Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    It hasnt faced Doctor Who for the last 45minutes. Yet overall the Discussion thread has just 33 pages as of 9pm. At the same time last year, it had 53 pages - far higher. Not a good sign considering it's the return of Cowell and Tweedy.

Perhaps people are actually watching it rather than tweeting this year!

Samuel, do us a favour buddy, tone down your XF in crisis type posts. You might look really dopey in the morning if it performs better than you are hoping.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    i think len is too busy doing his shopping in a certain freezer supermarket. it's a 10 from len. :o
    :o:D
    Dancc wrote: »
    The same Sunday it launches every year IIRC.

I remember because it falls in the same week as my birthday.
    The first night of Fresher's Week too, I missed it last year and regretted it terribly :o:D
    Very little buzz on Ds for The X Factor tonight. Last year following 20minutes, the XFactor discussion thread had 23 pages of posts. Tonight after 20mins, XF has only managed 10pages of discussion.

It's blown up on my twitter feed like nothing I've ever seen before! Or at least not since #BinGate ;-)

Agree with the praise for Doctor Who, although I enjoyed it muchly last week also so that won't mean anything in terms of ratings :( Hopefully it picks up, it deserves too, far better than the last couple of series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This kind of stuff doesn't surprise me the Xfacot is completely fake, and am just sad people still can't see this.

Even the people who do see it are often found saying they'll tune in anyway, there is no hope for our proud country :(:p
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »

Samuel, do us a favour buddy, tone down your XF in crisis type posts. You might look really dopey in the morning if it performs better than you are hoping.

*cough* Tumble *cough* :)
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This kind of stuff doesn't surprise me the Xfacot is completely fake, and am just sad people still can't see this.

Exactly the same thing happened on The Voice, and you loved every minute of that show unsurprisingly.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Factor post - scroll past if not interested

I'm quite enjoying the show tonight, it's quite back-to-basics and has the right amount of nonsense and interesting people. I suspect, quite deliberately, the best is yet to come in terms of the judges and the talent. The new panel is working well, feeling both classic and all-new. Too many ads but that's not the programme's fault, and that awful music isn't there going into each break which is brilliant. :D
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People on DS Forums are saying it is a "flat episode" with little interaction between the judges.Also very few contestants have been shown properly, with the show mainly containing montages, filler and ads so far.

Well the last 15 minutes or so have seen plenty of interaction between the judges. I'm enjoying it. Primarily it is about entertainment, so the claims about acts already having management is irrelevant. Quite a few acts have also been featured in detail so far as well.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Exactly the same thing happened on The Voice, and you loved every minute of that show unsurprisingly.

Exactly - The X Factor and The Voice (plus Rising Star, I'm sure) are as manipulated and staged as each other. As is Bake Off in terms of how it's edited to create distinct characters and Strictly with how they've twisted training packages in the past and with the judges comments to swing the public one way or another. Britain's Got Talent, I'm a Celebrity... and Big Brother are the same. It's about pushing forward the right balance of intrigue, drama and entertainment.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The target for The X factor tonight is for it to be lowest rating programme all night on ITV, but win the slot with an average share. That seems to be the benchmark for a talent show to be seen as a hit these days. :D

Samuel dictating the content of the thread again, with nonsense social media. I assume he will be jumping on negative tweets and forum posts during the launch show of Strictly?
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Again, another "famous" contestant. Chloe Jasmine the "Posh girl" has already appeared on The Face and has a modelling contract. I wouldnt mind so much if it was at least acknowledged
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Again, another "famous" contestant. Chloe Jasmine the "Posh girl" has already appeared on The Face and has a modelling contract. I wouldnt mind so much if it was at least acknowledged

Why should it be? It's not at all relevant.
  • Options
    TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samuels been looking in the soaps forum again has he
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did you think about them putting through a female version of Jedward? A couple of people who couldnt sing but with outlandish personalities.

Maybe something that wouldn't have happened last year? I don't know for sure.

But its been a fact that acts bordering on cr@p have been good for ratings, and ratings are the prime directive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I personally would be unsurprised if Simon Cowell was secretly delighted if the improvement in X Factor's ratings to come in the morning isn't too extreme - after all, if they get say over 11m how are they supposed to promote it enough to get up there again next year and avoid bad comparisons? Cheryl can't get 'married' every year :D
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    The target for The X factor tonight is for it to be lowest rating programme all night on ITV, but win the slot with an average share. That seems to be the benchmark for a talent show to be seen as a hit these days. :D

Samuel dictating the content of the thread again, with nonsense social media. I assume he will be jumping on negative tweets and forum posts during the launch show of Strictly?

Mark my words, the X factor will get no more than 10 million tonight!
  • Options
    Forum Member

What on earth is 'The Face'? I'm supposed to be a TV nerd and haven't heard of that, she can hardly be 'famous' for appearing on that :p:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Here is a list of all X Factor series premiere official ratings.

