Doctor Who: Deep Breath. BBC1. 23/08/2014 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »

How *dare* you try to bring things back on topic! And in a positive way! :p

Great stuff. And having now watched the expletive deleted out of it, I'd just like to highlight the Doctor and Clara's two-hander in the 'restaurant'. Brilliantly played and written, funny and, eventually, very creepy with that clockwork waiter.

I also think subsequent viewings have just confirmed for me that it is Jenna's best performance to date. The scene where she is holding her breath and trying to 'act clockwork' until she collapses; the movement, the expressions; spot on. Very impressed. And excited about episodes to come.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great stuff. And having now watched the expletive deleted out of it, I'd just like to highlight the Doctor and Clara's two-hander in the 'restaurant'. Brilliantly played and written, funny and, eventually, very creepy with that clockwork waiter.

I also think subsequent viewings have just confirmed for me that it is Jenna's best performance to date. The scene where she is holding her breath and trying to 'act clockwork' until she collapses; the movement, the expressions; spot on. Very impressed. And excited about episodes to come.

That restaurant scene was fantastic. Beautifully written, played and directed.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Okay then. So what exactly was left wing about this week's Doctor Who? Please, enlighten us - I'm genuinely interested. What do you believe was specifically left wing about the script? And please don't bring up the "Margaret Roberts" line. Like I said earlier, I'm a gay Tory, and I also have a sense of humour. That was a funny line, not a political speech.

Most of the thread has been about it, the THIS IS A LESBIAN COUPLE EVERYONE, and THEY'RE MARRIED, did you get that? THEY'RE MARRIED part, PC rather than left-wing but that was also a left-wing cause.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I don't see why having gay characters automatically means that the BBC has an agenda. It's like stand up comedy; every female comedian is always viewed as the 'token woman'.

Back to the show, I agree with the poster who said Coleman did a good job.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couldn't agree more, great episode, great scenes. I just read online, did you nitice that strax almost committed suicide because he couldn't hold his breath?
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    There's right wingers who support equality
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    That restaurant scene was fantastic. Beautifully written, played and directed.

Yes, lovely comic timing from both actors. I felt Gemma played much better off PC than she did off MS.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

I think the part where she's standing in the niche, holding her breath before leaving and passing out in the passageway, is one of the best scenes in the history of the show. Coleman is terrific in it, it's brilliantly directed by Wheatley, especially the cuts from Clara to the 'half-made-man', and the score, which builds up in a crescendo with layer upon layer sustained sound, is absolutely thrilling.

There's not really been anything quite so prolonged and stylish in 'Who' for a long time. It reminded me a little of the part in the series 5 two-parter when the weeping angels in the forest start to move. Just beautifully realised on screen.

My favourite bit of the episode :)
  • Options
    cutty sarkcutty sark Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I think Capaldi will be a great Doctor but Saturday's introduction was all a bit Monty Python meets the phantom fan flinger of old London town.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cutty sark wrote: »
    I think Capaldi will be a great Doctor but Saturday's introduction was all a bit Monty Python meets the phantom fan flinger of old London town.

That's one of the problems now with using late Victorian London as a backdrop, it's like trying to watch serious King Arthur films after seeing the Python Holy Grail:)
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had the theater release here in the states Monday night and I took a friend of mine who has never seen a Doctor Who episode before in her life. She is 62, and I only gave her a general overview of the show before hand. She totally enjoyed it. She found it to be very entertaining, the characters to be engaging, she liked the Doctor and Clara. In fact, she wants to see more. I had to explain that on the prequel that those others were the previous Doctors, now I am going to have to show her a regeneration. That and all the fez's that were in the theater.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if that was any indication we`re in for a new Golden Age.

I can only imagine what Smith, Tennant (and I would say Eccleston but we all know the grumpy sod won`t bother watching it) will think now after having both John Hurt and Peter Capaldi deliver defining versions of the character.

Capaldi makes everyone else better simply by being there. You can tell they`ve all raised their game as a result, Coleman especially. The feature length of it played a part as well and makes me wish the Beeb would add an extra 15 minutes onto the standard eps to let the scenes have some space and allow for non-plot relevant but characterful dialogue such as what we had on Saturday.

Downside - Another abysmal arrangement of the iconic theme. The cloth-ears affliction of the production team seems to be the one thing an infusion of Capaldi can do nothing about.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me start this post, because sadly it seems that I must be so explicit to avoid being seen as homophobic for having the opinion that too much is made of Vastra and Jenny's relationship, by saying that I am entirely in favour of marriage and equal rights in general for homosexual couples just as much as heterosexual ones.

However, that doesn't stop me from thinking that there were too many references to Vastra and Jenny's marriage in Deep Breath. Nothing to do with their sexuality, but to do with the plot, the episode and the focus in general. And actually by hammering home the point so much I think Moffatt's writing made them stand out more, when really they're married like any other couple so their marriage doesn't need to be referenced time and time again as if it is some sort of strange thing.

Comparisons to The Girl Who Waited aren't really on point - that whole episode was about Amy and Rory's relationship - that was the plot. Therefore references to their marriage were necessary and highly relevant.

In Deep Breath the plot had nothing to do with Vastra and Jenny's relationship, so multiple references to their marriage did nothing for the plot, and to my mind almost made it come across as a running joke more than anything, which is not how it should be. Why not just maybe remind us that they're married once, then let their behaviour speak for itself, rather than loading the dialogue with references to their relationship that are as superfluous as Strax's medical examination of Clara. Treating them like everyone else means not constantly referencing their relationship, not making it stand out like Moffat is doing. Taking out the multiple references isn't treating them less favourably, it would be treating them normally, which I thought is what is desired...

