Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orri wrote: »
    Given the scandal over some botched plastic surgery experience would tend to support the idea that private healthcare will concentrate on the easy it the most profitable with whatever remains of the NHS being left to pick up the pieces when things go wrong and the least profitable stuff. In addition the existing arrangements that allow individuals to top up funding from the NHS budget to go private will be extended.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with that. If the private sector can provide extra capacity to reduce waiting times for routine operations then that has to be a good thing - and is something that even the last Labour government recognised. If you are waiting for a knee replacement (as my dad was recently) then you really don't care which hospital you go to as long as it is done as soon as possible, you get good quality care and that you never see a bill.

If some people want to "upgrade" their NHS service to go private then that also reduces waiting times for others and gets people back to work quicker. Many companies offer private medical insurance for their staff as a perk as having people off work for a long period waiting for an operation is bad for their business. How many people would refuse treatment in a private hospital if they were offered it?
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a monumental waste of time, energy and money. The result is already known and it's 'No'.
    The government and the rest of the world should just let Salmond and the rest of the Scotland say whatever they want, it won't influence the majority and they've no hope in hell of winning this.
    We should just stay out of this and focus our energy on things that do matter.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Bluescope wrote: »
    He said the UK would accept the union because the economy is so close.
    But how close will our economies be once the independent Scottish Government starts its "anti-austerity borrow and spend" programme? As the Eurozone has demonstrated, a monetary union cannot cope with divergent economies without fiscal transfers. This has been the position of the UK Government all along: that any currency union would by necessity impose such a straitjacket on "independent" Scottish fiscal policy as to be neither acceptable or sustainable.

It's bad enough when nationalists on the internet copy and paste articles that are mutually exclusive and present them as if both can happen at the same time but for the campaign's advisors to being to doing the same just demonstrates how utterly unprepared they're for the referendum, let alone the task of building a new nation.

It is the paradox of the independence campaign: they say nothing will change and yet want to change everything!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,609
    Forum Member
    What a monumental waste of time, energy and money. The result is already known and it's 'No'.

It will probably be No, but the result can't be known until after the referendum. Of course it's worth spending time and energy on the arguments for and against.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come May 2015 Westminster will have a mandate to reject a currency union. What of the three Plan B's will then implemented?

Bear in mind there will then by only 9 months to do it.
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Come May 2015 Westminster will have a mandate to reject a currency union. What of the three Plan B's will then implemented?

Bear in mind there will then by only 9 months to do it.

Only Labour have said that that they will make it a manifesto pledge
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »

Labour have made a monumental cock up of this referendum. They could have easily campaigned for a No without endorsing the Tory party they could have been a lot more constructive with the campaign, but instead they lied and scarmongered their way through hand in hand with the Tory party.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

the other two parties haven't said they wont but have categorically stated it wont happen

are you really hanging your hat on them not doing so considering the manifestos for the GE are nowhere near being published
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Orri wrote: »
    Given the scandal over some botched plastic surgery experience would tend to support the idea that private healthcare will concentrate on the easy it the most profitable with whatever remains of the NHS being left to pick up the pieces when things go wrong and the least profitable stuff. In addition the existing arrangements that allow individuals to top up funding from the NHS budget to go private will be extended.

My wife is an Operating Theatre Sister in a private hospital and today is running a list from 0800 until 2000 tonight. Every case she does will be an NHS patient that the 'elf' cannot do. Tomorrow she will be doing the same for an NHS Ophthalmic list. The hospital will do approximately 80-100 NHS cases per week, opening on Sundays to accommodate them. This arrangement has been going on for years, but accelerated greatly under Blair, who saw his dream of a utopian NHS failing badly.

I was talking to an NHS auditor recently who informed me that the Service in now made up of approximately 700 private businesses,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    the other two parties haven't said they wont but have categorically stated it wont happen

are you really hanging your hat on them not doing so considering the manifestos for the GE are nowhere near being published

I do not believe their promises. Remember 1979?
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why not.

