Options

Kate Bush - Before The Dawn

Comments

• Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    how on earth can you consider it brave for the promoter? you have one of the most well known and biggest selling artists in history who hasn't toured in 35 years and they want to play live. that's going to sell tickets, and it did
    the promoter doesn't need to put on another tour, they are seperate from the artist, who in this case may not want to play any more live shows, considering they've done no tours in 35 years

Beacuse for somebody not touring for 35 how coud the prmoter possibly know what kind of fan base Kate Had that still wanted to buy live tickets.?

Is she one of the biggest selling aritists in history? I would consider other arists to be bigger selling.

Anyhow if people were disatissfied they would be clamouring for refunds,and fill the D/S boards up with angry demands, the fact none of this has happened shows people are happy with Kates Shows,save for a few such as yourself.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    BZZZT! Resorting to the 'snob' word is a form of Godwin's Law. Basically, you've lost the argument.

And George Michael still is/was more popular and more successful in every conceivable way than Kate bush will ever be ;-)
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    And George Michael still is/was more popular and more successful in every conceivable way than Kate bush will ever be ;-)

Doesn't mean he's any more talented, creative, and unique.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i heard last night she was more relaxed and it was a better show than the first night. opening show nerves have obviously passed. i haven't listened to anything from last night yet, but the setlist was the same

She certainly looked like she was enjoying it. And the concert flowed beautifully.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BRIT_Awards_ceremonies

george has an award for outstanding contribution to music. there are a lot of people who do consider him a major musical influence

of course his music is very different to kate, but he wrote some great hit singles as a young age, and instead of starting a solo career he put together a "band" and became popular, then going solo. if you have a look at the credits on his records you will see not only his writing credits but he plays a lot of the instruments on the record. whereas if you look at the wham credits, andrew and pepsi and shirley are noticeably absent, as they were there for the image. so very different to kate, but a tremendous marketing plan. just like kates

he was also one of the first people to have a very public dispute with his record company over the control of his work, and that influenced a number of artists, although as this is more a behind the scenes aspect of the musical business it's not so well known to the general public

however you seem to be missing the point being made in that other artists have done tours where they avoided hits, but they made it clear in advance that was the case. so for example prince did a hits tour in 93 and followed it by touring an unreleased album and not playing the hits, but all the publicity made people aware of this

kate hadn't toured in 35 years but gave no indication that the hits wouldn't be played
    Has George ever played Young Guns or Wham Rap at his concerts? Because that is the equivalent of what we're talking about here (not the equivalent in quality obviously .. but the equivalent of songs written and sung when young.) I believe he too wanted to move on from that particular image and as far as I know has never revisited.

I'll say it again, anyone who has been into Kate and followed her career already knows that she is not fond of those early songs .. some of which she wrote when she was thirteen. They are sung in a very high register too so doubtless would be nigh on impossible to replicate. The sort of people that are moaning about their omission would also be the sort of people that would moan if she didn't do a faithful rendition. I expect they'd want cartwheels as well. Why not just go and see a tribute act?

It's so annoying for the millions that couldn't get tickets to hear people whinging because of some pre-conceived idea about what songs Kate should sing. You may have noticed that the majority are ecstatic .. they got what they expected .. which was the unexpected and they are treasuring it all the more for that. Have you not heard critics and fans alike say the experience was like nothing they've seen before??

I have some of George's records but to compare him with Kate is like comparing night with day. She is a true innovator.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    The band is very tight, her voice beautiful (I know it sounds like I'm just saying that because I'm a fan but honestly it was perfect) great visuals and some nice surprises. Sea of Honey isn't one of my faves but Nocturne and Sunset are real diamonds for me and when she walks on stage there's a real WTF moment, there's Kate Bush!!! :D

After 3 hours I still wanted more. The reaction was electric. I'm jealous of you that you still have the anticipation of what it's going to be like. :D
    I'm jealous of you both :D I love Nocturn and Somewhere in Between .. did she play the latter? Also Aerial. It must have been unbelievable to see her there .. something to put in your memory box anyway .. bring out on a rainy day.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see she has David Rhodes on guitar...a man well versed in theatrical performances ;-)
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    She certainly looked like she was enjoying it. And the concert flowed beautifully.

