Options

Have you done the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conveniently chopping off the part where I said my own brother refused to do it and fair enough to him. I refused to do the Neknomination and would do many others.
    Where did you mention your brother?? :confused:

I think people are getting caught up in the swell of this "fad". People donate to charity all the time but do it quietly with no fuss
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about this bucket thing. On the one hand I think it's a lot of attention seeking, band wagon jumping, unfunny nonsense and I would never lower myself to doing it or even watching any of the videos of it on my news feed. On the other hand not a single one of my friends has nominated me despite loads of them doing it, which tells me that they all (correctly) think I'm a miserable, humourless, po-faced bastard and means I don't get the pleasure of telling them all to jog on.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Most of the folk on my feed are posting the number to donate in the title or holding a sign with the info in the introduction/nomination part of the vid. They're also posting screenshots of their confirmation text in the comments.

MND Scotland posted a thank you this morning. As one of the less well known charities, they've been overwhelmed by the response - £125 000 so far.

https://m.facebook.com/mndscotland/photos/pb.109848316616.-2207520000.1409004892./10152683927771617/?type=1&source=54

Like it or not, it's been fantastic publicity and a good fundraiser. In the 11 years since I lost my dad to MND, I've never seen it get so much attention.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about this bucket thing. On the one hand I think it's a lot of attention seeking, band wagon jumping, unfunny nonsense and I would never lower myself to doing it or even watching any of the videos of it on my news feed. On the other hand not a single one of my friends has nominated me despite loads of them doing it, which tells me that they all (correctly) think I'm a miserable, humourless, po-faced bastard and means I don't get the pleasure of telling them all to jog on.

I thought that was happening to me:D Which I was fine with..but now I've been nominated twice so I've had the pleasure of telling them where to go.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did you mention your brother?? :confused:

I think people are getting caught up in the swell of this "fad". People donate to charity all the time but do it quietly with no fuss

Yes but do they donate $80 million all the time?
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like it or not

I've not seen a single person slagging off the money rasied - on that point I think we all agree. :)
  • Options
    MitzygMitzyg Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Not really. As long as they donate. But I very much doubt that the posters of the videos have actually donated.

I want to quote so many of your posts as you have the exact point of view to me. It's now just a facebook challenge to look good, I do not believe they donate, just wanna sit in their gardens with someone put ice (or tepid water) over them and post to facebook to look good, no donations from many I think
  • Options
    QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I've not done the challenge and I don't intend to either. I'm not doing something just so I can be part of a group that's done something that's ridiculously stupid. Doing it is just sackless.

Absolutely right IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have fun with the Ice Bucket Challenge -- and we can’t have that.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    People have fun with the Ice Bucket Challenge -- and we can’t have that.

Not on DS we cant!

Its OK to discuss soaps like they are real though. I prefer the real world where people have fun and a laugh.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not on DS we cant!

Its OK to discuss soaps like they are real though. I prefer the real world where people have fun and a laugh.

Theres no fun to me, in any charity request or donation being accompanied by sitting in an office, at home, on holiday etc as the 3rd of the month passes unnoticed and another £5 leaves your bank account. Purely for me, if If I am passing money over, I try to make them in conjunction with some 'relative' form of suffering, endurance pain etc and which are always good fun too.

This is the first thing I have seen on FB which even slightly qualifies as this.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did mine Saturday. I dont normally go in for Facebook or even more crazes, fads and fashions. But I was delighted to do this one and think its a brilliant idea. I donated to MND as did my wife, with the link to the cold sensation. The mother in law did hers and opted to donate to a tiny charity I had never heard of.

As for being a sheep, I had gone 40 years without ever wearing a pair of jeans or drinking tea because everyone else does. But if the kids want to throw buckets of water over Dad and did and loved it, mine and my wifes nominees all did it (bar one brother who refused and fair enough) the other 7 all donated to different charities where is there any harm or slightest fault in that?

As for the idiots claiming their FB news feed is full of people throwing buckets of water over them. I have spent, cumulatively probably two hours on FB so far in 2014 and more than double that, this weekend. There have been some hilarious clips and also some of people clearly suffering, in a good way, with it and shedloads raised.

