Options

Throw away lines that may be important.

Comments

• Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Just for fun...

1> The Doctor supposedly swapped his watch for a coat - presumably but not definitely the Timelord Tech "watch" that may be holding a copy of his "soul" (for want of a better word)

2> Strax warned Clara about "fluid retention". We have many previous examples of "portents" being signalled with similar passing lines.

3> Vastra claims to have "been there" when T-Rex walked the earth. That would place her at a point in time before we would have expected Silurians to have evolved. Could "was there" have actually referred to the unseen adventure that lead to the Tardis being in that T-Rex's throat?

4> That "missing story" is significant in its own right. To the best of my knowledge, it's the first time we've had a gap between a regeneration and the first broadcast story since 2005 and the only one before that left the opening for the "War Doctor". It's clear that the trip to pick-up that T-Rex happened in a very short gap between the regeneration at the end of the last series and the Tardis being in London in this series and the new Doctor had just asked Clara if she knew how to fly the Tardis

5> The Doctor's comments about the bedroom were very similar to the comments from 11th Hour - "Why do you call it a duckpond when there's no ducks" - and it was only much later that we found that it was actually a very early explanation for the way that Amy (and others) would "remember" things that had been removed from history (why else would no-one even question the "fact" that they had never had any parents, for example). When Matt made that comment, no-one knew about the cracks and their effect.

6> The Doctor repeatedly questioned Clara's identity - and it appeared that Vastra shared some of those concerns.

7> Missy was played by a (brilliant) Glaswegian actress but she spoke with a broad Lancashire accent. Odd that an episode with so much emphasis on sounding Scottish has Michelle Gomez matching Clara's accent.

8> Another "religious" theme with "the promised land" and another significant female character within that religious theme that appears to have an "intimate" connection to the Doctor - shades of Tasha Lem, perhaps?

1. Haha, what?
    2. What?
    3. She means, she was there when dinosaurs evolved. I thought that was obvious.
    4. See above.
    5. Cracks are done. Bringing them back would be a stupid idea.
    6. Well done.
    7. She can't help her accent. If it is Clara, bring on the reapers in Episode 12.
    8. Well yeah, but not the same character.

Maybe throwaway lines are just throwaway lines.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Maybe throwaway lines are just throwaway lines.
    I think Minky gets that, this is just for fun rather than assuming there actually will be any significance to them.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I think Minky gets that, this is just for fun rather than assuming there actually will be any significance to them.

Correct.
  • Options
    rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for fun...

7> Missy was played by a (brilliant) Glaswegian actress but she spoke with a broad Lancashire accent. Odd that an episode with so much emphasis on sounding Scottish has Michelle Gomez matching Clara's accent.

I noticed that, too. Also, the fact that she referred to the Doctor as her boyfriend, after a lot had been made throughout the episode of the relationship between Clara / Eleven and whether it was that of boyfriend / girlfriend. Could she somehow be Clara? (I wouldn't put it past Moffat!!)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I would have thought the Watch would have been the wrist watch the 11th Doctor wore (though I'm not sure if he wore it with his purple outfit) . Clara knew which watch the Doctor meant and there's no evidence she knew of the Fob Watch.

You can actually see Capaldi wearing the wrist watch when he is hanging upside down in the tree.

So I'd say it was pretty much confirmed that this was the watch he swapped for the coat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone say for certain when Matt first started wearing that wristwatch? I can't see it when he wears the clothes he nicked from the hospital in 11th Hour - which suggests that he got it elsewhere.

If the watch already belonged to the Doctor, it's easy enough for a DW writer to later say that it was TimeLord tech of some sort.

Just as an example - NOT A "THEORY" - he could later inform us that the watch has a tracker built in and he can use it to locate the tramp - the tramp having agreed to help the Doctor and/or Vastra (Moffat is a big Sherlock fan - obviously - and Sherlock had a load of tramps and urchins that ran errands or got information from places where Holmes would never be trusted)

And just because...

Hasn't it been stated that the Doctor has a in-built sense of time - as do all TimeLords? If so, why would he need a wrist watch?

Has any other incarnation of the the Doctor worn a watch?

Besides, what use is a regular wristwatch to someone who can go from 11pm to 1am in a second?

It's interesting to note that there's another thread with people questioning why the pocket watch was removed from the new title sequence. Isn't it possible that we're about to be told that ALL watches have a special significance if owned by the Doctor - so they didn't want to make it appear to only apply to that one, specific timepiece.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting theory and the fact that the Tramp is played by a member of the Who Family could easily be someone someone important.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Hasn't it been stated that the Doctor has a in-built sense of time - as do all TimeLords? If so, why would he need a wrist watch?

Has any other incarnation of the the Doctor worn a watch?

QUOTE]

A quick search: loads of photos of McCoy wearing a wristwatch; not always, but Wm Hartnell often wore a watch and chain; couple of Troughton pics with wristwatch, but some of those might be duff continuity of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    A quick search: loads of photos of McCoy wearing a wristwatch; not always, but Wm Hartnell often wore a watch and chain; couple of Troughton pics with wristwatch, but some of those might be duff continuity of course.