SPOILER - SPOILER - SPOILER

Anyone wanting to know nothing about the shows and their content, stop reading here.

Before The Dawn 29th August

Venue and hotel - We stayed at the superb Novotel, in one of their executive rooms. Novotel is literally 5 minutes walk from the Apollo. While quite pricey, it is an excellent hotel, and concert goers can rely on good quality nosh from the bar area, and very comfortable memory foam mattress beds. Moving down to the venue, we found the Apollo to be well organized, and our tickets/ ID were checked three times. Inside, programs were £15 each, but are superbly put together. There was also the usual merchandising stand. Seats were comfortable, with enough leg room, and a decent view from the stalls. One thing we did not like was the incredible rip-off which cost us £5 for two small bottles of still water! Shame on Eventim for such exploitation.

The Crowd - A random selection of overwhelmingly good natured, respectful people, many old enough to know KB's work from the 70's, but also lots of younger people. While there were the usual ignorant types who fiddled with their pones, we saw no one trying to take pictures or movies during the show. Indeed, Eventim security were patrolling throughout to discourage such activity. There was a small problem created by those who were too stupid to realize if they drank lots of alcohol they would need to use the facilities during the show. This result in people wandering up and down the aisles, and rows having to stand up to allow them back to their seats.

The Show - Pre show, we saw a beautifully lit stage. The first set was a standard rock show, in which a bare foot Kate performed -

Lilly
    Hounds of Love
    Joanii
    Top of the City
    King of the Mountain
    Running Up That Hill

Kate was in excellent voice, and the band superb, especially the drummer who was magnificent. After these songs, everything changed, and we were treated to a performance of -

The Ninth Wave

We'd both been to many gigs, and can honestly say that the staging, effects, and theatrical elements were the best we've ever seen. Among the many elements were; the sea recreated as billowing waves of blue silk, a search and rescue craft belching dry ice and deploying searchlight beams that buzzed the crowd, fish people, confetti cannons firing poetry, lasers, and video footage of Kate floating in water. It was incredible.

At end end of this there was an intermission of 20 minutes. Just enough time to use the toilets and get a drink. Very hot outside in the area outside of the seating, but nicely air-conditioned within.

Kate and the band returned to perform -

Aerial (side two)

Prelude
    Prologue
    An Architect's Dream
    The Painter's Link
    Sunset
    Aerial Tal
    Somewhere In Between
    Nocturn

Tawny Moon

Aerial

This was just as fantastic as The Ninth Wave, packed with more innovative effects and theatricals, including giant doors, snow storms, more lasers, birds in flight thirty foot high, and a child mannequin that appears to come to life!

* Bertie substituted for Rolf (thankfully) working on a giant video painting of clouds that changed as he waved his brush. Bertie was also the surprise of the night performing solo. The song,which we believe is called Tawny Moon, sounds like something from the Aerial period, but may well be entirely new material. We were expecting him to be capable, but for someone who is still only 16, we were genuinely impressed at just how good his voice already is, and what a great song he sang.

At the conclusion of Aerial, Kate flew, briefly, then left the stage, returning for the -

Encore -

Among Angels (performed solo at the piano)
    Cloudbusting (full band)

Throughout, Kate seemed relaxed, happy and in superb voice. The show was everything we hoped it might be, and more. If this is the new beginning, then the future looks very bright.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    I'm jealous of you both :D I love Nocturn and Somewhere in Between .. did she play the latter? Also Aerial. It must have been unbelievable to see her there .. something to put in your memory box anyway .. bring out on a rainy day.

I've spoilered it just in case I'm giving too much away. The set list was:

Lily - I love this song and I loved seeing Kate stride on with confidence. I was pinching myself. :D

Hounds of Love - Amazing, utterly brilliant
    Joani, Running up that Hill, King of the Mountain, Top of the City, Same. TOTC isn't a fave of mine but live it had a lot more oomph to it!

Ninth Wave: I absolutely adored this. It exceeded all my expectations. The vocals, visuals, theatrical touches. I was actually a bit teary in places. Morning Fog had a celtic string arrangement.

After the interval she played Sea of Honey in full. Its not my favourite piece of work. I find the first few songs meander a little but it really gets going once Sunset goes all flamenco. Bertie does a song called Tawny Moon. He has a strong voice but I don't remember much of it and would say that was probably a weak point of the concert.

