Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    We seem like a striker who is woefully out of form, but then gets a lucky goal, and then goes on a bit of scoring spree.

Hopefully when that first win comes, that will give the players and everyone a bit of a boost.

I think that will eventually happen, but when it will happen i don't know. We have too much quality for this bad run to go on forever.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the spirit. :)

This is a team in transistion. We have to shift quite a few players who have been cowering in a Utd shirt for far too long? We need some luck with injuries and I don't know what we have to do to get a penalty either.

This team finished seventh last season? It won't be a quick fix.

Can we afford to have another transition season?

We need to start getting the wins as soon as possible, and once the window closes and we have our squad for the time being, and LvG has more time to train with them (due to our smaller schedule), hopefully that will lead to us performing better, as the players fully adapt to this system.

Yes the injures will need to ease up, as the number of them is really hurting us.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mata was absolutely woeful today, his technique seems to have deserted him all together, januzaj should play instead of him next game. hopefully a switch to 4-3-3 for the next game, luckily our next game is at home against struggling QPR, even in our current form we should be good enough to beat that lot. i worry that van gaal will be stubborn and continue with 3-5-2...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Why would they be 'disinterested'?

They're under intense scrutiny in every game. It makes no logical sense for them to think, 'Meh, I can't be arsed. I don't mind getting ripped apart by the media and fans.'

There have been a couple of times last season and this season where some players have just given up, and it is clearly evident when they play. Don't know exactly what they lack, but it just seems the spirit and morale is low. There are players in that squad that were no doubt better under Sir Alex (probably due to the fact his man-management was super). We both know this isn't Man United, and some of the players are not playing to their full potential.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    That's the spirit. :)

This is a team in transistion. We have to shift quite a few players who have been cowering in a Utd shirt for far too long.We need some luck with injuries and I don't know what we have to do to get a penalty either.

This team finished seventh last season. It won't be a quick fix.

Too many people were expecting LVG to be an instant saviour. Make no mistake, this is going to take a while to rebuild United, and as you said, we're in transition. How long that transition lasts depends on how quickly we can bed in new signings and offload the deadwood, how well the players adapt to 3-5-2, and most importantly, how well LVG can change this complacent, apathetic mindset that a lot of these players seem to be giving off. Personally, I think if the mindset of these players changes, that will go quite some way to helping us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    I think that will eventually happen, but when it will happen i don't know. We have too much quality for this bad run to go on forever.

QPR now becomes the next "must win" game, the pressure just cranks up that bit more the longer our winless run goes on.

It says something where I am actually asking myself "can we beat QPR at home?":confused:

Yes we have too much quality for this to go much longer, but that is severely being hampered by our lack of confidence throughout the whole team it seems.
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think we would have got a penalty if Young's previous dives hadn't had happened
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stress how much 3-5-2 doesn't work. And I don't think it will ever work in the Premier League. It's painful to watch and I fear LVG is going to stick with it.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sueeeh wrote: »
    There have been a couple of times last season and this season where some players have just given up, and it is clearly evident when they play. Don't know exactly what they lack, but it just seems the spirit and morale is low. There are players in that squad that were no doubt better under Sir Alex (probably due to the fact his man-management was super). We both know this isn't Man United, and some of the players are not playing to their full potential.

I don't disagree that a few of them look like different players.

'What they lack' is confidence. Ferguson made them feel invincible. Moyes made them feel like also-rans. Van Gaal has to rebuild the mentality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mata was absolutely woeful today, his technique seems to have deserted him all together, januzaj should play instead of him next game. hopefully a switch to 4-3-3 for the next game, luckily our next game is at home against struggling QPR, even in our current form we should be good enough to beat that lot. i worry that van gaal will be stubborn and continue with 3-5-2...

I hope that Januzaj plays in the next match as he seems like a more exciting player than Mata at the moment.

I don't think that we will be changing formation anytime soon, as LvG seems to have put his name behind it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'What they lack' is confidence. Ferguson made them feel invincible. Moyes made them feel like also-rans. Van Gaal has to rebuild the mentality.

How does someone rebuild confidence in a group of players?

