Options

Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »

Can we remind the Viccy groupies, Poker champ or not, that she would be presenting sod all on the BBC if it wasn't for her famous Dad.

It is impossible to know, she had done quite a lot by the time she got on TV. Perhaps her family background helped her or inspired her to getting a good education etc but that can be said of many people.

I suspect lots of people end up in similar industries to their parent or a family member but it is only in TV, or the BBC in particular, that they are accused of nepotism. You often don't hear Michael Grade being accused of only getting where he is because of his name though it is obviously even more the case than with Victoria Coren, it is just taken for granted.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we remind the Viccy groupies, Poker champ or not, that she would be presenting sod all on the BBC if it wasn't for her famous Dad.
    Actually, I think having an arts degree from Oxbridge is a far faster ticket to a job at the BBC than having a famous Dad. Place is stuffed with 'em.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Got that. Wikipedia. :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooof, red herring!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a coincidence. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple!
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    If there're any BBC2 viewers watching this quiz for the first time, I'd imagine they'll have already given up in frustration...
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    golfers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    If there're any BBC2 viewers watching this quiz for the first time, I'd imagine they'll have already given up in frustration...
    ALL the people watching it are BBC2 viewers aren't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WWE wrestlers and Lanes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's a 'lane' group in there. And is that a 'drugs' reference? Horse, line...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    ALL the people watching it are BBC2 viewers aren't they?

Well yes. But most of us are forced converts...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tennessee Williams
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yes. But most of us are forced converts...
    We're just slumming it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, she's good at the missing vowels...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A slight easing of the difficulty of the connections in the first two rounds I thought..
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Congratulations to simonk01 and the Felinophiles.....24 is an extremely respectable score.
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    A slight easing of the difficulty of the connections in the first two rounds I thought..

Yeah, they've definitely dumbed it down now- I got 20 points.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the second round, I'm sure the quiz setters messed up the question.

You should be able to guess the missing 4th square in the connection, but it went...

Suriname .... Mexico...... Costa Rica. ..... .??

The connection is that the countries start with the last two letters of the previous answer.

So how on earth could you predict the last one started which a CA?

You needed clue three, so it was utterly impossible to get 5 or 3 points on this question.
  • Options
    SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Tennessee Williams

When that group came up I was nowhere near. I was actually desperately trying to think of Sex and the City.
  • Options
    FraxisFraxis Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »

You should be able to guess the missing 4th square in the connection, but it went...

The connection is that the countries start with the last two letters of the previous answer.

You needed clue three, so it was utterly impossible to get 5 or 3 points on this question.

I think you could have got it with two answers as Costa Rica is the only country that starts with CO so if you got the connection between Suriname and Mexico, you could get to Canada. I don't think you could get full marks with anything other than a lucky guess, but that's true with that round a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

True, one would need to be pretty good at geography to come up with countries beginning with CO in 30 seconds .

Colombia doesn't work, not sure if Congo is an actual country, so Costa Rica seems the only one.
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »
    Eight hours to go. Who's excited?
    Calm down dear, not really.
    I fear the questions are just as tricky but the contestants aren't up to the task..

I think perhaps Simon was a little more excited than the rest of us as it seems he was actually on the programme?

(and I think it's fair to say that he and his team were up to the task! :D )
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were the first two rounds slightly easier than usual? I managed to get several right and actually out-guessed the contestants on a couple. Perhaps they were easing the BBC2 newbie viewers in! ;-)
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought there was talk of having music in round 2?

That would be well nasty!

K