Options

Local TV test transmission today

Comments

• Options
    upthemaggiesupthemaggies Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Waltham in General is pretty useless for Nottingham anyway. Only live 8 miles away from Nottingham and barely receive it.

I'm in Nottingham and can receive perfect reception of Belmont, Emley Moor and Sutton Coldfield (I could even pick up watchable Bilsdale pictures in the analogue days), but I can't pick up Waltham at all. Yet the mast is clearly visible with my own eyes if I walk 5 minutes up the road, so hills can be a problem here.

Fortunately I do get the Nottingham relay muxes and the trailers for "Notts TV" do look promising, I just hope they aren't as biased towards Forest in their football reporting as the local newspaper is (We do have TWO league teams and only one division apart!). Seeing that the Evening Post partly own the station, I'm not too optimistic on that front but I'll certainly give the news and discussion shows a go.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Nottingham and can receive perfect reception of Belmont, Emley Moor and Sutton Coldfield (I could even pick up watchable Bilsdale pictures in the analogue days), but I can't pick up Waltham at all. Yet the mast is clearly visible with my own eyes if I walk 5 minutes up the road, so hills can be a problem here.

Fortunately I do get the Nottingham relay muxes and the trailers for "Notts TV" do look promising, I just hope they aren't as biased towards Forest in their football reporting as the local newspaper is (We do have TWO league teams and only one division apart!). Seeing that the Evening Post partly own the station, I'm not too optimistic on that front but I'll certainly give the news and discussion shows a go.

Does "The Boys of '79 (Tuesday 21:00)
    35 years since Nottingham Forest first won the European cup, we celebrate one of the greatest achievements in football."
    Answer your questions :o

Then again The Boot Room says.... "A look back at the 2013/14 season for Nottingham's football teams."
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh,looking forward to that.

By the way,Notts TV will launch on Virgin Media on channel 159 ;-)
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Struggling to pick up Notts TV on Freeview just outside (South) of Nottingham City centre. On a set with an external aerial it recognises the channel but the signal quality is very poor and when there is a picture, it's very blocky and prone to interruption.

From what I've seen of London Live, Notts TV is right to start programming at 4pm. London Live has made a mistake in devoting three hours of live programming at launch on a breakfast programme most Londoners simply haven't the time to watch.

I hope Notts TV is a success. Now feels like a good time to launch. For a city hit by the financial crisis and has slipped behind other cities, there's a lot happening now with infrastructure upgrades and investment and it feels like the city has turned a corner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian001 wrote: »
    Struggling to pick up Notts TV on Freeview just outside (South) of Nottingham City centre. On a set with an external aerial it recognises the channel but the signal quality is very poor and when there is a picture, it's very blocky and prone to interruption.

From what I've seen of London Live, Notts TV is right to start programming at 4pm. London Live has made a mistake in devoting three hours of live programming at launch on a breakfast programme most Londoners simply haven't the time to watch.

I hope Notts TV is a success. Now feels like a good time to launch. For a city hit by the financial crisis and has slipped behind other cities, there's a lot happening now with infrastructure upgrades and investment and it feels like the city has turned a corner.
    By any chance are you using the Nottingham relay? The predictions for that dry up around the city centre (for a point of comparison here, not far from the city ground) the psbs are green, com's amber, and no prediction of any local multiplex from Nottingham (thankfully a piece of wet string gets Waltham here, where as an indoor aerial can't detect a sausage from Nottingham!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    By any chance are you using the Nottingham relay? The predictions for that dry up around the city centre (for a point of comparison here, not far from the city ground) the psbs are green, com's amber, and no prediction of any local multiplex from Nottingham (thankfully a piece of wet string gets Waltham here, where as an indoor aerial can't detect a sausage from Nottingham!)

It looks like Waltham (Notts TV is tuned to Channel 26 514Mhz).

My TV uses a shared external aerial so I can't change the aerial. I have Virgin Media so can still receive the channel (though it's not there yet!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian001 wrote: »
    It looks like Waltham (Notts TV is tuned to Channel 26 514Mhz).

My TV uses a shared external aerial so I can't change the aerial. I have Virgin Media so can still receive the channel (though it's not there yet!).

Ah, shared aerials - I've yet to be connected to a decent one (I still remember watching a ghosty Channel 5 on an indoor aerial aligned on Lichfield because it was less ghosty than the roof aerial on Waltham!)

