Options

Houston UFO sighting

Comments

• Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no doubt that UFOs are real. Aliens on the other hand...well, they most likely are real, out there, millions of light years away, but I highly doubt they have been here. If anyone has seen UFOs, or, indeed, had a 'close encounter' of any kind, there is another explanation for it.

Everything goes back to Roswell, where something definitely did happen, and whatever that something was got covered up. I don't believe for a second that it was an alien crash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I live in crop-circle-land, bang on the doorstep of henges and nice Wiltshire stuff. Every single year our town is overrun by what are mostly American tourists who come to see the aliens. They visit the crop circles, spend hours listening to people being paid to talk about it, and they're a pain. You go for a pint and they're shocked that while you live here you've never yet conversed with an alien and they think you're nuts for sitting in the crop circles that you know damn well the farmer paid someone to do, so that you can be at one with your spirit and do ommmm stuff to the aliens.

There's a lot of money to be made in this, but there's nothing but people willing it to be true.

There you go. I think most people would say they had seen aliens if they were getting paid to say so! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There you go. I think most people would say they had seen aliens if they were getting paid to say so! :D

The money in this is mental! Helicopter rides to fly over circles and henges. Sell out talks to show pics of the circles and henges and about the aliens that definitely did it. Tours that you can't get on without a waiting list for years and so on. If they stopped believing in aiens, my area would be very poor!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The money in this is mental! Helicopter rides to fly over circles and henges. Sell out talks to show pics of the circles and henges and about the aliens that definitely did it. Tours that you can't get on without a waiting list for years and so on. If they stopped believing in aiens, my area would be very poor!

So you've never had a close encounter...? :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you've never had a close encounter...? :kitty:

Only with the tourists, and the majority of them are alien enough for me :D
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I live in crop-circle-land, bang on the doorstep of henges and nice Wiltshire stuff. Every single year our town is overrun by what are mostly American tourists who come to see the aliens. They visit the crop circles, spend hours listening to people being paid to talk about it, and they're a pain. You go for a pint and they're shocked that while you live here you've never yet conversed with an alien and they think you're nuts for sitting in the crop circles that you know damn well the farmer paid someone to do, so that you can be at one with your spirit and do ommmm stuff to the aliens.

There's a lot of money to be made in this, but there's nothing but people willing it to be true.

Really? I thought that the farmers were always annoyed that someone had been on their property and damaged their crops, I didn't realise that the farmers instigated it all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Tremse wrote: »
    I live near an AFB and we get more than our fair share of UFO sightings here. It's pretty obvious they're testing new aircraft though. In fact, triangular craft were seen here in the early 80s, well before the Stealth F-117 made its appearance in the first Gulf War.

What you saw in the 80's was probably the prototype Stealth F-68 or something...then perfected to become the Stealth F-117. Although I'm not saying that UFO's don't exist I think a lot of it can be explained...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    dese_5757 wrote: »
    What you saw in the 80's was probably the prototype Stealth F-68 or something...then perfected to become the Stealth F-117. Although I'm not saying that UFO's don't exist I think a lot of it can be explained...

Back in the 80s there were some reports in the Scottish papers of strange, triangular shapes dark UFOs flying over the far Northern Highlands and the Islands. Many years later it transpired that the Stealth Bomber was also tested there too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Really? I thought that the farmers were always annoyed that someone had been on their property and damaged their crops, I didn't realise that the farmers instigated it all.

Think about it subjectively.

They get paid big to be part of the tours, there are donation boxes at the corn circles for the poor old farmer as well as entry fees to see flattened crops.

There's a lot of countryside in Wilts, but the aliens only use farmland. I've NEVER heard of a farmer complain. :)
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Stonehenge the ancient landing-port for Aliens in Wilts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't Stonehenge the ancient landing-port for Aliens in Wilts?

That's just the refueling point ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    And the pyramids are landing zones for ancient spacecraft too apparently. I saw it in a documentary, I think it was called Stargate. :)
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I do love life when one my greatest and most passionate of hobbies is discussed on digital spy.

As a Sky watcher and Ufologist and Non believer of alien life. Look up Fermi paradox in case you wonder why.

To me this case is redundant without any good quality video footage from several different angles.

My first thought when I saw these pictures was its either translucent balloons reflecting the brightness of the moon or Chinese lanterns joined together by some kind of fishing line or thin wire.

judging by these pictures http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727587/UFO-Houston-Bright-oval-object-photographed-hovering-citys-stormy-skies.html

It is not a solid object it does appear to be many smaller objects joined together. until we have video evidence though it is nearly impossible to tell from a few photographs.

I also urge some of you to google images (blimps at night) you would be amazed how common airborne objects can seem to change shape and angle at night with a few lights attached to them.

I have been a sky watcher since I was 8 years old, I spend at least 20 hours a week looking at the sky and only know of one phenomena I cant explain.

I don't disclaim that people have and do see stuff in the sky but I disclaim that what they see is unidentifiable.

If I was to look at the sky tonight I couldn't tell you where polaris is or the big dipper but I could tell you the difference between a light aircraft and a commercial airliner because something is only unidentifiable if you personally don't know what it is. That does not mean its magical or its aliens or its unusual it just means you have a lack of knowledge in that field of expertise.

I often wonder if UFO's did visit why a paranoid country like North Korea has not shot one down yet or even ever challenged the U.S on what they are.

The problem is with technology these days it is so easy to fake a convincing UFO picture so even if someone did catch a real life UFO people would still turn around and go (cough cough) photoshop.

My personal beliefs actually think we are alone within the universe, if not alone exceedingly rare and the nearest planet with life would be untouchable even with another 4 billion years to evolve, as the conditions outside of our solar system are to unpredictable and space is to vast of a distance for any civilisation to travel smoothly.

