GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'You make me com
    plete
    You make me com
    plete
    You make me....'

You just know that Joss wanted to finish that song a syllable later than he did.

And Spike's song is the best. The lyrics are fantastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    We'd probably still only be finding slight undertones if we were seeing the whole... event, as it were, and from a wide angle :P

By the way Valourant, the next Buffy episode is a total classic too! Got some pretty cracking moments in there!
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valourant wrote: »
    - 'Walk Through the Fire' was legitimately my favourite song in the musical episode. What was yours?

I LOVE OMWF!! It instantly lifts my mood and apart from the first time I saw it, I don't think I've managed to not join in the singing on every rewatch ( I re-watched it so much I learnt every song:p) :D. And yeah, Under Your Spell, when I first heard it I used to sing it everywhere, not realising the undertones at the time:blush::o.

Song preferences would be:

Walk Through The Fire
    Something To Sing About
    Going Through The Motions
    Rest In Peace
    I've Got A Theory
    I'll Never Tell
    Under Your Spell
    Where Do We Go From Here
    Standing
    What You Feel

so basically all of them:p
    Janus_Mars wrote: »
    Tis the most incredible thing I have ever seen! One big turn off with seasons 1-2 is that you can tell it's quite old+from the 90's etc, sometimes looks very classic Dr Who-esque...

It does look amazing in HD ( and I would love to see Spike up close with that clarity:blush:), but one of the reasons I especially love season 1 and 2 so much is because they've got the 90's look about them. I wouldn't want to swap that for any swanky new super polished finish, their more than fabulous just as they are:cool:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I LOVE OMWF!! It instantly lifts my mood and apart from the first time I saw it, I don't think I've managed to not join in the singing on every rewatch ( I re-watched it so much I learnt every song:p) :D. And yeah, Under Your Spell, when I first heard it I used to sing it everywhere, not realising the undertones at the time:blush::o.

Yeah, the lyrics are *almost* as suggestive as what happens too! I vividly recall an example of this being... well, the entire last verse (before she sings about how com....plete Willow makes her). I don't think I'm reading too much into things right now either.

(Let's just play a casual game of spot the English Lit student who's desperately trying to avoid getting a head start on her second year reading list. I don't think you'll have too much of a problem :p)
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, the episode that spawned a thousand copy cats and none as good. Perfectly demonstrates the sheer brilliance and genius of Joss Whedon. The thing is with Whedon is that he's very hit and miss but when he's in the zone he's in the zone. OMWF is a masterpiece and, hands down, the best Buffy episode.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt a highly unpopular opinion in this thread, but personally I prefered the Xena musical episode "The Bitter Suite", which came before OMWF.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I didn't realise it was an undertone, I thought it was pretty obvious what was happening!

I almost heard her singing "You make me come ! " in my head , I don't think it was that subtle .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    I almost heard her singing "You make me come ! " in my head , I don't think it was that subtle .

BIB: Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd read in this thread! But yeah, maybe undertone wasn't the best word to use. :)
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    No doubt a highly unpopular opinion in this thread, but personally I prefered the Xena musical episode "The Bitter Suite", which came before OMWF.

I agree. Bitter Suite was brilliant and the cast were much better singers!

I love Buffy and I loved OMWF but it has always bugged me when Buffy keeps getting the credit for pioneering things like musical episodes, strong female leads, mixing comedy, drama and action etc. etc.

Xena was there first and really deserves a bit more acknowledgement for it!
  • Options
    TheCrackInTimeTheCrackInTime Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I've been lurking in this thread for a while, as I've been watching Buffy/Angel for the first time recently too. OMWF is without a moments doubt, my favourite episode of the show so far (I'm about 2/3 of the way through S7) and probably one of my favourite television episodes of all time. Not only were the songs nicely written and very well performed by the cast, but nearly all were used to move the story along. Every song (bar the Mustard and Parking Ticket ones) had a narrative point to it, even the two lines Dawn started to sing before being whisked away by Sweet's henchmen, feeds into the loneliness that she feels throughout the season.

