Options

Bank Account Interest

StevenukStevenuk Posts: 666
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi
just a quick question

If the Interest is 3.00% AER variable / 2.96% gross and i have £3000 in a bank account how much interest would be paid in every month?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be £90 over the year (3% of £3000) so £7.50 a month. This would vary a bit depending on whether interest is calculated daily or monthly and it would rise slightly over time as you'd be earning interest on the interest assuming you didn't withdraw the interest.

You then have to take tax into account. Banks will typically take 20% off unless you have declared you are a non-taxpayer or it is held in an ISA. If you are a higher rate tax payer then you will owe the extra tax in your tax return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It would be £90 over the year (3% of £3000) so £7.50 a month. This would vary a bit depending on whether interest is calculated daily or monthly and it would rise slightly over time as you'd be earning interest on the interest assuming you didn't withdraw the interest.

You then have to take tax into account. Banks will typically take 20% off unless you have declared you are a non-taxpayer or it is held in an ISA. If you are a higher rate tax payer then you will owe the extra tax in your tax return.

Thanks but this is for a current bank account so its only paid up to £3000 So just want to see what they would pay in every month as interest.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stevenuk wrote: »
    Thanks but this is for a current bank account so its only paid up to £3000 So just want to see what they would pay in every month as interest.

£3000 x 3% = £90 a year
    £90 / 12 = £7.50 a month pre tax
    £7.50 minus 20% so around £6 a month but it would vary by a few pence each month due to the way the calculation is done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    £3000 x 3% = £90 a year
    £90 / 12 = £7.50 a month pre tax
    £7.50 minus 20% so around £6 a month but it would vary by a few pence each month due to the way the calculation is done.

That sounds good then so may open that account then but also keep the one i have to as that gives £5 a month
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you keep a lot of cash hanging around in your current account? Mine is usually mostly empty by half way through the month when all the direct debits have gone through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Do you keep a lot of cash hanging around in your current account? Mine is usually mostly empty by half way through the month when all the direct debits have gone through.

i was just thinking of taking £3ooo out of my savings account which is rubbish interest rate as they all are now and then that £3000 would get 3% which is more then savings account.

I know you have to pay a certain amount to get the rates but im weekly paid so i just have 2 weeks paid into one account ( £5 a month interest ) then 2 weeks paid in other ( 3% account ) then just keep doing that.
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a TSB account which is similar but pays 5% up to £2000 but you can open two in your name and two joint accounts if you have a partner.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a Santander 321 account. I am looking to transfer to it as I can't see anywhere else that gives 3% on 3000 to 20,000. It seems ridiculous that I am better off putting my meager saving in a current account rather than a savings account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    Is this a Santander 321 account. I am looking to transfer to it as I can't see anywhere else that gives 3% on 3000 to 20,000. It seems ridiculous that I am better off putting my meager saving in a current account rather than a savings account.

No its a Tesco Current Account! just looks good as you get club card points as well.

The TSB Account wont stay 5% after a year it will drop. The Tesco one seems to stay at 3% until they decide to change it
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Santander account is great, especially if there are two of you and you have a fair amount of cash and 6 direct debits, as you can open three accounts between the two of you, one each and one joint account with two direct debits each account. Well worth it. Don't forget with all of these accounts, when you have reached the account maximum, £20000 in Santander you don't earn any interest on the amount over the account max.
    Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No its a Tesco Current Account! just looks good as you get club card points as well.

The TSB Account wont stay 5% after a year it will drop. The Tesco one seems to stay at 3% until they decide to change it

May I ask how you know the TSB account will drop? I only ask because the TSB employee I spoke to told me it should be around for a few years.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    May I ask how you know the TSB account will drop? I only ask because the TSB employee I spoke to told me it should be around for a few years.
    5% does sound too good to be true going by the current market. I would suspect it is more of an introductory offer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    5% does sound too good to be true going by the current market. I would suspect it is more of an introductory offer.

I've had a look around this morning at various sites such as money saving expert and none of them mention an introductory rate. I opened an account in branch and it wasn't mentioned then and I don't recall seeing it mentioned in any of the paperwork I have.

I think these offers exist because of the new ISA rules. ISA's used to be around the 5% mark but now you can put 15 grand in a year banks are understandably limiting the interest on them. They still need to attract customers however so are creating these high interest current accounts and putting limits on them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    You can also switch another bank account to Halifax and you get £100.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »

Nope, the TSB website makes it clear "this is not an introductory offer" and the 5% will be there "for the foreseeable future".
    http://www.tsb.co.uk/current-accounts/classic-plus-account/?WT.ac=A00013
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know if when it says for exsample "pay in £750 a month" to get the bonus does that mean i can jet transfer the money in from a different bank account and then transfer it back out again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know if when it says for exsample "pay in £750 a month" to get the bonus does that mean i can jet transfer the money in from a different bank account and then transfer it back out again?

That's exactly what I do with my TSB accounts except it is £500 with TSB. I have two TSB accounts and have standing orders set up on both to send £500 to the other on a same day each month.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'd need to read the T&C of the individual accounts. For example, I think Santander's 123 Account has a £500 pm requiremnt, but doesn't count transfers between accounts.

That's just from memory , though.
  • Options
    ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay a monthly account fee of £2.
    Fund the account with £500 a month (excludes internal transfers). A minimum balance of £1,000 is needed to receive interest.
    Set up at least 2 Direct Debits. You’ll get monthly cashback on selected household bills you pay by Direct Debit

Transfer from other banks is fine. true of all bank accounts.

you also get up to 3% on bills
  • Options
    ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    santander does 3% on £20k (min £3k) £24 a year fee

lloyds does 4% on £5k (min £4k) plus Choice of one Lifestyle Benefit from three options each year per account – dining offers with annual Gourmet Society membership, 6 Vue cinema tickets, or an annual magazine subscription from a selection of titles.

and tsb does 5% on £2k