Options

Louis van Gaal as manager of Manchester United

Comments

• Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If United finish 2nd or 3rd would you still like him to come back to you?

Who else would you have played at left wing back taking into consideration the injuries that United have to their first team squad?

Absolutely! I'll stand corrected for sure.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it difficult to believe that some people actually believe this rubbish.

And yet funnily enough what happened the following season, with those championship winning players.

And not all of the problem was down to Moyes.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And yet funnily enough what happened the following season, with those championship winning players.

And not all of the problem was down to Moyes.

There were several reasons for what happened last season, none of which rendered the previous season's title 'lucky', or 'fortunate'.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't win a 38-game competition by being lucky.
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    No doubt Van Gaal has made some very dubious calls in his first few games. I will be very interested to see if he can pull them out of this slump.

I predicted they wouldn't get top 4 last season and got laughed at, I predicted in the summer they wouldn't get top 4 and got laughed at. I still think they won't be anywhere near top 4 this year. I really couldn't believe it when pundits were backing them to win the title. They obviously bought into the LVG hype and the preseason hype.

You were laughed at, but that was for your hissy fits, threats to leave and never return and your spamming the forum with your "drink it up" comments. I'm still laughing at it.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its very early to be saying man utd cant make top 4, like lvg has said his teams start slowly(whether thats acceptable or not is another debate), there is plenty of time to right the ship and likes of di maria are only gonna help matters.

3 promoted teams up next, if they get maximum points they could be above some of their top 4 rivals!

after 3 games last year it would have been harsh to say moyes failed and same applies here, now its just a case of lvg proving he can improve the side, something moyes failed to do ultimately.

me personally i think top 4 will go down to wire, liverpool,arsenal,spurs,everton and man utd will be fighting for 2 spots out of the top 4 imo(could be 1st spot never know!) but i think city/chelsea will definetley get top 4. so should be cracking race. if i had to make a prediction i would go with what i said last year, man utd to miss out but like i said long long way to go.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree there. A lot of these fans will only be used to winning under Sir Alex and last season it was basically blame Moyes for everything. Now LvG is in and he's still not won a game I don't think they quite know who to blame and are lashing out. Some of them were even blaming Moyes for the defeat to MK Dons.

Moyes was completely out of his depth. Many Utd fans were happy to give him a chance however. If he had been at any of the big clubs he'd have been shown the door earlier.

Like I said in an earlier post, the Moyes fan club on here is quite touching.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eye Itch wrote: »
    You were laughed at, but that was for your hissy fits, threats to leave and never return and your spamming the forum with your "drink it up" comments. I'm still laughing at it.

I'm laughing a lot harder than you at the moment ; )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    its very early to be saying man utd cant make top 4, like lvg has said his teams start slowly(whether thats acceptable or not is another debate), there is plenty of time to right the ship and likes of di maria are only gonna help matters.

3 promoted teams up next, if they get maximum points they could be above some of their top 4 rivals!

after 3 games last year it would have been harsh to say moyes failed and same applies here, now its just a case of lvg proving he can improve the side, something moyes failed to do ultimately.

me personally i think top 4 will go down to wire, liverpool,arsenal,spurs,everton and man utd will be fighting for 2 spots out of the top 4 imo(could be 1st spot never know!) but i think city/chelsea will definetley get top 4. so should be cracking race. if i had to make a prediction i would go with what i said last year, man utd to miss out but like i said long long way to go.

Good post.

It's far too early to be making any realistic predictions (other than City & Chelsea finishing in the top four, at least), but this is a pretty decent summation, I think.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post.

It's far too early to be making any realistic predictions (other than City & Chelsea finishing in the top four, at least), but this is a pretty decent summation, I think.

thank you

should also add deadline day has not even passed yet. 1 or 2 additions could change the landscape big time, especially if one of them is vidal.(if he stays fit)

the midfield even with herrera looks poor compared to rivals,but vidal is damn good, will drive you forwards but also be a ball winner and goal scorer. he is a game changer imo and possibly a season changer!
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    is that the MArtin Keown that is a very experenced manger who has sent many years working at some of the top clubs in football and mangered teams to many cups or is that the Martin Keown thats known for sitting on his backside talking rubbish?

Yeah, I mean what does Martin Keown know about defending?!
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Know him well do you?

When you pick a team worth tens of millions of pounds and it gets beat 4-0 off a team worth £250k which was a 500/1 shot and you say you're not shocked I think you might be telling porkies.
    If you genuinely think that there's no truth in that, then you must either not think that players can be affected mentally, or you just want to keep on going on about how 'terrible' United are, repeatedly. If it's the latter, then I can't possibly think why that might be.

Oh, wait. Yes I can.

The evidence is quite clear, if you take the trouble to actually watch them play. And no, I'm not and wasn't talking specifically about that one game.

A lack of confidence from Moyes tenure is a ridiculous excuse. He was sacked in April. You've got international players worth tens of millions who seem to be playing in a system they aren't very familiar with and getting beaten badly by a league 1 team. The defence is really poor and LvG keeps chasing midfielders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lack of confidence from Moyes tenure is a ridiculous excuse.