I don't think I could just pick one song as my favourite from the episode, but Going Through the Motions, I've Got a Theory, Under Your Spell, Walk Through the Fire and Something to Sing About are definitely all in my top 5, and I'd absolutely recommend picking the soundtrack up. Not only does it have all the music from the episode (titles and credits included), but it has some incidental music from Restless, Hush and The Gift, as well as a demo version of Something to Sing About with Joss Whedon singing Spike's part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago, on Halloween, Kate Nash and her band performed the whole of OMWF in concert.

Here's the opening number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8AYPDYnC8
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I agree. Bitter Suite was brilliant and the cast were much better singers!

I love Buffy and I loved OMWF but it has always bugged me when Buffy keeps getting the credit for pioneering things like musical episodes, strong female leads, mixing comedy, drama and action etc. etc.

Xena was there first and really deserves a bit more acknowledgement for it!

Buffy is not the first show to do a musical episode but it was the way it was done and the narrative context that made it so clever. After OMWF there were many copy cats immediately afterwards. Why were they inspired by OMWF but not Bitter Suite?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Xena just wasn't as high profile as Buffy. There was massive hype surrounding OMWF. I recall when SFX magazine did their annual readers awards, OMWF was voted best episode of the year by readers, before it had even aired (and this was in the days before streaming etc). I'm not going to get into a debate about which was better, I like both episodes, (up to a point) I simply prefer The Bitter Suit.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Buffy is not the first show to do a musical episode but it was the way it was done and the narrative context that made it so clever. After OMWF there were many copy cats immediately afterwards. Why were they inspired by OMWF but not Bitter Suite?

Bitter Suite actually had just as much narrative context. Like OMWF, it was a very dramatic story line with its story told through song and it brought to a climax a lot of the drama that had been building in previous episodes.

I can't really think of the copy cats you're referring to so I couldn't say where they got their inspiration. I can think of a Warehouse 13 one, recently, but that's about it.

In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if OMWF may actually have got its inspriation from Bitter Suite anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been lurking in this thread for a while, as I've been watching Buffy/Angel for the first time recently too. OMWF is without a moments doubt, my favourite episode of the show so far (I'm about 2/3 of the way through S7) and probably one of my favourite television episodes of all time. Not only were the songs nicely written and very well performed by the cast, but nearly all were used to move the story along. Every song (bar the Mustard and Parking Ticket ones) had a narrative point to it, even the two lines Dawn started to sing before being whisked away by Sweet's henchmen, feeds into the loneliness that she feels throughout the season.

I don't think I could just pick one song as my favourite from the episode, but Going Through the Motions, I've Got a Theory, Under Your Spell, Walk Through the Fire and Something to Sing About are definitely all in my top 5, and I'd absolutely recommend picking the soundtrack up. Not only does it have all the music from the episode (titles and credits included), but it has some incidental music from Restless, Hush and The Gift, as well as a demo version of Something to Sing About with Joss Whedon singing Spike's part.

Hello, and thank you for recommending the soundtrack to me. I was hoping there'd be one for Once More with Feeling and I think I agree with you that it's one of the best if not the best episodes so far in the Buffy-verse. And, out of interest, what persuaded you to start watching both series? :)
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, on Halloween, Kate Nash and her band performed the whole of OMWF in concert.

Here's the opening number:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8AYPDYnC8

I'm listening to the full set as I type this - thanks for the link! Does anyone know if there are any other celebrity fans of Buffy and Angel? I know I could probably research this myself but I just figured it might make for an interesting point of discussion.

Quickening

- Yup. Holtz is definitely going to try and kill Angel and Darla's kid assuming neither parent does it themselves that is.

- So that's what the exterminators were all about. Very clever.

- I wonder if Darla will genuinely give birth at the end of the episode?

- I'm curious to know more about the demon that's allied itself with Holtz. And minor nitpick but if the demon can cross dimensions and see into the future then shouldn't he know whether Holtz will show mercy or not?

