Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_lyons wrote: »
    Tuned into VD this morning after an extended absence - first thing i heard was a woman sobbing, then Victoria oozing in a depressing tone.

Turned back to Talksport immediately.

Glad to see some things never change :)

I find myself turning to Radio 2 at 10am to avoid the Morning Misery. It's the only music I listen to during the week and I enjoy Pop Master (at least the 80s questions. I know nothing about music after about 1994)
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully not long to Sans Misery Five.

What make you think the new show will be without this supposed "misery"?

Have Disney taken over?
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    What make you think the new show will be without this supposed "misery"?

Have Disney taken over?

Misery to go with the Sony Phoney.
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure Peter Allen has the personality to do misery reporting. Can just imagine him telling people to just get on with it. I'm hoping the show switches to being a news show, I can't stand all this need for having guests in the studio to give us their stories all the time.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Richard Bacon's show today from the Edinburgh TV Festival would actually be quite a good listen if it wasn't for the irritating Boyd Hilton. I know he is Bacon's mate but other than that what is the point of Boyd Hilton?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Bacon's show today from the Edinburgh TV Festival would actually be quite a good listen if it wasn't for the irritating Boyd Hilton. I know he is Bacon's mate but other than that what is the point of Boyd Hilton?

Bacon has been in his natural element this week talking media with media insiders. I bet it's what a typical dinner party is like around his place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Bacon has been in his natural element this week talking media with media insiders. I bet it's what a typical dinner party is like around his place.

From what I heard him rabbiting on about it would be like hell on earth. :o
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shelagh Foghorn now spoiling my saturday mornings on LBC....and there's just drivel on 5live at that time too...so it's now Robert Elms on BBC London instead....
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I heard him rabbiting on about it would be like hell on earth. :o

Agree

Worse than the mother in law :o
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm disappointed the interview with the Libya reporter was cut short because of fireworks.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MOTD used JAG reading out the scores last night at the end to reflect yesterday's fixtures. Lovely touch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I'm not sure Peter Allen has the personality to do misery reporting. Can just imagine him telling people to just get on with it. .

Which is why Peter Allen is a broadcasting legend. Long may he continue :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extremely quiet on here. Anyone listening?
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Oh god that prat Bacon is arguing again because some anti American fantasy of his is not true.

Can't wait for this dick to go.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bayko busily dinner party name dropping .The man's incorrigible .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extremely quiet on here. Anyone listening?

God no. :o

After Womens/Mens hour this morning I very nearly lost the will to live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Who in the HELL listens to BBC 5 'Live'? FFS. Utter banal ****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who in the HELL listens to BBC 5 'Live'? FFS. Utter banal ****.

Is it the Five station that's dying or this forum? I must admit I am listening less and less each week. They have their faults however the home's radios tend to be tuned to Lbc (adverts), TALKSPORT (Brazil, Gough, Quinn and adverts) and 4extra (repeats after repeats after repeats) rather than Five.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it the Five station that's dying or this forum? I must admit I am listening less and less each week. They have their faults however the home's radios tend to be tuned to Lbc (adverts), TALKSPORT (Brazil, Gough, Quinn and adverts) and 4extra (repeats after repeats after repeats) rather than Five.

I'll never listen to Brazil. Eugh.

The initial poster also said that watching Match Of The Day is tantamount to being a terrorist so the opinions aren't that valid ;)
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The station does need a big shakeup. Far too many massive egos have dominated for too long (dame Nikki, the miserable one and Bacon).

I find the endless negativity the station comes out with just energy sapping and dull.
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the only person on this thread who will miss Richard, and especially his podcast. It was excellent today, with some really interesting and detailed discussions during an extra 40 minute chat with the two scientists who were on the live show.
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member

I think it is a bit of both - 5 Live is grinding through the dog days of summer, and I think that many of us are waiting for the changes to kick in to rejuvenate the schedules. There seems little point complaining about the usual culprits in the circumstances, especially as many of them are off in Chiantishire, and their stand-ins are doing a better job than they did. You do make a good point as to whether the listeners that they have alienated over the last couple of years will switch back.

There is still some good stuff about however, On the Money programme on the Future of Food on Sunday, and a very affectionate tribute for JAG, that summed up my memories of a time before instant digital meejah, when people listened to the radio for the football results.
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I did enjoy George Riley's presentation of Five Live Sport on Saturday. He seems to have the knowledge, passion and personality to carry the programme and I prefer him to the anodyne Speak Your Weight machine that normally presents the programme...regurgitating the facts whilst removing the splinters from his bum due to the six hours a week fence sitting he achieves.

On Breakfast, I always used to see George Riley as little more than The Ego's bag carrier, fawning at his master's whim. But, I think he has really come on a great deal since the World Cup and I liked his style on Saturday. He did the programme very well and should be given a longer stint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the Five Live production teams are busily arranging interviews with the Rotherham Council Chief Executive and the Top banana at South Yorkshire plod to discuss the disgraceful situation with regard to the sexual abuse of 1,400 youngsters and why no sackings? Or will they be rushing around desperately trying to find another news story? No commonwealth games, so will be tad difficult...Still I am sure they'll dig one up...
This discussion has been closed.