Nice one.

Re the Troughton piccies - looks like he only wore the watch in the later "multiple Doctor" stories - noticable that those photos were in colour.

Certainly looks like McCoy wore a wristwatch most of the time. There's a few photos of Pertwee with a wristwatch but I think that they were only from publicity stills - not from the show.

One point worth making...

Matt's Doctor aged hundreds of years whilst wearing that same wristwatch.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    Maybe a statue?

We already know it wasn't a statue.
  • Options
    rettop70rettop70 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I'm sure 11 checks the watch when confronting Prisoner Zero at the end of The Eleventh Hour?
    Didn't Matt Smith say somewhere that the watch didn't really work either?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    all the photos I've found are of it showing the same time - which begs the question - what was it really telling the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hang on....

matt was still wearing DT's suit when he was talkin to prisoner zero
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not on the roof at the very end, he'd been through the hospital collecting clothing
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote:
    We already know it wasn't a statue.
    How? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rettop70 wrote: »
    Not on the roof at the very end, he'd been through the hospital collecting clothing

Are you saying he was sporting that wristwatch?

If so, provide ev-eeeed-enences

Only arskin cos i carnt see it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Are you saying he was sporting that wristwatch?

If so, provide ev-eeeed-enences

Only arskin cos i carnt see it

Yup he wears it, here's. Crappy still I just took from a YouTube video when he speaks with the atraxi...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/cherryflvrdgum/BA3318BA-45BF-4CE8-9FF6-1EED80CC5B39_zpsyljf13gd.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was getting my Atraxi and Prisoner Zero mixed up so apologises for any confusion - but it's definitely there.
    Also the thing about the Doctor's new face I think it's a reminder of some of the bad deeds his done, as he mentions at the end of Deep Breath (not sure if anyone's come up with this before) - don't think we'll see him go back to Pompeii though.

Of topic slightly but watched the last forty minutes or so again on BBC Three last night and thought maybe if they had trimmed the running time a bit it would have made for a better episode, when Capaldi is calmer with less of the accent he is very good - just saying like:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yup he wears it, here's. Crappy still I just took from a YouTube video when he speaks with the atraxi...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/cherryflvrdgum/BA3318BA-45BF-4CE8-9FF6-1EED80CC5B39_zpsyljf13gd.png

Cheers :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they are going to explain why he looks exactly like Caecilius, maybe they'll tie it in with Karen Gillan being there at the same time.

And I'm wondering if they try to "explain" the same face appearing in Torchwood - especially if Captain Jack ever meets the new Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just thought of something else that could be expanded on later - whatever the Doctor was trying to calculate with all that maths and Gallifreyan script in the bedroom - it wasn't connected to anything in that episode (and we would be making an assumption if we say it was just to show him being crazy).
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Gomez didn't sound Lancastrian at all. She also made reference to the fact that she had the "same" accent as the Doctor (ie. Scottish). Just yet another reference by Moffat that Capaldi is Scottish and keeping the accent. Hopefully they don't continue or they'll get very tiring indeed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    If they are going to explain why he looks exactly like Caecilius, maybe they'll tie it in with Karen Gillan being there at the same time.

And I'm wondering if they try to "explain" the same face appearing in Torchwood - especially if Captain Jack ever meets the new Doctor.

I doubt it - Moffit hates Captain Jack and Torchwood. The only gay/bi characters Moffit finds acceptable in life are females - hence the over use of the lesbian lizard and her wife. Moffit has done everything he can to kill off Torchwood and Jack, never mentioning them again and as a final "up yours" to the RTD era, has cast a prominent character from BOTH series as the Doctor himself!

My guess he is hoping that we will all forget about the past and accept his tenure as the ultimate gospel. This is the most "in your face" example of Moffit killing off Torchwood and distancing himself from Captain Jack!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Possibly just a way to show that she's got some sort of Doctor fixation - have Ms Gomez use her own accent the next time we see her and imply that she's just copying the Doctor - something along the lines of "Single White Female".

Incidental to that - if it is the case - will be another recurring feature of post 2005 DW. We've had a few cases of people doing "vocal impressions" of the Doctor - Donna did it, as did Sky (Midnight).

I dunno who this woman is - but she is delightfully insane! No doubt she is part of the "big picture" story line that will only resolve at the end of the series. I like the idea of Miss C and Missy being the same - as for accents, well I am not from your part of the world so I cannot tell the difference between all the different regional accents, but the line she says "I like his new accent, I think I might keep it" stood out a mile! What a strange thing to say! Perhaps the doctor is not the real doctor, but a droid created by Missy and just perhaps.... Missy is in fact the master!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Might be worth bearing in mind that the garden in we saw as "The Promised Land" is the same one that was used in "The Girl Who Waited" and that garden had a somewhat heavenly connection