Options

Paedophile ring preys on 50 school girls in West Yorkshire.

Comments

• Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    I think it was one reason, but it certainly wasn't the only one. Reading the report the attitude of the authorities - especially the police and council 'leaders' was that these girls were simply not important, or were consenting or were lying.
    You're right to pick me up on this. In fact yesterday I corrected someone who made the same mistake
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it means absolutely nothing. There's paedophiles in every community.

True, though some communities seem to have a higher percentage than others.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, though some communities seem to have a higher percentage than others.

That's probably not the case. What is more likely is that it is more hidden in some communities.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    You're right to pick me up on this. In fact yesterday I corrected someone who made the same mistake

I am actually concerned that this aspect isn't getting the airtime it needs - there is a real problem with a general attitude that such children are 'slags' or 'troublemakers' etc and so not worthy of protection. It isn't just the men in the gangs who thought this - they exploited that attitude in order to evade justice for so long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    That's probably not the case. What is more likely is that it is more hidden in some communities.

I would disagree, remember in some cultures it's considered acceptable for a man to marry a child of 11 or 12.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's all a question of probability.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,194
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    People get riled when figures of authority are too scared to deal with the criminals because they are ethnic minorities and they fear being tarred as racist.

And ethnic minorities will be riled too that actions were not taken against the scum bags that committed these crimes! There should still be prosecutions done now against those who committed these crimes. If they can go back 50 years with the celebrities on historical sex abuse cases then they can act against these men too when its up to 16 years ago.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,194
    Forum Member
    No - because I have only been a member here for six months but I would have commented on these perverts if they were in the news. Try Savile, and Catholic priests to start with and then come back to this thread and slag me off.

Quite frankly I am outraged by any peodo motherf****r - so to suggest it is racist is counterproductive and frankly offensive. If an organised gang of wombles were doing the same thing I would be posting exactly the same views.

I should stick to sharks and dinosaurs or is that too 'mammalist' for you?

I think British men going out to the far east to abuse children is an ongoing problem. There are plenty of men that go out there to use prostitutes too.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

In this case, however, there are gangs of them, in several communites, throughout the UK. It means everything.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Ann Cryer flagged up this issue years ago. But lessons are apparently being learnt now, so I hear on the BBC. A case of lots of very slow learners perhaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    In this case, however, there are gangs of them, in several communites, throughout the UK. It means everything.

It doesn't matter how much you point out the bleed obvious, some people just do want to see the truth
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    And ethnic minorities will be riled too that actions were not taken against the scum bags that committed these crimes! There should still be prosecutions done now against those who committed these crimes. If they can go back 50 years with the celebrities on historical sex abuse cases then they can act against these men too when its up to 16 years ago.

This is not a statement against you Styker, as you are just saying what's in the media, but 16 years my arse! This has been going on for a lot longer than that. I was born in Rotherham and there was a park where the asians used to hang about near the ladies toilets propositioning young girls. I was also approached but my friends and I ran off as fast as our little legs could go. This was about 1962/63 and my friends and I were 10 or 11 at the time. The 16 years is all the authorities will admit to. There was also a certain area of Sheffield where I had another friend and they used to prowl around there doing the same thing. This would be around 1965/66. Asians again.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    Ann Cryer flagged up this issue years ago. But lessons are apparently being learnt now, so I hear on the BBC. A case of lots of very slow learners perhaps.

Just heard Shaun Wright, the police commissioner. He's not going to resign because he feels he's best placed to investigate now that he's been made aware of the scale of abuse which came as a huge shock to him...
    He shouldn't be given the option to resign . Instant dismissal is called for here and a new commissioner appointed who believes in law ENFORCEMENT.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »

I heard on the BBC that a Times reporter has been investigating this problem for years but got no response from the authorities.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »

oh I know that. I was responding to a specific comment relating to locations around the UK where there were no asian populations and was pointing out paedophiles are everywhere regardless of population make up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    One of the main authorities involved in this dreadful case had the nerve to say he wouldn't be resigning because (and I quote): "I am part of the solution, not the problem."

WTF?! You had 16 years to sort out this problem & you didn't- now you're saying you are part of the solution?? The arrogance is astounding.
    I also heard the Chief Exec of Barnardo's on Sky News this morning & he was wishy-washy & mealy-mouthed. Even chucked in the 'lessons will be learnt' line. Eamonn Holmes tore into his answers.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I heard on the BBC that a Times reporter has been investigating this problem for years but got no response from the authorities.

