOM app and nothing there as he crossed the line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are putting up a few more each race.
    Enjoying Gary Anderson, he is doing a good and interesting job with all his videos.

For Belgium there was;
    Post race top 3 interviews
    Short clip of Ricciardo crossing the line - sky commentary
    Hamilton puncture - sky commentary
    Sunday morning interviews
    Morning race preview - Gary Anderson
    Qualy top 3 interviews
    Belgium Heli lap of track
    Sat morning interviews
    Max Verstappen new recruit
    Spa - a technical challenge - Gary Anderson
    Turn 10 analysis - Gary Anderson
    Fridy morning preview - Gary Anderson
    Belgium track walk part 2 - Gary and Seb
    Belgium Track walk part 1 - Gary and Seb
    Andre Lotterer joins Caterham
    Belgium circuit guide - Gary Anderson
    Spa through the years - this was poor

Maybe including Hungary review and Ready to Race, but they were put up during the break.

You missed the Final Post race interviews of the non-podium drivers. Plus the Hungary review & Ready To Race vids were put up after the Andre Lotterer vid & the CIrcuit Guide, respectively, so personally I wouldn't count them as in the break.

I still think bloomberg got it's wires crossed, and the 'new' app they were referring too was the already existing 2014 F1 App.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »
    Probably because they were focusing on the battle for 4th By the time that was over, Riccardo was already getting out of his car. The radio is normally played on the cooldown lap (which doesn't happen at Spa).
    Just downloaded and replayed all the radio and commentary from the FOM app and nothing there as he crossed the line.

There is a clip of Ricciardo after he crossed the line, one of the last team radio clips for that race. It's a longer version of the clip played at the end of the "Ricciardo Wins" app video. No more comments from Daniel, just more from the team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You missed the Final Post race interviews of the non-podium drivers. Plus the Hungary review & Ready To Race vids were put up after the Andre Lotterer vid & the CIrcuit Guide, respectively, so personally I wouldn't count them as in the break.

I still think bloomberg got it's wires crossed, and the 'new' app they were referring too was the already existing 2014 F1 App.

I did, normally flick that one up haha and then choose video from menu.

Yes, you and _SpeedRacer_ may be right on the app.
    Do hope Bernie, now he is back and fully running gives us some more.
    He will need the extra cash from the fans, as a little lighter in pocket now :D
    There is a clip of Ricciardo after he crossed the line, one of the last team radio clips for that race. It's a longer version of the clip played at the end of the "Ricciardo Wins" app video. No more comments from Daniel, just more from the team.
    Where is this, link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did, normally flick that one up haha and then choose video from menu.

Yes, you and _SpeedRacer_ may be right on the app.
    Do hope Bernie, now he is back and fully running gives us some more.
    He will need the extra cash from the fans, as a little lighter in pocket now :D

Where is this, link?

around 1:28:00 on the commentary part of the App for the race.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports News HQ gone mental on the Hamilton and Rosberg saga.
    Brundle on phone, Herbert live from Stratford upon Avon chatting about it at length.
    Ted Kravitz special coming up later.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Is anyone rationally able to explain why Sky appear to keep Steve Rider in a cupboard until they have some sort of archive/historic F1 show for him to do? I find it a bit odd.

Are you saying it's odd that they don't use him more on their other coverage, or that they don't use one of their existing presenters for the archive stuff? I presume Steve is working for Sky freelance, as he also does the Touring Cars on ITV.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member

From the pits channel:
    Christian Horner - "Atta boy, Fantastic, Unbelievable drive, Unbelievable"
    Simon Rennie - "Straght in the pit lane please, Fail 5 fail Fail 5 fail, Straight in the pit lane. Really awesome drive mate."
    Christian Horner - "How did you do that"
    Simon Rennie - "Absolutely amazing, We'll see you in a second"
    Daniel Ricciardo - "Woooo, ahhhh come on. Thanks guys, That was fun to drive"
    Sky Sports News HQ gone mental on the Hamilton and Rosberg saga.
    Brundle on phone, Herbert live from Stratford upon Avon chatting about it at length.
    Ted Kravitz special coming up later.
    They had some coverage on Sky News yesterday suggesting that the FIA should take action against Rosberg & that he should be given a 1 race ban.

Regardless of who was at fault (Rosberg in my view), It was still a racing incident & doesn't really justify the 'outrage' its getting.
    Nico made a mistake, He felt he saw a gap, An opportunity to get the lead & went for it. Yes it didn't pay off & ruined both there races (Lewis' more obviously) but it was still just a racing incident in my view.

Lewis himself has been guilty of that sort of misjudgement a dozen times over his F1 career (Singapore 2011 on Massa for instance) & I get this is different (Teammates, Championship fight) but still don't get why there are those who believe Nico deserves to be demonized or whatever for it.

I also don't think Lewis coming out & saying Nico said he hit him deliberately has helped, Especially since other who were in the meeting have said thats not actually what Nico said or meant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was a racing incident. Rosberg wanted to "prove a point" as he says by deliberately letting Hamilton know he was there, not by hitting him. It was still a silly move, as the risk of them colliding came true. Personally I believe any action should come from the team themselves, but not by the FIA.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the pits channel:
    Christian Horner - "Atta boy, Fantastic, Unbelievable drive, Unbelievable"
    Simon Rennie - "Straght in the pit lane please, Fail 5 fail Fail 5 fail, Straight in the pit lane. Really awesome drive mate."
    Christian Horner - "How did you do that"
    Simon Rennie - "Absolutely amazing, We'll see you in a second"
    Daniel Ricciardo - "Woooo, ahhhh come on. Thanks guys, That was fun to drive"

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.