Aerial built to a glorious crescendo. Then an encore of Amongst Angels and Cloudbusting.

In the tour programme she writes about wanting to create a full theatrical/musical experience and that they have been working on this since March 2013. She very clearly hasn't just tossed this off to make a few quid. I really want to see it again and I hope that this inspires Kate to do another residency where we get some of her other songs.

It's definitely something I will always remember. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds brilliant :) What an amazing experience. How long I wonder before Bertie's bringing out albums of his own?
    I am hoping that we might get a DVD or a cinema showing .. it wouldn't be the same but it would be something. It's unlikely but still .. something to wish for :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen your post Nathan. :D
    It was the dogs bollocks wasn't it! We were in the Novotel too. Can't believe how close we actually were to the venue. Did you see the Under the Ivy bloke. Very impressive. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds brilliant :) What an amazing experience. How long I wonder before Bertie's bringing out albums of his own?
    I am hoping that we might get a DVD or a cinema showing .. it wouldn't be the same but it would be something. It's unlikely but still .. something to wish for :D

I think there will be a DVD. It's a theatrical piece of work and she's been working on it for 18 months so I would be surprised if there isn't.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Just seen your post Nathan. :D
    It was the dogs bollocks wasn't it! We were in the Novotel too. Can't believe how close we actually were to the venue. Did you see the Under the Ivy bloke. Very impressive. :D

Yes, we saw him. Good effort. Also saw a 7ft tall bloke coming out of the toilets. We felt that we really got our money's worth from the show. Would have preferred. Never Be Mine to Top of the City, but thought the reworked version of the latter was more powerful and very well performed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've spoilered it just in case I'm giving too much away. The set list was:

Lily - I love this song and I loved seeing Kate stride on with confidence. I was pinching myself. :D

Hounds of Love - Amazing, utterly brilliant
    Joani, Running up that Hill, King of the Mountain, Top of the City, Same. TOTC isn't a fave of mine but live it had a lot more oomph to it!

Ninth Wave: I absolutely adored this. It exceeded all my expectations. The vocals, visuals, theatrical touches. I was actually a bit teary in places. Morning Fog had a celtic string arrangement.

After the interval she played Sea of Honey in full. Its not my favourite piece of work. I find the first few songs meander a little but it really gets going once Sunset goes all flamenco. Bertie does a song called Tawny Moon. He has a strong voice but I don't remember much of it and would say that was probably a weak point of the concert.

Aerial built to a glorious crescendo. Then an encore of Amongst Angels and Cloudbusting.

In the tour programme she writes about wanting to create a full theatrical/musical experience and that they have been working on this since March 2013. She very clearly hasn't just tossed this off to make a few quid. I really want to see it again and I hope that this inspires Kate to do another residency where we get some of her other songs.

It's definitely something I will always remember. :D
    I doubt you'd see the Ninth Wave done again so lucky, lucky you to have witnessed it this time .. that is just sublime and everyone talks about the visuals being stunning. Good to know that Kate's voice is in good shape too .. bless her she does like to include Bertie as much as possible but then .. she probably wouldn't have done it at all without his encouragement (go Bertie!! .. encourage her some more :D )

God I wish I'd gone for those more expensive tickets now .. they looked as if they might be still available .. though they might not have been. Husband had just been made redundant though so :( he has another job now so it would have been okay probably. We're both gutted!

I'm very happy for her that it's been (mostly) met with a rapturous response .. must give her confidence going forward. I was so nervous for her on that opening night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there will be a DVD. It's a theatrical piece of work and she's been working on it for 18 months so I would be surprised if there isn't.
    Did you see any official bods filming? I guess though she might want to wait until halfway through the run .. so any problems would be ironed out.
    I'm doubtful though because of the Hammersmith Odeon concert .. I think you can only get bootleg copies on DVD .. mine is on video and I have nothing to play it on. I just stare at it and remember :D I also have a greatest hits video and then another just featuring the hits from The Hounds of Love .. none of them play now.

Bertie needs to take over the reins as far as financial interests are concerned and start releasing all that stuff on DVD :D Think of your inheritance Bertie!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we saw him. Good effort. Also saw a 7ft tall bloke coming out of the toilets. We felt that we really got our money's worth from the show. Would have preferred. Never Be Mine to Top of the City, but thought the reworked version of the latter was more powerful and very well performed.