I'll bet he didn't. Shaun Wright talks of collective responsibilith - he was only one of a committee of 63. Could that be part of the problem? 63 people coming at this with different priorities none of which was protecting children or upholding the law.
    63 people were collectively responsible so in effect no one was.
    So who wrre these people . Their priorities should be looked a to establish why child protection was non existent. And why it is so few of the child rapists have actually been arrested.
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone could sit by while they knew abuse was happening and let it continue. The idiot do gooders all need their heads thoroughly examined and then should never be allowed to work with children again since their own screwed up ethics are clearly more important than the welfare of the children they are supposed to be caring for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberalism-Is-A-Mental-Disorder/dp/1595550437 :D
  • Options
    D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think it's a load of sh*te that people in this case didn't act because they were afraid of being labelled racist? Have you even read the report on this?

This whole attitude stemmed from the Blair/Brown administration, where anyone who spoke out against immigration was decried as a bigot (Gillian Duffy) or a racist. Even Labour peer Lord Glasman admitted it back in 2011:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8455072/Labour-lied-to-public-about-immigration-says-Ed-Miliband-aide-Lord-Glasman.html

I think it's a load of shite that that people are genuinely convinced that others have been reluctant to do anything for fear of being labelled a racist. It's a weak and pathetic excuse.

Are you seriously trying tp tell me that being called a racist is so bad that people will turn a blind eye to child abuse?
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For folks who want to claim this is an Asian affliction, please look up Jimmy Saville, Garry Glitter and Rolf Harris.

Sexual perversion is not limited based on race or economic status.

Were Jimmy Saville, Garry Glitter and Rolf Harris out roaming around in gangs, in towns and cities all over the country?

Did they prey on Pakistani girls only?
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also heard the Chief Exec of Barnardo's on Sky News this morning & he was wishy-washy & mealy-mouthed. Even chucked in the 'lessons will be learnt' line. Eamonn Holmes tore into his answers.
    Its on the web sitre buried in the video side bar at ,,,
    http://news.sky.com/story/1325507/rotherham-abuse-police-chief-refuses-to-quit

Very "Wishy Washy". I would like to see the authorities grilled by Mr Holmes.

I have to say why I share his frustration at the Chief Exec, I think he is the wrong target,
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See the Mail is using the rape of children to attack the BBC
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am listening to LBC and they have been discussing The Rotherham child abuse case ,
    and every time someone of any ' importance ' comes on air the phrase ' Lessons have been learned ' keeps being uttered , truth be told it is uttered when ever a child abuse case comes up or any major incident ie plane or rail crashes

The sad fact is it is obvious no lessons have been learned as stuff keeps happening, this phrase should not be used as it is highly misleading and just lazy
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I am listening to LBC and they have been discussing The Rotherham child abuse case ,
    and every time someone of any ' importance ' comes on air the phrase ' Lessons have been learned ' keeps being uttered , truth be told it is uttered when ever a child abuse case comes up or any major incident ie plane or rail crashes

The sad fact is it is obvious no lessons have been learned as stuff keeps happening, this phrase should not be used as it is highly misleading and just lazy

I think they all get briefed by the same people beforehand which accounts for the similarities in a lot of what they say...."no stone left unturned", "lessons will be learnt". Certainly the politicians do and I expect a lot of experts on national media get the same treatment if they are anyone important. They are fighting a PR war every day. Sadly, too many of them seem to have their focus on that rather than doing the right thing in their position.

I don't know how anyone even remotely related to the case can keep their job. The amount of negligence (at best) and corruption and complicity (at worst) is staggering.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,568
    Forum Member
    I think they all get briefed by the same people beforehand which accounts for the similarities in a lot of what they say...."no stone left unturned", "lessons will be learnt".

If I hear one more official or politician in the media say "lessons will be learned" I think I will vomit, it's become no more than a meaningless buck-passing platitude and it appears in every damn official report into anything that officialdom's ever done wrong. Yet the wrong-doings don't stop, so either lessons are not being learned or they are learning the wrong subjects!

The worst example to date has been the BBC TV interview with the The Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire, Shaun Wright, who was the councillor in charge of children's services at Rotherham Council from 2005 to 2010. But he's been using it, incessantly, with a twist: "Lessons have been learned" says he in a smug "you can't touch me!" manner.

Yes, I really think I'll vomit.