- Mail room man will be important later on, I'm guessing? On a side note, I think it might have been interesting to see some romance for Lilah. Then again maybe not. I like her in the role as the cold-hearted bitch.

- Seriously are all doctors creepy/evil in Angel and Buffy? I mean Dr Wandering Hands, The Ring of Amara Guy, Ben...

- Although I can understand the baby having a cult ready to worship it, why are vampires so concerned about a human child? Or is it more so for the circumstances surrounding its birth?

- I can actually see Angel becoming a dad in this the more and more I think about it.

- Even though I think it's too soon to tell whether or not Darla will try and repent, I can actually see the story line heading in that direction. She could be sort of like this series' Spike.

- Silly Fred. :p

- I think it was relatively obvious that's what the cliffhanger would be but it's still pretty exciting all the same.

- To conclude, that was quite good and I'm glad they didn't resolve the Holtz plot in the space of an episode. Even though I'm tempted to say not that much happened looking back and I didn't really have much to talk about I still enjoyed the numerous ways in which the plot advanced. I'm much more excited to see the next episode though. I wonder what they'll name the baby? I can see them having arguments about it. ^_^

I've also been watching some more Dollhouse these past couple of days and am now 2 episodes away from the first season finale. Due to the core concept behind it, obviously some episodes are better than others but as of late it's been getting really quite good. There was a really great twist in episode 11, just so you know! There's also a lot of recognizable elements from Buffy/Angel within - the relationship between the Dolls and their Handlers is very reminiscent of that of a Slayer and their Watcher for instance. There's also a character called Topher who reminds me so much of Warren it's pretty insane, and I think Amy Acker's character could easily be what a more confident Fred is like in the present day. So, if anyone's wanting another Joss Whedon show to watch needless to say I'd recommend that. :)
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never thought to check DS for Buffy related stuff. Probably my favourite ever tv series. Couldn't get on board with Angel though. I couldn't get passed the irish bloke in S1! Tried a few times but Arrrgh!

Haven't even bothered with Hallowhedon for a couple of years!
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if there are any other celebrity fans of Buffy and Angel?

Russell T Davies is a huge Buffy fan.. in an interview he said that they'd watch Buffy episodes and then use them as a model for storytelling in Doctor Who.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, I think Dollhouse is great too! Plenty of twists there though. Also gotta love both Fran Kranz and Amy Acker in that show... well and mostly everyone else too, but yeah. Glad you're enjoying it too.

You've got exciting and/or interesting things coming up in both Buffy/Angel too so that's something to look forward to. Though don't expect everything to turn out as you expect it to (as always :P)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Never thought to check DS for Buffy related stuff. Probably my favourite ever tv series. Couldn't get on board with Angel though. I couldn't get passed the irish bloke in S1! Tried a few times but Arrrgh!

Haven't even bothered with Hallowhedon for a couple of years!

I just looked up Hallowhedon and I want to go so bad! And I didn't realise that D'Hoffryn and the creepy doctor (Ronald) from Angel are played by the same guy!

As for whether or not to perverse with Angel or not, I think it definitely does get better after the first couple of episodes but whether or not you want to stick it out is completely up to you. :)
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Russell T Davies is a huge Buffy fan.. in an interview he said that they'd watch Buffy episodes and then use them as a model for storytelling in Doctor Who.

I was aware of that to a degree, actually. Like, I knew Love and Monsters was inspired by The Zeppo - which made me a teensy bit worried at first even though I don't hate that episode as much as some - and the show in general owed a lot to Buffy but to get proper clarification is still pretty cool. I wonder if any of The Avengers cast like it too?
    Kaisha wrote: »
    Yep, I think Dollhouse is great too! Plenty of twists there though. Also gotta love both Fran Kranz and Amy Acker in that show... well and mostly everyone else too, but yeah. Glad you're enjoying it too.

