Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    Charmaine CamerCharmaine Camer Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    An Extra Slice will be interesting..... a good job it wasn't on straight after GBBO... more time for Freezergate to simmer :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Extra Slice will be interesting..... a good job it wasn't on straight after GBBO... more time for Freezergate to simmer :D

GBBO is filmed months ahead of time, but the catchup show with Jo Brand is filmed more recently to it airing so it will interesting to see his thoughts after a few months
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Wow high drama tonight!

Did Diana sabotage Iain's pud? There was a lot edited out there, especially when he kicked off and stormed out :o

He totally shot himself in the foot as he could have presented what he had, and there were other disasters going on e.g. Chetna.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    They also all need to learn that if they keep opening and shutting a freezer door on a blazing hot day then it's not going to freeze anything.

I still think the GBBO production team need to think about the way it conducts the timings of these things. Rather than give them all 4 hours (or whatever it was) for the whole thing, it should be broken up. So, say, two hours to start out, and the ice-cream has got to be in the freezers at the end of that time.... then a break of 2 hours to allow it to freeze (any other cooking would be strictly forbidden during this time), then start the clock for the final two hours.
    Otherwise what we get is disasters involving non-set ice-creams going onto hot sponges on a warm day.
    It's not a reflection of the contestants' baking skills, which is what the programme is meant to be
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact Chetna had the same problem and still tried was the nail in Iain's coffin, he totally gave up, had he presented something I reckon Norman would have left.

In regard the timings, it's tight so we get disasters and everyone has the same time so no excuses when others had good baked Alaskas. It's like Project Runway, some make stunning ball gowns in a day and other flop. That's how the show maintains drama.

If everyone had loads of time to perfect their bakes it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as when we have some disasters contrasted with great bakes.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact Chetna had the same problem and still tried was the nail in Iain's coffin, he totally gave up, had he presented something I reckon Norman would have left.

In regard the timings, it's tight so we get disasters and everyone has the same time so no excuses when others had good baked Alaskas. It's like Project Runway, some make stunning ball gowns in a day and other flop. That's how the show maintains drama.

If everyone had loads of time to perfect their bakes it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as when we have some disasters contrasted with great bakes.

That's what did for him in the end. Mary and Paul were very positive about Chetna's attempt and took into consideration the fact that the weather played a part. Had it been a normal rainy day that would've been a different story.

I can understand Iain's anger though as it doesn't seem as though Diana did actually tell him 'Hey I am taking this out of the freezer because this one belongs to Chetna and I so could you put it somewhere else as I need to put mine in?'. His reaction seems to suggest that she didn't speak up, despite knowing the ice cream was his as Chetna clearly told her it was Iain's when they both looked in the freezer. The best thing he could have done was to go outside for a few minutes to calm down then come back inside to at least put the sponge and meringue together then come judging time he could have told Paul and Mary what had happened.

Even if his sponge and meringue hadn't been wonderful I think he might have got through over Norman this week. It will be very interesting to see what he has to say on Friday though. Diana might not have left it out of the freezer for long but because of the temps that day even a minute or so would have been enough to mess it up.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for that because it led me to a tweet that had me laughing so hard that my face is still hurting:
    Edward ‏@mr_edd_ 7h
    Meanwhile, Norman's bakes are becoming so basic that next week's showstopper is a bag of flour with a smiley face drawn on it. #gbbo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue Perkins has tweeted to say that Iain's Ice Cream was out the freezer for 40 seconds only.... no sabotage

It's fair to point out that a) it was an unusually hot day and b) Iain's dish was left on top of Diana's oven that was baking her swan pieces. It wasn't sabotage, I agree, but I think it was Diana's apparent selfishness or thoughtlessness that shocked some of us viewers.

In any case, Iain's departure isn't her fault. That fault lies with Iain by failing to provide something the judges can use to judge his effort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    She said ' he should've used his OWN freezer anyway' did they have allocated freezers and if so why wasn't he using it. And there was a ton of space in the briefly spotted chest freezer

She didn't say that. She said, "You've got your own freezer, haven't you?"

But no, they don't have allocated fridge-freezers. They swap counters each week, but some stick with the ones they used in the first week and the rest use the ones nearest to their counters.
  • Options
    VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Diana say to whiskers something like "you have your own freezer" or a similar comment? Sure I heard that if so it could make Diana come across in a not so good light. And if there was no room in her freezer because whiskers put his in couldn't she have just used the space in his?
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, maybe Diana was in the wrong but Iain behaving like a kid having a strop lost me any sympathy I might have had for him. Let's be honest, he had a tantrum and I hate that in adults. He deserved to go. He should have stood quietly someplace and counted to 100 slowly and then come back and make the best of his situation. After all, this is a baking competition, it's not life and death. There are millions of more important things.
  • Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree about the comparison with Chetna - I feel like Iain would have stayed if he had presented what he had.