Give it two days and we'll all be back to people checking in at Asda, photos of peoples dinner, updates throughout the morning on the delivery of a mattress, invites to build imaginary villages and multiple status updates, with "aaaawww babe" and "wots up huni" and plenty of people will be happy again.
    It stops being funny seeing the same thing over and over again. Once you've seen one person drenched in water, you've seen them all. People can do the challenge without filming it you know. It's good to raise money, however I'm not convinced that everyone is doing it for that, some are clearly doing it for attention seeking.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I've been nominated and I will be doing it in memory of my dad, who lost his battle with MND on my daughter's first birthday.

I am f***ing terrified! Dad was a notorious joker though, nae doubt he'll be sitting there on his wee cloud with a bottle of malt, pishin himself laughing. :D

how harsh is that. i lost an uncle to it and a friend`s daughter has it.

i`ll be donating, there`s NO WAY i`m getting videoed doing anything for posting on facebook.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's now been linked to (albeit not the actual cause of) a death of a young boy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-28925759
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very strange isnt it, those of us who dont think its daft of attention seeking see and hear our FB friends talking about donations and those who dont like it all haven't seen any
    Perhaps cause and effect are the wrong way round here! People are thinking it's daft *because* they haven't seen signs of donations, not because they are pretending they weren't there.
    Most of the folk on my feed are posting the number to donate in the title or holding a sign with the info in the introduction/nomination part of the vid.
    > carvere: Yes, same here. I texted ICE to 70550 but no confirmation.

According to the mnd association's twitter there's a delay in the conformation texts so I should think they have got the money or will do soon.
    That will be a neat trick!
    From what I can tell:
    ICED55 £5 to 70070 = £5 to MND Association or more, e.g. use £10 instead = £10 to MND Association.
    ICE to 70550 = £3 to Macmillan or 'FINE' to 70550 = £10 to Macmillan.

[ do nested quotes not work any more or did I break something? ]
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What miserable, po faced, gurning bastards, a lot of you are on here. Folk are donating to charity and having a bit of fun doing it. Why is that annoying you so much? You ought to get a life instead of sitting at a keyboard battering out moan after moan like a load of gormless fishwives at the wash house.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Miserable, po faced, gurning bastards, the lot of you. Folk are donating to charity and having a bit of fun doing it. Why is that annoying you so much? You ought to get a life instead of sitting at a keyboard battering out moan after moan like a load of gormless fishwives at the wash house.

did you read the thread :confused:

loads of posters on this thread have done. most, by the looks, are planning to or have donated, giving to charity isn`t compulsory and it`s customary to choose which charity one supports.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did you read the thread :confused:

loads of posters on this thread have done. most, by the looks, are planning to or have donated, giving to charity isn`t compulsory and it`s customary to choose which charity one supports.

Slightly amended it to refer to some on this thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I *might* have got away with not doing it. So far it's just scratched the surface of my friend group but it's starting to move away now.

Watch this space, I guess :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    What miserable, po faced, gurning bastards, a lot of you are on here. Folk are donating to charity and having a bit of fun doing it. Why is that annoying you so much? You ought to get a life instead of sitting at a keyboard battering out moan after moan like a load of gormless fishwives at the wash house.

Don't really care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I *might* have got away with not doing it. So far it's just scratched the surface of my friend group but it's starting to move away now.

Watch this space, I guess :D

Is there a rule that says you have to do it?
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most certainly not. It's all a bit narcissistic in my opinion. If you want to donate to charity, then by all means do so, but do not use peer pressure to coerce others into it.
    Never mind all the wasted water...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most certainly not. It's all a bit narcissistic in my opinion. If you want to donate to charity, then by all means do so, but do not use peer pressure to coerce others into it.

Some people in some countries would be glad of the clean water that's being wasted. Just a thought that sprang to mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not on DS we cant!

Soaps aren't real? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one into family got peer pressured. They were asked if they could be nominated first. They didn't have to accept.