Options

Do you find this offensive?

shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
Forum Member
✭✭
It's a video of Snoop Dogg 'whiting up' and pretending to be a white guy.

As a white guy I don't find it offensive or racist at all. I don't find it particularly funny either, but not because he's pretending to be a white guy,.

I've seen some people say that if it were a white guy 'blacking up' and doing the same thing it would be considered offensive and racist, but then you have to consider the cultural baggage and so perhaps it can't be considered to be exactly the same thing.

What do you think? Here's the video (it contains some swearing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HTeX4AhFaA

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    What do I think?

I think he's a ******** and his "music" is shit.

I'm not offended by the whiting up though.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Snoop.

Sanity left that building a long time ago. :D:D
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, wtf?

Not offended, just wondering what on earth that was all about.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but like you said if it was the other way round it would be racist,
    My son is very heavily in to politics and he said that at some event he was attending a black woman said black people can't be racist. As they are a minority.

She also went on to say that without power you can't be racist and as black people don't have power they can't be racist., what a load of balls.
    Yes im aware people will say I'm making this up and I wish I was.

I will have a look to see if I can find proof.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am annoyed that from the comments underneath the video it appears he is allowed to "white up" because as he is white he isn't persecuted everyday.

Hmmm and all the black people can make all they "white boy" comments.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    It's a video of Snoop Dogg 'whiting up' and pretending to be a white guy.

As a white guy I don't find it offensive or racist at all. I don't find it particularly funny either, but not because he's pretending to be a white guy,.

I've seen some people say that if it were a white guy 'blacking up' and doing the same thing it would be considered offensive and racist, but then you have to consider the cultural baggage and so perhaps it can't be considered to be exactly the same thing.

What do you think? Here's the video (it contains some swearing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HTeX4AhFaA

My outrage meter is firmly stuck at zero on this one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but like you said if it was the other way round it would be racist,
    My son is very heavily in to politics and he said that at some event he was attending a black woman said black people can't be racist. As they are a minority.

Oh dear!
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, why would it be offensive?
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I am annoyed that from the comments underneath the video it appears he is allowed to "white up" because as he is white he isn't persecuted everyday.

Hmmm and all the black people can make all they "white boy" comments.

There is a reason why "blacking up" could be seen as offensive, there is no reason why "whiting up" could be seen as offensive.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »

"Consider the cultural baggage"? WT proverbial F does that mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    found this not the same woman but still spouting the same crap
    At least the bloke in this article talks sense

[url] http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/can-black-people-be-racist[/url]
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    No, I quite like snoop dog he makes me laugh. His make up isn't very good though.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    What do I think?

I think he's a ******** and his "music" is shit.

I'm not offended by the whiting up though.

Pretty much this. Of all the people they could get for doing the moneysupermarket advert (IIRC), they had to pick him, a convicted felon. FFS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoop_Dogg#Legal_incidents
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. this is why drugs are bad.

2. is Snoop aspiring to go drag???
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »

There is a reason why "blacking up" could be seen as offensive, there is no reason why "whiting up" could be seen as offensive.

Why the hell not if I put black make up on why is that offensive and it's not for a black man to pretend to be a white man??

It's all about colour.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    i think i wanna smoke up with him
  • Options
    Forum Member

Would you care to share these reasons with the rest of us?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seanf wrote: »

She also went on to say that without power you can't be racist and as black people don't have power they can't be racist., what a load of balls.
    Yes im aware people will say I'm making this up and I wish I was.

I will have a look to see if I can find proof.

You despair at the human race sometimes.

Logic isn't some people's strong point obviously.

So, if there are 49,999 black people in a population of 100,000 in total, it's OK to be racist, but when that total reaches 50,001 then it's not.

The capacity of some people to talk total bollocks and bullshit knows no bounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Why the hell not if I put black make up on why is that offensive and it's not for a black man to pretend to be a white man??

It's all about colour.

Because back when the western world was very openly racist, white actors would wear black make up in theatre. The content and tone of such productions was, shall we say, derogatory. *

*I'm not saying all such productions were racist or derogatory in tone, I don't know. But that is why blacking up may be considered racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You being serious?

What difference does it make?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally no, I don't find it offensive.

I do find his 'music' offensive to my ears though. It's utter shite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    You being serious?

What difference does it make?

Yes I am, and I was just highlighting why a black person whiting up cannot be compared to the reverse, in response to a specific statement. One has a history of racism behind it and the other does not.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    "Consider the cultural baggage"? WT proverbial F does that mean?

Maybe it wasn't the right phrase. What I was trying to refer to was the whole history of black people being dehumanised and caricatured by whites. It seems to me that 'blacking up' is more of a sensitive issue than what Snoop Dogg is doing in the video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I am, and I was just highlighting why a black person whiting up cannot be compared to the reverse, in response to a specific statement. One has a history of racism behind it and the other does not.

What a load of old cobblers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    What a load of old cobblers.

Why is that a load of old cobblers?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

That is a thing that used to happen and is considered at worst racist and at best provocative.