You mean the writer wanted to push his heterosexual agenda so much, the plot of an entire episode revolved around it?

And still no-one bats an eyelid?

:p
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    You hardly have to be a conspiracy theorist looking for hidden meanings to notice that almost all of the BBC's dramatic output is left-wing and PC and has been for some time. Look at what they're showing this week.

The Village - Yep
    Eastenders - Yep
    New Tricks - Not seen it so give it the benefit of the doubt
    Holby City - Yep
    In the Club - Yep
    Dr Who - Yep
    Casualty - Yep

So that's 6 out of 7 and that's giving one show the benefit of the doubt.

What else do they have in common apart from being left-wing and PC?

It's that they're very poor programmes and not a patch on the drama being made in the USA, Denmark, France and even Italy and the reason is, being left-wing and PC is MORE important than actually making a quality TV programme, the people at the BBC are zealots who believe that getting their messages through to the public is more important than entertaining them.

Casualty this week was more about whether having sex in cupboards was a fulfilling life for a 40-year-old woman than anything else.

They might not be up to the standard of stuff made in other places, but God, they're infinitely more relaxing to watch. Ironically, I'd put Doctor Who outside this category as I have to concentrate on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the thread has been about it, the THIS IS A LESBIAN COUPLE EVERYONE, and THEY'RE MARRIED, did you get that? THEY'RE MARRIED part, PC rather than left-wing but that was also a left-wing cause.

Homosexuality is a left wing cause? :confused:

Who knew!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just one show amongst many, this is BBC1's entire weekly dramatic output.

So what were the specifically left wing themes in each this week then?
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the worst rated series opener?
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Homosexuality is a left wing cause? :confused:

Who knew!

It is, and a cause of the bien-pensant London Metropolitan liberal elite who make up most of the workforce at the BBC and who make and write this show. All three of our political leaders also belong in this category hence Cameron legalising gay marriage.

None of these people have any idea what that rest of Britain is like or that there are any views different to their own "correct" ones.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,074
    Forum Member
    It is, and a cause of the bien-pensant London Metropolitan liberal elite who make up most of the workforce at the BBC and who make and write this show. All three of our political leaders also belong in this category hence Cameron legalising gay marriage. None of these people have any idea what that rest of Britain is like or that there are any views different to their own "correct" ones.

Actually, every single independent opinion poll shows about three quarters of the UK population (75%) support Gay marriage. So in fact the BBC isn't being 'overly liberal' but just reflecting modern attitudes towards Gay people. Its just a shame there are some people on this forum so completely out of step with modern society.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this the worst rated series opener?

Depends what you're rating.

It's not the worst rated in terms of overnights, timeshift or AI.

In terms of DS polls or public opinion, I couldn't tell you. :p
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    i thought it was good, but i can't believe anyone could have seen it and voted excellent.

the banter between capaldi and colemen was really good, and reminded me a bit of moffatts work on coupling from earlier in his career. also the bit when coleman did her big speech and said the doctor has my back.

outside of that i thought it was pretty average and re-used similar ideas that have been done recently and much better (victorian london again, dinosaurs again, new doctor confused again, companion unsure of new doctor again, mystery sinister woman behind it all again). the matt smith bit annoyed me, much in the same way the capaldi eyes from the 50th annoyed me, it was just a manipulative way of getting a squeal out of the fanboys (though this was at least logical).

my general view of the series recently is that it is simply not very good sci-fi. good SF reflects society and usually makes a comment on the world as it is through the genre, DW is fast becoming a rollercoaster ride, fun but not something that gets you thinking.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Actually, every single independent opinion poll shows about three quarters of the UK population (75%) support Gay marriage. So in fact the BBC isn't being 'overly liberal' but just reflecting modern attitudes towards Gay people. Its just a shame there are some people on this forum so completely out of step with modern society.

who in this day and age can seriously have a problem with the representation of gay people in mainstream popular culture? we're all equal, end of. no legitimate religious or political idealism active today disagrees with this fundamental principle.
  • Options
    kxkkxk Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Rated it's socks off in Oz, over 148,000 got up to watch the live simulcast at 4.50am Sunday. More went to cinemas.
    And over a million watched it later online or TV.

Our ABC has just been cheered for announcing they will give us the live simulcast every Sunday morning for the entire series, a 1st.
    We only get sport or special events live at whatever time like this, amazing, and fantastic.

ABC have responded wonderfully to fans of the Doctor, they used to make us wait months for the series - so everyone downloaded and complained. They changed, and now, wow they just keep making us happier and weekends will never be the same. Spring next week too:)
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kxk wrote: »
    Rated it's socks off in Oz, over 148,000 got up to watch the live simulcast at 4.50am Sunday. More went to cinemas.
    And over a million watched it later online or TV.

Our ABC has just been cheered for announcing they will give us the live simulcast every Sunday morning for the entire series, a 1st.
    We only get sport or special events live at whatever time like this, amazing, and fantastic.

ABC have responded wonderfully to fans of the Doctor, they used to make us wait months for the series - so everyone downloaded and complained. They changed, and now, wow they just keep making us happier and weekends will never be the same. Spring next week too:)

'STRAYA! :D
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,074
    Forum Member
    mediarat wrote: »
    who in this day and age can seriously have a problem with the representation of gay people in mainstream popular culture? we're all equal, end of. no legitimate religious or political idealism active today disagrees with this fundamental principle.

Yes, agree 100%. :)