Another important point 2 former airbases in Moray are in the process of become army bases to accommodate the troops returning from Germany. Will they move down south and if so where to or will they remain as UK bases in Scotland?

There's not two airbases in moray. There's an army base at Kinloss barracks and an Air Force base at Lossiemouth.

Both will leave pretty soon after 2016 Independence Day I imagine. I imagine the folks relying on these bases in Morayshire will just have to muddle through with no work for a few years until they can find something else. Can't make an omelette etc.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they haven't won a contract to build supply vessels for the Royal Navy?

The Royal Navy doesn't operate supply vessels. It's a fighting Service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do not believe their promises. Remember 1979?

but you quite happily believe all the promises of a different set of politicians just because they are saying what you want to hear tho ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but you quite happily believe all the promises of a different set of politicians just because they are saying what you want to hear tho ?

They did lie before. Westminster has pevious for lying to the Scots
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They did lie before. Westminster has pevious for lying to the Scots

I didn't say they didn't lie

I said you are happy to accuse one group of politicians of lying whilst happily believing every word another group of politicians tell you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't say they didn't lie

I said you are happy to accuse one group of politicians of lying whilst happily believing every word another group of politicians tell you

No I said that Westminster has lied before to stifle the independence/devolution movement in Scotland. That is why I do not trust them
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I said that Westminster has lied before to stifle the independence/devolution movement in Scotland. That is why I do not trust them

All politicians lie to get you to vote for them. As someone who called yourself a Labour supporter you should know that. Do you honestly believe everything that Salmond says?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    All politicians lie to get you to vote for them. As someone who called yourself a Labour supporter you should know that. Do you honestly believe everything that Salmond says?

Why do you think I believe eveything Salmond says, where did I say that?.
    I said westminster has lied to the Scottish people to stifle the independence/ devolution debate.
  • Options
    Scott ChegScott Cheg Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    This shouting match has excluded the rUK despite the obvious impact on usThe truth : Scotland has a good deal inside the Union with free benefits such as prescriptions and university tuition, higher expenditure per head and the strength of the UK when things go wrong ( RBS )Only the separatist fanatics will vote Yes but the vicious gangster tone full of threats and violence and aggression will not fade. Wee Eck has unleashed a tide of hatred. The English are horrible and Scotland will be a rich country with great prospects without the English weighing us down.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think I believe eveything Salmond says, where did I say that?.
    I said westminster has lied to the Scottish people to stifle the independence/ devolution debate.

So then do you think Salmond has lied to promote the Yes cause?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott Cheg wrote: »
    This shouting match has excluded the rUK despite the obvious impact on usThe truth : Scotland has a good deal inside the Union with free benefits such as prescriptions and university tuition, higher expenditure per head and the strength of the UK when things go wrong ( RBS )Only the separatist fanatics will vote Yes but the vicious gangster tone full of threats and violence and aggression will not fade. Wee Eck has unleashed a tide of hatred. The English are horrible and Scotland will be a rich country with great prospects without the English weighing us down.

This is something quite forgotten at times, the question of why aren't we better together now?

We are. Scotland has huge advantages over the rest of the UK with a devolved parliament and Westminster.

What other area of the UK is so pampered, including London?
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is something quite forgotten at times, the question of why aren't we better together now?

We are. Scotland has huge advantages over the rest of the UK with a devolved parliament and Westminster.

So why does Scotland have some of the most deprived constituencies in the whole of the UK eg East Glasgow?
  • Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wales and NI both have devolution. Are they also 'pampered'?
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    When Salmond talks about Scotland not getting the government they elected in 2010 etc.
    They could say the same about the South of England electing mostly Conservative MPs in 1997,2001 and 2005 when Labour won and the North East mostly electing labour MPs in 2010 when Conservatives won.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Salmond talks about Scotland not getting the government they elected in 2010 etc.
    They could say the same about the South of England electing mostly Conservative MPs in 1997,2001 and 2005 when Labour won and the North East mostly electing labour MPs in 2010 when Conservatives won.

The distinction is because Scotland is a country, not a region of England.