If you have a signal booster kicking around it might be worth trying that - often the signal is on the week side and the booster just about makes it strong enough to be reliable enough for use! (Then again as it will be on Virgin 159 there might not be any point - and certainly not worth spending extra money on).
  • Options
    neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    when does the local mux go live in the stv glasgow area?
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    when does the local mux go live in the stv glasgow area?

It already is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a signal booster kicking around it might be worth trying that - often the signal is on the week side and the booster just about makes it strong enough to be reliable enough for use! (Then again as it will be on Virgin 159 there might not be any point - and certainly not worth spending extra money on).

Thanks. It's done the trick!
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am confused: our aerial points west to Black Hill. We receive all our services from Black Hill.

However, last week we received the two new local channels Pop and Chart Show TV but these channels were received on Channel 30 which is the local TV channel from Craigkelly! Which is to the east! We can't get any services when I manually tune in to the other Craigkelly frequencies. So how can we pick up these low strength local channels?

Can anyone clear up my confusion?
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    robot wrote: »
    I am confused: our aerial points west to Black Hill. We receive all our services from Black Hill.

However, last week we received the two new local channels Pop and Chart Show TV but these channels were received on Channel 30 which is the local TV channel from Craigkelly! Which is to the east! We can't get any services when I manually tune in to the other Craigkelly frequencies. So how can we pick up these low strength local channels?

Can anyone clear up my confusion?

The Glasgow local TV multiplex is transmitted via a directional beam westward from Black Hill. West Lothian is not in its coverage area. The robust transmission mode used for the local TV multiplex is probably allowing you to pick up the Edinburgh mux from the side of your aerial, or bouncing off from some other object.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any sign of STV Glasgow yet? With a week to go, I'm expecting the placeholder/trailer to be added today.
  • Options
    neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    It already is.

What channel is the local mux from Blackhill on, as it doesn't come in on an automatic tune and i am within the coverage area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trev wrote: »
    Oh,looking forward to that.

By the way,Notts TV will launch on Virgin Media on channel 159 ;-)

Its launching on Virgin 159 1600 this THURSDAY according to their Facebook page.

They also say "We're announcing a deal with Sky later in the year."
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What channel is the local mux from Blackhill on, as it doesn't come in on an automatic tune and i am within the coverage area.

UHF Ch 51
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Its launching on Virgin 159 1600 this THURSDAY according to their Facebook page.

They also say "We're announcing a deal with Sky later in the year."

Interesting to see how that developed...

Started with "we're launching on Freeview and Virgin", yesterday

by 4:15pm today, "Sorry if you're having problems with Virgin 159, we're working with them on it."

and then it's launching on Thursday.

What went wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Interesting to see how that developed...

Started with "we're launching on Freeview and Virgin", yesterday

by 4:15pm today, "Sorry if you're having problems with Virgin 159, we're working with them on it."

and then it's launching on Thursday.

What went wrong?

I couldn't possibly be someone getting Tuesday 27th and Thursday 29th mixed up could it? The 16:00 Thursday is very precise. Bare in mind that the original launch date they tweated was Tuesday 29th April....
    Whoops!
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L_MAN on C56 seems to have fallen off air this morning- gone since approx 8am*. Are L_LIV or L_PTN still up?

* or I've got a very strange fault since G_MAN on C57 is still ok and is normally a lower signal.

edit: sod's law - immediately I click submit it comes back up - at 8:45am
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's tv has its website up and runningthatstv.com
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't preston supposed to get it's local tv channel in a week or so? no sign of it yet on my tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Isn't preston supposed to get it's local tv channel in a week or so? no sign of it yet on my tv.

No. The mux officially goes on-air on the 26th (I think it already is?), but YourTV have not announced any launch date as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm seeing that BAYTVLIVERPOOL has appeared in the service tables coming from Winter Hill this lunchtime. I'm not on the Liverpool petal to confirm this but I'd expect that those on that petal can now get something on channel 8.
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    I'm seeing that BAYTVLIVERPOOL has appeared in the service tables coming from Winter Hill this lunchtime. I'm not on the Liverpool petal to confirm this but I'd expect that those on that petal can now get something on channel 8.

The test has has full video and audio, and is currently running a 2-3 minute long Bay TV Liverpool promo, consisting of various inter-cut sections of their existing web-based news reports.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Made In Cardiff' has appeared locally on Ch. 23 (but no EPG) running a 3 minute promotion loop.