Options

9 year old accidentally shoots her gun instructor in the head with an Uzi

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think it acceptable to teach a 9 year old to handle a gun responsibly why would you choose an Uzi?
    Is she likely to own one later in life?
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It might sound shocking to people in the UK, but that is only because we don't have guns so deeply ingrained in our culture and constitution like the US does. Many people here balk even at the idea of police officers being routinely armed, the people who really would benefit from carrying a gun, never mind civilians having them.

Yes because the cops in the US are so trustful. Since 1990 the police force in America has had 4.3 BILLION dollars pumped into it for arms.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just love how 300+ million people are classed as gun nutters for one stupid incident.

So on that basis then, everyone in the UK is a peadophile based on the 1400 incidents in Rotheram?

Stupid logic by stupid people.

I would never classify all Americans as stupid but the national stubbornness on gun control is pretty idiotic. The nra should not be able to prevent the president from passing a gun control bill. any responsible gun owner should not mind having to fill out a few more forms and bullets should not be sold in supermarkets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just love how 300+ million people are classed as gun nutters for one stupid incident.

So on that basis then, everyone in the UK is a peadophile based on the 1400 incidents in Rotheram?

Stupid logic by stupid people.

It's not one incident though is it. It happens every damn day.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    This is what happens when you give a nine years old girl an Uzi. The U.S government will keep protecting the interests of the NRA, and will do nothing to protect the children and prevent them from shooting guns.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It might sound shocking to people in the UK, but that is only because we don't have guns so deeply ingrained in our culture and constitution like the US does. Many people here balk even at the idea of police officers being routinely armed, the people who really would benefit from carrying a gun, never mind civilians having them.

It's not all coppers who I don't trust with guns, but only the ones who wouldn't use shooting as a very last resort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    Yes because the cops in the US are so trustful. Since 1990 the police force in America has had 4.3 BILLION dollars pumped into it for arms.

American police forces do need guns though in a way that the irish and British police don't unless they're special branch etc
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the video, he was so happy about what he was doing aswell :D

Where's my 'instant karma' thread
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Whilst in my opinion a child should NEVER be firing anything greater than an air rifle, i can see the logic behind a US family who go hunting as a family activity wanting to teach their kids to use weapons responsibly, as completely messed up as that is.

However the very idea of a 9 year old firing an UZI is simply ludicrous. America is a scary place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American police forces do need guns though in a way that the irish and British police don't unless they're special branch etc

True but they don't get the training they need to defuse a situation without shooting look at the ferguson debacle.
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member

There are more people in the US that are against the guns laws than for them, it's just that the constitution and the NRA as well as the gun trade in the U.S. will never allow the status quo to change.

So just blame the whole population instead then... because it's easier than having to actually think about it instead.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    They are both sports and forms of entertainment. What useful things do you achieve by running around a field kicking a bag of air, or sitting in front of a TV watching someone else run around a field kicking a bag of air?

Running around a field keeps you fit, which helps you live longer. The same cannot be said for watching someone else do it, but in terms of entertainment, it's probably fairly low risk.

Riding a bike (the original comparison) helps you get to places like work or the shops, as well as keeping you fit, and being better for the environment (and cheaper) than running a car. If you go on a nice bike ride in the countryside, it helps you appreciate the world around you.

Teaching your child how to ride a bike, or having nice family days out on proper bike trails is a much better idea than taking them to a gun range to play with an Uzi. There is a risk they'll fall off an break something, but it's not actually that big a deal, especially when you consider the benefits.

With a gun, and especially that sort of environment, there is a risk that it might be used for its original design purpose, which is to kill someone. At best, you spend your afternoon pointing something at a target and hitting it. You might get satisfaction from being able to hit the target accurately, in which case, why have an Uzi? There are quite a lot of alternatives to guns that will serve that purpose, but some just like the thrill of playing with something lethal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watched the video, he was so happy about what he was doing aswell :D

Where's my 'instant karma' thread

while I find his profession distasteful, he wasn't doing anything illegal and rejoicing in his demise is frankly horrible.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

It will do. Huge country. Lots of people. As a percentage of the actual armed population though, I imagine the frequency of these incidents is negligible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    True but they don't get the training they need to defuse a situation without shooting look at the ferguson debacle.

I disagree. There are millions of fantastic cops in America who have great skills and deal in great danger every day. Also the missouri issue is unfair to use as an example as there are blatantly 2 sides to that.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    while I find his profession distasteful, he wasn't doing anything illegal and rejoicing in his demise is frankly horrible.

There's one less person in the world who would put an Uzi in the hands of a 9 year old girl, that can't be a bad thing. Terrible for his family though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are more people in the US that are against the guns laws than for them, it's just that the constitution and the NRA as well as the gun trade in the U.S. will never allow the status quo to change.

So just blame the whole population instead then... because it's easier than having to actually think about it instead.

I blame the Republicans it's quite clear that they only oppose gun legislation is because most of it's base are rednecks who think Jesus invented guns. They know if they were to agree with the democrats they would lose a good chunk of it's voter base and a lot of money from the gun lobby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's one less person in the world who would put an Uzi in the hands of a 9 year old girl, that can't be a bad thing. Terrible for his family though

the parents are the ones who allowed it. He's only doing what they asked.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually they are not though. Here is the thing, I give no blame to parents in the USA that these things happen. What do you expect to happen when you live and grow up in a society where guns are as preventative as they are in the USA? It is no one who lives there's fault that gun laws from the Wild West times still exist and corrupt the society and mindset there.

A society where guns are part of everyday life doesn't absolve the parents from having any responsibility. If, for example, petrol powered chainsaws were deemed legal for use by anyone, you'd be an absolute moron allowing your child to operate one.

Just because something is legal and is part of the constitution, doesn't mean allowing your children to use is okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. There are millions of fantastic cops in America who have great skills and deal in great danger every day. Also the missouri issue is unfair to use as an example as there are blatantly 2 sides to that.

Oh true there are great cops in the US but like every police force in the world you have bad cops the difference between our bad cops and americas is americas cops are armed to the teeth.

And there is no 2 sides to the ferguson story, There is the truth and what the cops say.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Recoil."
    "Automatic weapon."
    "Nine year old child."
    "Nation of gun nuts."

But, I bet if the safety catch was on and / or the gun was not pointing at the instructor she wouldn't have shot him.

A simple lesson of "Don't point guns at people" would probably have prevented the accident.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    It’s called risk vs reward. When risk is high and reward is low, we tend to err a little on the side of caution and try to mitigate that risk. When risk is idiotically high and reward is low, normal people despair at the inability of some to appreciate the difference.

This sort of thing rather demonstrates why despite the moaning that it sometimes goes too far, health and safety and ‘nanny state’ legislation is somewhat preferable to a free for all where people get to just decide for themselves what is dangerous. Some people really are utterly incapable of making that assessment rationally, as you ably demonstrate.
    I am fully in favour of banning children from handling Uzis :confused:
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh true there are great cops in the US but like every police force in the world you have bad cops the difference between our bad cops and americas is americas cops are armed to the teeth.

And there is no 2 sides to the ferguson story, There is the truth and what the cops say.
    AFAIK it's looking more increasingly like a justified shooting every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

we'll have to agree to disagree on the ferguson thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we'll have to agree to disagree on the ferguson thing.

Sure i'm not going to berate you, you have your opinion and i have mine on the situation, i could be wrong.