Do we have a club psychologist?

is is a very difficult situation that we find ourselves in, and will take time to change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member

Yes, I know they lack confidence. Rebuilding the mentality and the club in general can take quite some time (trust me, I know, being a Liverpool fan). I won't be writing them off after 3 matches, and think they'll scrape top 4, but it is crucial the supporters stand by LVG whatever happens, or it'll be 'David Moyes' all over.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we afford to have another transition season?

We need to start getting the wins as soon as possible, and once the window closes and we have our squad for the time being, and LvG has more time to train with them (due to our smaller schedule), hopefully that will lead to us performing better, as the players fully adapt to this system.

Yes the injures will need to ease up, as the number of them is really hurting us.

Last season wasn't a transistion,it was a bleeding nightmare.

The wrong appointment right from the off, Moyes faffing around in the summer with transfers.

Without being too disrespectful we've got a a crock shite of players who've been wearing the shirt too long.

We're paying the price for failing to invest in 1-2 quality players a season,especially after the 2008 success where we sat back and became complacent and took too many risks on buying cheaper punts.

I have faith that we will turn it around.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does someone rebuild confidence in a group of players?

Do we have a club psychologist?

is is a very difficult situation that we find ourselves in, and will take time to change.

I don't know 'how' you do it.

They need to have the fear removed. Every defensive error, short back-pass, long ball or cautious pass back to another defender/De Gea is borne of fear.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where was Wilson today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last season wasn't a transistion,it was a bleeding nightmare.

The wrong appointment right from the off, Moyes faffing around in the summer with transfers.

Without being too disrespectful we've got a a crock shite of players who've been wearing the shirt too long.

We're paying the price for failing to invest in 1-2 quality players a season,especially after the 2008 success where we sat back and became complacent and took too many risks on buying cheaper punts.

I have faith that we will turn it around.

One nightmare season followed by a transition one, is two seasons that we really cannot afford to have.

We should have bought when we were in a position of strength, rather than trying to buy ourselves back to the top.
    All those cheaper punts all put together could have at least bought us one good player!

We need to change the squad and remove the players that are living off past glories (like Young, Valencia, Anderson at the very least), we are starting to change the squad, but it will take longer and be costlier still before we can even count ourselves amongst the top or best sides in the league.
    I don't know 'how' you do it.

They need to have the fear removed. Every defensive error, short back-pass, long ball or cautious pass back to another defender/De Gea is borne of fear.

Perhaps we could bring in Paul McKenna in and hypnotise them into being a good unit?!

Fear really is a killer for any team,big or small.
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wins will restore confidence even if it starts with a scrappy 1:0 victory least we had a clean sheet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie15 wrote: »
    Wins will restore confidence even if it starts with a scrappy 1:0 victory least we had a clean sheet

We are unbeaten away from home!

Yeah...that is nothing to excited about is it?! :blush::blush::(
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,062
    Forum Member
    This is painful. God help us against the 'big' teams
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stoke are winning, I can't even get any satisfaction from seeing that.

And just to rub it in, it was Diouf that scored it.
    Check out @br_uk's Tweet: https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/505736189866151936
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,610
    Forum Member
    We are unbeaten away from home!

Yeah...that is nothing to excited about is it?! :blush::blush::(

It's our worst start to the season since 2007-8, and we won the league that season.

2007-8: W0 D2 L1; points 2; F1 A2; GD -1; Goals scored 1.
    2014-15: W0 D2 L1; points 2; F2 A3; GD -1; Goals scored 2.

Final position: 1st. Early days.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stoke are winning, I can't even get any satisfaction from seeing that.

And just to rub it in, it was Diouf that scored it.
    Check out @br_uk's Tweet: https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/505736189866151936

Diouf being one of the many punts we took taking us into this mess we have now.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I hope that Januzaj plays in the next match as he seems like a more exciting player than Mata at the moment.

I don't think that we will be changing formation anytime soon, as LvG seems to have put his name behind it.

Ditto.:p

Good to see Man City are losing at least, doubt it'll finish 0-1 though..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Stoke held on, so at least I won't get as much stick as I might have got from my City friends.

Oh and Zaha scores for Palace, is this rub it in our face day??
This discussion has been closed.