Options

Douglas Carswell MP Defects To UKIP

Comments

• Options
    AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    That's probably true. Apart from Clacton (which according to my map is slightly north of Watford)

That's how irrelevant Clacton is to me. And you, apparently, given you needed to check the map ;)
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,013
    Forum Member
    I wonder if David Davis will follow him? Another man whose talents are going to waste in a Tory party lead by Cameron.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28967904

Interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if he could get other backbenchers to jump ship if they feel they're being ignored by the leadership.

Carswell is the "Forlorn Hope." they will wait until they see how well he fairs. If he doesn't come away with decent majority, it is unlikely any others will risk it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, apparently he's considering going for Tory mayor when Boris steps down. .

Oooh. I hadn't heard that but it would be interesting especially with respect to Heathrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Goldsmith would be one likely ship jumper. He so rich he doesn't need to be an MP for the money or climbing the ministerial greasy pole so he could be willing to put his seat on the line.

But he is hardly UKIP's greatest fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a tactic they learned from the SNP.

So, instead of actually answering the question, you refer to a political party that has no relevance to the debate at all?
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Oooh. I hadn't heard that but it would be interesting especially with respect to Heathrow.

Yep, Boris is trying to encourage him to go for it apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure, apparently he's considering going for Tory mayor when Boris steps down.

Because the majority of the "controversies" about them are massively taken out of context or exaggerated when you delve in to them properly.

Such as?
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    At least we are ridding the Conservative Party of its loons. There's an opponent of gay marriage gone :D

If the Tories are ridding themselves of its loons then there won't be many left- Just you and Ken Clarke? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may never had heard of him but he has been one of the party's "free thinker" mavericks for years. He's bright, articulate and is certainly no fool.

Switching to UKIP doesn't sound very bright.
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is no longer an MP.

Is it an immediate resignation? (You'll notice I recognised his decision to stand down and campaign in by-election).
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Haha, apparently Conservative HQ sent this out this morning: http://t.co/iLraKaQ0wQ Awkward indeed!
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I wonder if David Davis will follow him? Another man whose talents are going to waste in a Tory party lead by Cameron.

Very amusing.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, Boris is trying to encourage him to go for it apparently.

Hmmm - so if the Mayoral election is Goldsmith vs Diane Abbott, who would pro-Heathrow Tories vote for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically he is as he hasn't resigned his seat yet.

Well, I'm confused. Has he or has he not resigned from parliament? Is he officially a representative of UKIP in the House of Commons? Do UKIP hold a whip in the House of Commons?
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Tories are ridding themselves of its loons then there won't be many left- Just you and Ken Clarke? :D

You are being naughty again northantsgirl. There are very few loons in the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    What's the point of holding a by-election eight months before a general election?

Sounds like a guy who likes the smell of his own hype.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    But he is hardly UKIP's greatest fan.

Plus Richmond is prosperous, well-educated, cosmopolitan. Not exactly UKIP territory.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    I'm making the point that in the wider country I doubt anyone has ever heard of him. At least, north of Watford.

He's one of the better known backbenchers. I accept that those who wouldn't be able to name the Chancellor of the Exchequer or the Leader of the Opposition (many more than you might think) won't have heard of him, but anyone who follows politics at all will know who he is.

By the way before becomng MP for Clacton he was the Conservative candidate in Sedgefield against Tony Blair in 2001.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    Saying on SkyNews more a vote for the person.

WOW! :eek: It must be true then.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »

He's certainly no stranger to controversy regarding by elections, and I agree, his talent is going to waste on the backbenches. There's a potential credibility problem though for any MP, and this is Douglas's gamble, which I'm certain he knows about. Is he going to be allowed to add something to and enhance UKIP, or will his joining UKIP diminish his reputation?
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,196
    Forum Member
    What's the point of holding a by-election eight months before a general election?

Sounds like a guy who likes the smell of his own hype.

Exactly. Who gets to decide the by election date too? The Tories or UKIP?
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »
    If the Conservative Party is sensible, they will throw everything into the by-election and ensure Carswell is defeated. It would be the death knell for UKIP.

Or
    The Tories could sacrifice this seat by having a mediocre candidate, which will split those who vote for the party and those who vote for the candidate.
    So if Labour get in through the back door, due to the split in votes,it will demonstrate the dangers to voters thinking of switching to UKIP.
    i.e. Vote UKIP, get Labour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Any MP can resign from their party and join another one if they want. They don't have to resign their seat.

Only if that party has a whip in the House of Commons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm confused. Has he or has not resigned from parliament? Is he officially a representative of UKIP in the House of Commons? Do UKIP hold a whip in the House of Commons?

1) He resigned from the Conservative Party and joined UKIP this morning so he is currently a UKIP MP
    2) He is going to resign his seat but the mechanism is actually quite archaic and convoluted so he will likely still be an MP on Monday when the Commons returns

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resignation_from_the_British_House_of_Commons

Since he will be their only MP for a few days he'll be able to whip himself as much as he wants.