I find people that believe that Extra terrestrials are visiting us are a similar kind of people who believe in Ghosts or the afterlife. Its completely based on hope.

We all hope this isn't just it.
    Its just some need hope more than others.

Who am I to judge though.
    When even myself hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no doubt that UFOs are real. Aliens on the other hand...well, they most likely are real, out there, millions of light years away, but I highly doubt they have been here. If anyone has seen UFOs, or, indeed, had a 'close encounter' of any kind, there is another explanation for it.

Everything goes back to Roswell, where something definitely did happen, and whatever that something was got covered up. I don't believe for a second that it was an alien crash.

It was a weather balloon:confused:
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else heard about this? Basically a huge UFO was spotted, photographed etc in Houston, America, and people were going mental on twitter about it. As usual, this idiotic journalist has attributed the term UFO with aliens, as well as the 'expert'. I've seen a few UFOs in my time, and I don't usually genuinely link them to aliens. I get a chill and think 'oh my God, what the hell is that' but I usually think military secret planes, drones, some weird thing from Russia etc. Why can't these people use logic? UFO means 'unidentified flying object', so that can refer to anything that we cannot identify that is flying. That saucer was no plane to me. So the ironic thing in this stupid Mail article is the journo looks like a fool. They've tried to mock those that saw it and it has failed. Yeah, typical mainstream narrative, don't believe anything could exist that we as the public don't know, because we know everything about the world and universe and the government totally would never lie about anything would they?

The comments are worth a read and they make me think it could be more than just a military UFO in this circumstance, especially as some are saying it was shot down. Who knows.

The dreaded Mail link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727587/UFO-Houston-Bright-oval-object-photographed-hovering-citys-stormy-skies.html#article-2727587

I've seen that one before, just before the Mother ship comes into view in 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.

Science fiction, in other words. :)
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just the refueling point ;)

That's a Goodie explanation :)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Think about it subjectively.

They get paid big to be part of the tours, there are donation boxes at the corn circles for the poor old farmer as well as entry fees to see flattened crops.

There's a lot of countryside in Wilts, but the aliens only use farmland. I've NEVER heard of a farmer complain. :)

I think you mean "objectively". ;-)

But, yeah.
    It probably started off as a bunch of hippies or students and that probably did piss the farmers off but sooner or later the farmers, themselves, will have realised that evidence of an "alien landing" can generate more cash than a field full of barley can.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    No, I think Terra did :D

Aliens stole my keyboard :(
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is interesting. I was wondering what peoples' thought are on those who've claimed that not only have they seen "alien crafts" but were actually abducted by aliens and experimented on?! All drunk or hallucinating? All publicity seekers or what?

Btw, whilst on holiday in Vegas a couple of years ago my friend and I went into the desert to visit Area 51 - or at least as close as you're allowed to get without getting shot, lol! Sadly we saw no little grey men, most disappointing! We had lunch at the Little A-le-Inn in the nearby village of Rachel, which is full of alien related items, photos of "flying saucers" on the walls and UFO related merchandise to buy. It was hilariously brilliant and a really fun day out amongst some incredible desert scenery. The whole alien thing is certainly a really big money earner for that whole area.

Anyway, do I believe extra-terrestrials have/are visiting Earth? Probably not (why would we be of any interest to them anyway?) but who knows, eh? Anything is possible! I always try to keep an open mind on these things and don't automatically dismiss them just because I haven't seen any myself. I find the whole subject quite fascinating, actually. Do I believe there's life on other planets? Of course! To think that our tiny insignificant little planet is the only planet amongst trillions of others in the universe with some form of life on it is the height of arrogance and self importance!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't subscribe to the Fermi Paradox

Our intelligent life has only recently invented radio and space travel from a
    5 billion year old earth.

Civilizations may not last very long.

Out of millions of species on Earth, we are the only ones with advanced technology.

The Universe might be swarming with life, but they might all be Dolphins or Elephants and incapable of higher things or beings without opposable thumbs or at a lower technological advancement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I think you mean "objectively". ;-)

I totally did :blush:

In my defence it was stupid O'Clock and I was rather medicated :D But apart from that, I'm embarrassed now! :o
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 18 months ago I saw a dark object flying through the sky at night passing through clouds. I was not drunk or likewise at the time.

To add to the mystery UK aviation regulations state that all aircraft must have exterior lights when flying at night - this object had none and it was going pretty fast. Even high up aircraft you can usually see the flashing of the exterior lights.

Not saying it was aliens but was certainly a UFO and I could not explain what it may of been.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    About 18 months ago I saw a dark object flying through the sky at night passing through clouds. I was not drunk or likewise at the time.

What's that, flyin up there?
    Is it a bird? Noooooo!
    Is it a plane? Noooooooo!
    Is it the twister? YEAAAAAAAHH!
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's that, flyin up there?
    Is it a bird? Noooooo!
    Is it a plane? Noooooooo!
    Is it the twister? YEAAAAAAAHH!

Kind of stupid pathetic comment I expected from a Muppet.

The usual "I haven't seen anything so it must be lies or you are bonkers" attitude surfaces.

I know what I saw and I expect as usual people to think it was a figment of the imagination.

There are tens of thousands (if not more) who see strange things are they all "twister"?

It was cloud height and was definitely not a bird.

Like I said I am not claiming alien encounters but it was definitely some kind of aircraft.

The strange things as previously stated is that it had no lights - a legal requirement for all aircraft in UK aviation space.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Kind of stupid pathetic comment I expected from a Muppet.
    The usual "I haven't seen anything so it must be lies of you are bonkers" attitude surfaces.
    Forgive the pun but that clearly went over your head.