Options

Rape and misogyny in our entertainment products

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
*trigger warnings, of course, especially for the video*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i_RPr9DwMA

This video says more than I ever could and has been supported by entertainment pros such as Tim Schafer and Joss Whedon.

Depressing, disturbing, disgusting. I love how she also points out some video games that show mature themes without reveling in the nastiness of them. Video games are not evil, the rape culture we currently have is.

This has got to stop, this rape and misogyny culture has to end if we are ever to deal with the ongoing problem of rape in society, enough is enough.

(btw, this woman has received death threats for making these videos, fortunately I have received no such thing for ranting about Game of Thrones on here, just called a troll a few million times)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Zzzzzzzzzz *sigh*
    :sleep:
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's news to anyone that a fair number of video games are sexist or misogynistic to varying degrees. I think this needs to change, but how does misogyny equate to "rape culture"? Actually, what the hell is "rape culture"?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's news to anyone that a fair number of video games are sexist or misogynistic to varying degrees. I think this needs to change, but how does misogyny equate to "rape culture"? Actually, what the hell is "rape culture"?

It's where you blame men for attractive/sexy women.
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I'd bang the presenter any day of the week!
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Game of thrones rant alert!!!! In 3...2...1...
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How was it that I knew straight off before opening the thread who the op was and what tv show would be mentioned.

It's getting tired now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Game of thrones rant alert!!!! In 3...2...1...

This is exactly what the thread is actually about.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I open the thread, read the first line, don't open the link and think to myself "I bet the link is to that twerp that does feministfrequency vids".

And what do you know... ;-)

Her series on tropes is in video games is pretty poor, she deliberately leaves out any data that shows the opposite of the claims she makes, or flat out lies about things.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »

This video says more than I ever could

and yet you continue
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I open the thread, read the first line, don't open the link and think to myself "I bet the link is to that twerp that does feministfrequency vids".

And what do you know... ;-)

Anita Sarkeesian? I had some back and forth with Anita on Youtube before she called me a misogynist and blocked me. I committed the terrible crime of not agreeing with her that Bayonetta was sexist and an example of woman hating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    Anita Sarkeesian? I had some back and forth with Anita on Youtube before she called me a misogynist and blocked me. I committed the terrible crime of not agreeing with her that Bayonetta was sexist and an example of woman hating.

Yep that's her. Now I don't agree with the threats she got, she should be judged on what she says and whether she's right or wrong, not on her appearance, or worse.

I've heard she blocks any negative comments, therefore putting herself in a bubble of agreement, but when people react with rape or death threats over some woman making youtube vids about sexism in gaming, then I do have to side with her, it's out of order.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep that's her. Now I don't agree with the threats she got, she should be judged on what she says and whether she's right or wrong, not on her appearance, or worse.

I've heard she blocks any negative comments, therefore putting herself in a bubble of agreement, but when people react with rape or death threats over some woman making youtube vids about sexism in gaming, then I do have to side with her, it's out of order.

I definitely don't think the threats were okay. She has a right to air her ill informed opinion all she wants, trying to tell her she's wrong by being vile to her just makes gaming and gamers look bad.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, this is actually a discussion I'd be quite interested in having. With someone else.
  • Options
    Sanni SvennSanni Svenn Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I partly agree,
    why should women be objectified,
    but its not real.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely don't think the threats were okay. She has a right to air her ill informed opinion all she wants, trying to tell her she's wrong by being vile to her just makes gaming and gamers look bad.

I agree. The main thing that annoys me is I could live with a series on sexism in gaming, tropes etc, if it was done by someone who loved gaming and was a gamer (I mean seriously using Portal as an example of damsel in distress? Seriously?). It just smacks more of self promotion than actually caring about it, and it offers no solutions.

That being said, it's just a series on the tubes, and doesn't warrant people reacting in such a vicious way, therefore proving her point about the culture itself. :(
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    "Comments are disabled for this video"

Says it all really.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't comment on the latest video she has uploaded yet (I plan to watch it at 10pm), but if it is anything like the other previously uploaded videos she has released, I suspect it to contain more holes than swiss cheese, with no basis in science, reality or facts; but rather more of the usual I'd expect (patriarchy, privilege, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRSaLZidWI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    "Comments are disabled for this video"

Says it all really.
    Another usual tactic of feminists, disable votes and comments for your videos when people start to scrutinize the points you made in your video, ask you to cite your claims and then call you out on what you say when it cannot be backed up.

Recent example of this, read up on Zoe Quinn and the 'Quinnspiracy'.
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member

I agree. Attack the argument, except wait... video games are sexist.

Just because you like them, doesn't make them less so. I love video games, but I'm not going to defend how badly many treat women and how they are predominantly aimed at straight men. As a straight man who is not a sexist violent psychopath, I ask more from the computer games industry.

I think some computer games have moved on, and are capable of being intelligent story driven pieces as well as challenging and interactive. They still have a long way to go as a genre.

People defending games and attacking this women personally, as biased and dubious as some of her argument are, just confirm that she's pretty much correct in the basic truths. If you can't hardly the sexist aspects of games with suitable perspective, then you shouldn't be playing.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just realised I haven't re-watched Game of Thrones in a while. I think I'll do that now. Thanks for the reminder, OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    This video says more than I ever could and has been supported by entertainment pros such as Tim Schafer and Joss Whedon.

Shame that still wont stop you.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    I just realised I haven't re-watched Game of Thrones in a while. I think I'll do that now. Thanks for the reminder, OP.

The greatest show of all time. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Attack the argument, except wait... video games are sexist.
    The problem with Anita Sarkeesian as is the case with creationists, political commentators et al, is that they come up with a conclusion first (video games are sexist) and then attempt to find anything they can, no matter how far it can be stretched. Its the polar opposite of how scientists work - find the facts first and then make a conclusion based upon those facts whilst allowing their findings to be scrutinised and peer reviewed to ensure its validity.
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    The problem with Anita Sarkeesian as is the case with creationists, political commentators et al, is that they come up with a conclusion first (video games are sexist) and then attempt to find anything they can, no matter how far it can be stretched. Its the polar opposite of how scientists work - find the facts first and then make a conclusion based upon those facts whilst allowing their findings to be scrutinised and peer reviewed to ensure its validity.

Yes and that's what really bothers me.
    The fact that this is such a simple point to prove, and she fails so terribly. Then, it's so easy to point out how she is using a terrible argument and people who can't debate just resort to insulting her for her opinion in a sexist way.

It's like watching two bald men fight over a comb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately what tends to happen is that it reinforces the victimhood complex that feminists tend to cling toward, to enforce the suggestion that men are reacting against her because of misogyny and using a small minority of hateful comments and tweets to extrapolate the idea that all men are sexist. I do wish people would not react so strongly and I also strongly condemn the likes of rape threats and hate speech aimed at feminists, because in the long term, it aids feminists, it does not challenge their rhetoric and ideology.