Gen 1
    * Hosted by Kate Thornton, original judges: Simon, Sharon, Louis
    Series 1 (2004) - 5.25m
    Series 2 (2005) - 6.72m [+1.47m]
    Series 3 (2006) - 7.45m [+0.73m)

Gen 2
    * Dermot O'Leary joins as new host, Dannii Minogue joins panel
    Series 4 (2007) - 9.78m [+2.33m]

Gen 3
    * Cheryl Cole replaces Sharon Osborne
    Series 5 (2008) - 10.78m [+1.00m]
    Series 6 (2009) - 11.00m {+0.22m]
    Series 7 (2010) - 11.88m [+0.88m]

Gen 4
    * Simon, Cheryl, Dannii leave panel; Gary Barlow, Tulisa and Kelly Rowland join panel
    Series 8 (2011) - 11.05m [-0.83m]

Gen 5
    * Nicole Scherzinger replaces Kelly Rowland
    Series 9 (2012) - 8.08m [-2.97m]

Gen 6
    * Sharon Osbourne returns, replaces Tulisa
    Series 10 (2013) - 8.69m [+0.60m]

Gen 7
    * Simon, Cheryl return to panel; Mel B replaces Sharon Osbourne
    Series 11 (2014) - ???

Arguably this year's panel is as good as, if not better than, that 3-series "golden era" between 2008-2010 where it was Simon, Cheryl, Dannii and Louis. Mel B is as good as, if not better than Dannii and then the Cowell and Cole factors are positive signs.

Quite a lot of viewers gave the show a chance after Simon, Cheryl and Dannii left - but it fell apart and nearly THREE MILLION gave up after that year. With two of the most popular of that departed trio back this year, media interest and a strong new judge in Mel B, it could just be enough to claw back viewers (last year Mrs O being back did help the series average to rise for the first series in 3.)

If it can launch at over the 9 million mark, it can hope to grow and break the 10m mark through word of mouth/positive media reception. It really is the show's last chance and somehow I can't see things being level, they'll either be comfortably up, or embarrassingly down.

It has a lot in its favour this time round, Bruce not being on Strictly being one of them. But Simon Cowell being back will undoubtedly have an effect - be that in renewed viewer interest, or production influences (he clearly has a say about these shows when involved in them, is pretty switched on, and you also can expect well-orchestrated stunts to help this series along - he is the master of these, for better or worse). Cowell's return to Britain's Got Talent did somewhat fix it from a lull, after all.

I think it stands a good chance of a revival this year, but it could go either way.

Posted the other day for relevance(?) now.

Basically if it can match or beat last year's 8.69m it would be a great start, since last year was 0.6m up on the year before and reversed the show's downward launch trajectory.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Well I'm enjoying it!

Me too. Glad they brought back the closed room auditions.
    Panel's good too.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Why should it be? It's not at all relevant.

Because it's billed as an open audition where the "ordinary man" can become a star yet here in 1 episode we have 3 contestants who probably have had arranged auditions yet they're being shown as just ordinary joes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's billed as an open audition where the "ordinary man" can become a star yet here in 1 episode we have 3 contestants who probably have had arranged auditions yet they're being shown as just ordinary joes.
    Everyone knows nowadays after 10 years the televised first auditions aren't the first that people get to; and indeed the show itself doesn't suggest that anymore, not like it used to anyway.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Mark my words, the X factor will get no more than 10 million tonight!

Are you Samuel? "Mark my words" is only generally used by Samuel on here!
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Um no it never. At lest on the Voice their open about it, the Xfactor isn't and if you could take your ass out of itv ass for a second you would see this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    Me too. Glad they brought back the closed room auditions.
    I swear they did that last year? Or is that this year's original and oh so creative 'brainwave' new idea ;-)
    Nobody seriously believes it's an open audition, right?? As with all these things, they have to go through multiple rounds of producer auditions to whittle them down before wasting Cheryl Cole's precious time on only the extremely good and the extremely bad. Do you really think a man of Simon Cowell's power is going to sit through the million-plus auditionees they get initially every year? :o:D
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    Are you Samuel? "Mark my words" is only generally used by Samuel on here!

Busted! I am Samuel!

;)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it must be of some concern to Samuel, either suggesting an unattainable rating so it looks low in reality or suggesting a down beat response and hoping the rating will follow that. Realistically XF has to go well tonight, it has to beat last year with the much heralded return of Cowell and Cole-and I think it will. The weather hasn't forced millions outside today either.

Having said all that, football aside, ITV has had a murderously bad three months or so and this is just one slot at the end of it. Even Samuel can allow them that surely ;-)
This discussion has been closed.