Oh same but you can't have everything and who would have thought that you could say when you look back at 2014 that we saw Kate Bush live! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt you'd see the Ninth Wave done again so lucky, lucky you to have witnessed it this time .. that is just sublime and everyone talks about the visuals being stunning. Good to know that Kate's voice is in good shape too .. bless her she does like to include Bertie as much as possible but then .. she probably wouldn't have done it at all without his encouragement (go Bertie!! .. encourage her some more :D )

God I wish I'd gone for those more expensive tickets now .. they looked as if they might be still available .. though they might not have been. Husband had just been made redundant though so :( he has another job now so it would have been okay probably. We're both gutted!

I'm very happy for her that it's been (mostly) met with a rapturous response .. must give her confidence going forward. I was so nervous for her on that opening night.

It's pretty clear that Bertie has been the impetus for Kate to do this and for that I am very grateful to him! He has a fantastic voice and it will be interesting to see how he develops if he has a career in music. I was browsing the homeground forum and apparently tickets are still coming up sporadically on the eventim website. I hope you get a chance to go. I've had a difficult couple of years personally and this has been such a lift for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh same but you can't have everything and who would have thought that you could say when you look back at 2014 that we saw Kate Bush live! :D
    I can't say that >:( :D (not at the seething stage now .. just quietly simmering :D )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see any official bods filming? I guess though she might want to wait until halfway through the run .. so any problems would be ironed out.
    I'm doubtful though because of the Hammersmith Odeon concert .. I think you can only get bootleg copies on DVD .. mine is on video and I have nothing to play it on. I just stare at it and remember :D I also have a greatest hits video and then another just featuring the hits from The Hounds of Love .. none of them play now.

Bertie needs to take over the reins as far as financial interests are concerned and start releasing all that stuff on DVD :D Think of your inheritance Bertie!!

No, I didn't see anyone filming. I wonder if they will film the final date?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say that >:( :D (not at the seething stage now .. just quietly simmering :D )

Sorry! I'm so happy but don't mean to sound smug! I do hope this gives Kate the taste to get out there and do some more. It would be great if everyone could get a chance to see her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry! I'm so happy but don't mean to sound smug! I do hope this gives Kate the taste to get out there and do some more. It would be great if everyone could get a chance to see her.
    Not at all .. we'd all be there if we could and I'd certainly sing it from the rooftops if I'd got lucky. It may well encourage her to get out more :D or it might put her off like the last time :(:D

Obviously a larger venue would have helped but she could never put on that sort of a show at somewhere like Wembley .. it just wouldn't be the same.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Beacuse for somebody not touring for 35 how coud the prmoter possibly know what kind of fan base Kate Had that still wanted to buy live tickets.?

Is she one of the biggest selling aritists in history? I would consider other arists to be bigger selling.

Anyhow if people were disatissfied they would be clamouring for refunds,and fill the D/S boards up with angry demands, the fact none of this has happened shows people are happy with Kates Shows,save for a few such as yourself.

she sold out 80000 tickets in 15 minutes, not a risk in the slgitest
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    But as I posted earlier some people just don't pay attention. At the risk of repeating myself, Springsteen's Devils And Dust tour was clearly billed as 'a solo acoustic show', yet people were bitching and saying he should have bought the band. Same thing happened with the Seeger Sessions, all the publicity material said "Bruce Springsteen with The Seeger Sessions Band", but again I heard punters moaning as to why the E Street Band weren't involved.

but what does this have to do with the topic?

this tour being discussed had no info to anyone as to what would be played. so what bruce, ken, bob or jimmy did or didn't do is irrelevant. if they gave a warning and people didn't read, understand or whatever, it has nothing to do with this tour. if there was word of what this tour would include and exclude in advance of ticket sales and people didn't read, understand or follow, then that's a different matter. but that didn't happen in this case
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    22 dates sold out....maybe she didn't need you after all then ;-)

22 dates in a small venue after not playing in 35 years? imagine what the promoter could have done if she was to play more well known material in a bigger venue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    Is she varying the set list at all, or is it exactly the same from night to night?

first 3 shows have been exactly the same setlist. not sure about tonight as yet. i'll update in the morning