I've seen all of Dollhouse Season 1 now and it was pretty good for the most part. The finale was a little confusing - in terms of some of the flashbacks - but I imagine we're going to get some more clarification soon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've seen all of Dollhouse Season 1 now and it was pretty good for the most part. The finale was a little confusing - in terms of some of the flashbacks - but I imagine we're going to get some more clarification soon?

I totally know what you mean - but by the end of the second season it does make a bit more sense, though there should of obviously been more episodes, the show does have some conclusion at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tabula Rasa

- That was probably the most surreal opening to an episode yet. I'll be very, very disappointed if we don't see the shark gangster again.

- Although I can understand Willow's feeling guilty about what she did, I have next to no sympathy for her it has to be said.

- Since Willow is going to go without magic for a week, I wonder if Tara might die this episode?

- It seems the theme of this episode is identity, dependency and people wanting things back the way they were.

- Willow! Tsk! I'm actually really 'angry' about that.

- Spike looks like the Eleventh Doctor. All he needs now is a mop and a fez.

- I figured that's what the plot of the episode would be when I first found out the title. And what's the betting that Willow's going to become slightly ostracized from the group at the end?

- There were so many brilliant lines and moments in the scene where the Scoobies first lost their memory. I think if I had to pick just the one though it would be Spike believing his name is Randy. I also really liked Giles believing he's a parent and deeply in love with and engaged to Anya.

- I also wonder if this episode will be a chamber piece, and if Buffy calling herself Joan is a reference to Joan of Arc?

- There's an awful lot of spells for summoning bunnies.

- The Angel reference made me laugh.

- I bet there's so much fan-fiction where Giles and Spike are father and son.

- I was sort of hoping that Giles and Anya would kiss within the confines of this episode. The aftermath was quite funny too. :)

- Random thought but by way of happy coincidence ITV are showing King Ralph today.

- I loved that ending; it was so unbelievably sad. I even feel a little bad for Willow as well.

- Buffy and Spike! Buffy and Spike!

- To conclude, this episode was really good and honestly one of my favourites so far – there was just so much to love. Aside from what I've mentioned already, I can't see Buffy and Spike's relationship ending well. I wouldn't say she leads him on because part of me feels like that's too strong a word. Rather, she just seems to be very inconsistent with whether she wants him or not. I'm not saying that's unjustified – considering that she's been to Heaven and back – and that Spike is entitled to her unconditional love but they're so on and off in a certain respect that he either deserves to have his feelings fully reciprocated or not at all. Then again it doesn't help that he just can't seem to take no for an answer. I'm also not sure how much mileage Tara has left since she hasn't had that many independent stories. I would like to see her stick around until next season though – or until Willow becomes properly dangerous – just to see them fight it out. Frankly, I think the most interesting thing to happen to her off the top of my head - exempting the battle - would be for Willow to intentionally kill her instead. Finally - and in keeping with the theme of the episode - if you could forget one episode of Buffy and Angel and watch it again for the first time what would it be? Of the ones I've seen so far I think I'd have to go with Becoming Part Two myself. :cool: :cool: :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Not yet rewatched Tabula Rasa, but do really like it, one of the funniest eps of this season I'd say. Especially that shot of Giles fighting a skeleton while Anya creates bunny upon Bunny... :D

As for Angel, have just seen the Quickening, thought it was pretty good. Most of it not hugely outstanding, or expectable, but still quite an entertaining ep, and am really liking what I've seen of Angel season 3 so far...

I'm also not sure how much mileage Tara has left since she hasn't had that many independent stories. I would like to see her stick around until next season though – or until Willow becomes properly dangerous – just to see them fight it out. Frankly, I think the most interesting thing to happen to her off the top of my head - exempting the battle - would be for Willow to intentionally kill her instead. Finally - and in keeping with the theme of the episode - if you could forget one episode of Buffy and Angel and watch it again for the first time what would it be? Of the ones I've seen so far I think I'd have to go with Becoming Part Two myself. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I think Tara actually grows quite a bit in the rest of this season, now she's split with Willow... She and Buffy grow a bit closer a couple of eps later on... About which episode I'd like to see fresh, gah, that's a toughie. Becoming's deffo a contender, but I'd probably actually have to go with Passion, as that was a real shocker on the first watch... I was never expecting that from funny, witty, almost feel good Buffy... Really though, I kinda wish I could watch it all fresh, without any internet to spoil things for me...
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tabula Rasa

- That was probably the most surreal opening to an episode yet. I'll be very, very disappointed if we don't see the shark gangster again.