It really isn't.

Nobody is claiming that we don't have other issues, but dismissing the effect of Moyes' tenure completely is incredibly basic.

Still, you keep beating your drum. It's really original and interesting.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I mean what does Martin Keown know about defending?!

When you pick a team worth tens of millions of pounds and it gets beat 4-0 off a team worth £250k which was a 500/1 shot and you say you're not shocked I think you might be telling porkies.

A lack of confidence from Moyes tenure is a ridiculous excuse. He was sacked in April. You've got international players worth tens of millions who seem to be playing in a system they aren't very familiar with and getting beaten badly by a league 1 team. The defence is really poor and LvG keeps chasing midfielders.

Your abilty as a player has nothing to do with having the abilty to come up with tactics etc. He was no more then a foot soldier. You told him to do this and he did it. He has not shown any evidance of having a understanding of how to set out a football team or an a abilty to judge what a player can or cannot do (more so when he has not seen them in training or had any one to one time with the player).

Was I shocked that Utd lost? Not at all, We have seen big teams go out to smaller teams before and we will see it happen again.

Considering he has bought a defender and we have no idea who Utd are or are not after (unless of course you do know him since you know when he is lying) I dont see how you can say he is "only chasing midfielders"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really isn't.

Nobody is claiming that we don't have other issues, but dismissing the effect of Moyes' tenure completely is incredibly basic.

Still, you keep beating your drum. It's really original and interesting.

Since Moyes was sacked:

Man Utd 4 Norwich 0
    Man Utd 0 Sunderland 1
    Man Utd 3 Hull 1
    Southampton 1 Man Utd 1
    Man Utd 1 Swansea 2
    Sunderland 1 Man Utd 1
    MK Dons 4 Man Utd 0

How long are you going to blame Moyes? It's as poor an excuse as blaming injuries when you can afford to sub off Kagawa for Januzaj whilst your opposition play guys not good enough for Brentford.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Moyes was sacked:

Man Utd 4 Norwich 0
    Man Utd 0 Sunderland 1
    Man Utd 3 Hull 1
    Southampton 1 Man Utd 1
    Man Utd 1 Swansea 2
    Sunderland 1 Man Utd 1
    MK Dons 4 Man Utd 0

How long are you going to blame Moyes? It's as poor an excuse as blaming injuries when you can afford to sub off Kagawa for Januzaj whilst your opposition play guys not good enough for Brentford.

Seven games, of which Van Gaal has been in charge for three.

Yeah, they should have completely forgotten all about their woeful showing last season, and have completely adapted to Van Gaal's system by now.

The fools.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is early days but it is hardly a stellar start.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    You can't win a 38-game competition by being lucky.

But it does help a bit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Moyes was sacked:

Man Utd 4 Norwich 0
    Man Utd 0 Sunderland 1
    Man Utd 3 Hull 1
    Southampton 1 Man Utd 1
    Man Utd 1 Swansea 2
    Sunderland 1 Man Utd 1
    MK Dons 4 Man Utd 0

You clearly lack a basic comprehension of morale and psychology.

But you know, they are paid tens of thousands a week, and were bought for £X million pounds, so they should be cyborg football players who are immune to basic human controlling factors eh.

You are either very naïve, or just on a wind up.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »

But you know, they are paid tens of thousands a week, and were bought for £X million pounds, so they should be cyborg football players who are immune to basic human controlling factors eh.

Football mangement is simple

its 4-eving 4-eving eving 2 formation. If you earn more then a dustman your not allowed to have a bad game and you shout alot and swear and wave your arms about and say "Lad" and "works hard" and "we put in the hard work" alot
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    But it does help a bit

Never enough to be a deciding factor though.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Never enough to be a deciding factor though.

The vast majority of clubs have bad patches and if you are lucky enough to play them in the middle of the bad patch it can make the world of difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »

Blaming Moyes for the defeats is absurd as crediting him with beating Norwich 4-0 in the game after he was sacked. If you want to blame someone blame the LvG system which is obviously not working considering Swansea, Sunderland and MK Dons have all played better than you. It's more lack of confidence in that system rather than lack of confidence because a manager that was sacked moons ago.
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blaming Moyes for the defeats is absurd as crediting him with beating Norwich 4-0 in the game after he was sacked. If you want to blame someone blame the LvG system which is obviously not working considering Swansea, Sunderland and MK Dons have all played better than you. It's more lack of confidence in that system rather than lack of confidence because a manager that was sacked moons ago.

You're so pathetically transparent, it's hilarious.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This thread was dormant for a couple of hours, and then guess what you come along to bump it again, as Eye Itch says, you are so see-through and transparent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread was dormant for a couple of hours, and then guess what you come along to bump it again, as Eye Itch says, you are so see-through and transparent.

Not even 2 hours, it's hardly like bumping a thread from 10 years ago. This thread will be revisited after every Man Utd defeat and LvG tactics backfire no doubt.