However, whilst it agree that they should be under time pressure, I don't think that they should be fighting for freezer space. To me, Iain's was in the freezer and should have stayed there until he took it out. I think they should all have their own fridge & freezer then other people opening the door is not going to affect your creation, otherwise other people's actions will impact your bake - even if it is just 2 other people opening the doors and rearranging things.

I'm sure part of his frustration was that he wanted to shout at the person who took it out, but he couldn't. I think the judges would have been quite lenient with him & he would have stayed if he had presented something, so for me, that is why he was the master of his own downfall, rather than whoever took his ice cream out of the freezer.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this has certainly got the nation talking hasn't it?

I wonder if they will bring this incident up on the Extra Slice show when Diana gets eliminated. I hope the public reaction to her isn't too harsh because none of us really know what happened
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have an oven each...... should have a fridge each to prevent meltdowns.
  • Options
    UndefinedUndefined Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Sue Perkins posted on Twitter that Iain's Alaska had only been out of the freezer for 40 seconds.
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vientre wrote: »
    Didn't Diana say to whiskers something like "you have your own freezer" or a similar comment? Sure I heard that if so it could make Diana come across in a not so good light. And if there was no room in her freezer because whiskers put his in couldn't she have just used the space in his?

Yes, she did say that, or words to that effect.
    She appeared to be the self-appointed freezer monitor.
    It's clear from the opening and shutting of the doors they had to share freezers.
    Whether he was in the wrong freezer or not, she should know better than to remove someone elses food.

I really wish he'd soldiered on, but I can see why he was so upset. They're only baking cakes, but they clearly all care and get stressed.
    I said in the thread last night I think they should have had a bye week and eliminated two next week. I think that would have been more fair considering the circumstances.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Undefined wrote: »
    Sue Perkins posted on Twitter that Iain's Alaska had only been out of the freezer for 40 seconds.

As he'd put it in a freezer there's no reason for it have been out of the freezer or left on the side for any seconds.
  • Options
    UndefinedUndefined Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    As he'd put it in a freezer there's no reason for it have been out of the freezer or left on the side for any seconds.

Agreed. I'm just adding potentially useful information to the conversation :)
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    I agree.
    It was purposely taken out and left.
    The little "you've got your own freezer..." comment, although not said in a nasty tone, was quite spiteful, imo.
    They don't set challenges requiring fridges and/or freezers every week, they have to share. I can't see why Iain would walk out of his way to use a particular fridge if there was one closer and even if he did, why didn't whoever needed the space he'd taken up just find another freezer?

Diana removed his food because she didn't think it should be in that freezer. I don't know why that's her call or why she didn't have the decency to say she'd removed it.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what has added fuel to the fire is Diana's lack of concern for what she did (or the BBC's crafty editing so it appeared that way). So while Iain was going through all his emotions she appeared to be unconcerned. Blithering on about her bloody swan.

If she did apologise and show concern and the BBC chose not to air that then that is very bad. But I have a feeling she didn't. Even at the end when he was told he was leaving her face showed not a trace of concern. I watched her when the camera was on all of them. I would have been upset if my actions had caused such a situation. :(

So while Iain did ruin his chances by throwing his food away I can understand why people are annoyed with Diana.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Mmmmm- I might watch the You're Fired prog tp see what Iain says

It will be an interesting watch.

I wonder if Diana will turn up for the Extra Slice on the week she's shown being kicked off?
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she wins now just to see what everyone says. (Joke).
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious way to handle the potential problem of a hot weekend and the need to make ice cream was for the contestants to have made it the day before and left it in the freezer to harden up overnight.

However that would have led to no "drama" and, I suppose, a pretty boring showstopper day when all they had to do was make sponge and meringue.

As someone else pointed out BAKED Alaska is supposed to be cooked in the oven. That's the whole point of the revolting pudding - the "miracle" of cold ice cream covered in hot meringue!
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not click. Step away from your computer. Take a deep breath and say "I want to enjoy tonight's show and I want it to be a surprise."

Better?

Phew. Made it by ignoring the internet before transmission
    Andagha wrote: »
    Ugh can't stand Tiramsiu mainly because it is coffee and I can't stand coffee. I have seen a black cherry version which I would happily eat. |Apparently the sponge is soaked in kirsch...

For years I thought Tiramisiu was a town in Romania :blush:

We don't know yet, do we, whether Diana withdrew (gracefully or not) between the two recordings?
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing like a bit of abuse of an old lady to make people feel good about themselves :)