- Although I can understand Willow's feeling guilty about what she did, I have next to no sympathy for her it has to be said.

- Since Willow is going to go without magic for a week, I wonder if Tara might die this episode?

- It seems the theme of this episode is identity, dependency and people wanting things back the way they were.

- Willow! Tsk! I'm actually really 'angry' about that.

- Spike looks like the Eleventh Doctor. All he needs now is a mop and a fez.

- I figured that's what the plot of the episode would be when I first found out the title. And what's the betting that Willow's going to become slightly ostracized from the group at the end?

- There were so many brilliant lines and moments in the scene where the Scoobies first lost their memory. I think if I had to pick just the one though it would be Spike believing his name is Randy. I also really liked Giles believing he's a parent and deeply in love with and engaged to Anya.

- I also wonder if this episode will be a chamber piece, and if Buffy calling herself Joan is a reference to Joan of Arc?

- There's an awful lot of spells for summoning bunnies.

- The Angel reference made me laugh.

- I bet there's so much fan-fiction where Giles and Spike are father and son.

- I was sort of hoping that Giles and Anya would kiss within the confines of this episode. The aftermath was quite funny too. :)

- Random thought but by way of happy coincidence ITV are showing King Ralph today.

- I loved that ending; it was so unbelievably sad. I even feel a little bad for Willow as well.

- Buffy and Spike! Buffy and Spike!

- To conclude, this episode was really good and honestly one of my favourites so far – there was just so much to love. Aside from what I've mentioned already, I can't see Buffy and Spike's relationship ending well. I wouldn't say she leads him on because part of me feels like that's too strong a word. Rather, she just seems to be very inconsistent with whether she wants him or not. I'm not saying that's unjustified – considering that she's been to Heaven and back – and that Spike is entitled to her unconditional love but they're so on and off in a certain respect that he either deserves to have his feelings fully reciprocated or not at all. Then again it doesn't help that he just can't seem to take no for an answer. I'm also not sure how much mileage Tara has left since she hasn't had that many independent stories. I would like to see her stick around until next season though – or until Willow becomes properly dangerous – just to see them fight it out. Frankly, I think the most interesting thing to happen to her off the top of my head - exempting the battle - would be for Willow to intentionally kill her instead. Finally - and in keeping with the theme of the episode - if you could forget one episode of Buffy and Angel and watch it again for the first time what would it be? Of the ones I've seen so far I think I'd have to go with Becoming Part Two myself. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Without a doubt, The Gift. I remember sitting watching if for the first time and my jaw just dropped when Buffy dived off that tower, in the kind of way it does when you see something on a show that you totally wasn't expecting, like this ---->:o.

Tabula Rasa is a fab episode, but Smashed, which is the next ep, is one of my very favourites, and if I pull an ep out to watch at random, out of sequence ( I don't like watching them out of order:p) nine times out of ten, it's this one:blush:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, the Joan thing. Okay, you remember the girl who was Chantarelle, then she showed up again in 'Anne' as Lily Houston and then she decided to be Anne (and then gave herself a surname when she turned up in Angel.) ?

Her original name was Joan Appleby. So, she ended up naming herself after Buffy, and then Buffy (totally by accident) named herself after her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tabula Rasa is one of the best S6 eps. I like the call back to 'Dopplegangerland' with Willow's 'and I think I'm kinda gay' line.

And I hope you saw the uncut version, so you got to hear in full how Spike convinces himself that he is English.