Options

What would you think of a vegan work colleague who..

Comments

• Options
    justagirl83justagirl83 Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Being vegan is more than just about diet, i don't believe that animals are there for us to use for our pleasure, whether that's for food or entertainment.
    Although, as other people have said, I don't think you have to be vegan to not like the idea of this anyway, I can well imagine that the ducks get scared by the dogs.
    Maybe it is the best idea to pull a sickie, it does feel like a bit of a cop out though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you feel that strong about it, then simply tell the boss the reason.

Seems like you are a bit embarrassed about being a vegan.

If it was me, I'd put my principal first, rather than take a sickie etc
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What The Cricketer said :)
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just talked to your boss and they told me your next team building activity is going to a froie gras factory
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......................Maybe it is the best idea to pull a sickie, it does feel like a bit of a cop out though

So fraud and deceit are not only OK, but you encourage them?
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago you would be expected to drive the Geese down a road that had been covered in tar. They would then be driven over sand to coat their feet for the long walk to market. It's just a bit of fun. Nothing is going to die or get eaten.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    So fraud and deceit are not only OK, but you encourage them?

Ooooh fraud, Ooooh deceit! lol stop being such a massive drama queen.

It's a sickie on a day when no work would be done anyway. It's a much more pragmatic response than advising the op to make a stand over the rights and wrongs of duck herding fgs.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Being vegan is more than just about diet, i don't believe that animals are there for us to use for our pleasure, whether that's for food or entertainment.
    Although, as other people have said, I don't think you have to be vegan to not like the idea of this anyway, I can well imagine that the ducks get scared by the dogs.
    Maybe it is the best idea to pull a sickie, it does feel like a bit of a cop out though

Don't as it will look suspicious, especially if they know you are a vegan.

To be honest I think they should have chose a better place to go to where everyone would be comfortable.

It should be apparent vegans wouldn't be comfortable with this and I wonder if it's been done deliberately to wind you up/ put you in an awkward position.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it too obvious to point out that if the ducks are really "petrified" they would just fly away?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am an ethical vegan myself so I would obviously be totally sympathetic personally.

It is a chance to educate people about what ethical veganism means, or remind people about what veganism is. Something which it's your right to be, and so you have every right to object. I'd fight for your rights, and stand up for the animals, otherwise what's the point in being a vegan? It might stop them organising similar cruel events in the future if they know you won't be happy, and then, you'll be making a difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Is it too obvious to point out that if the ducks are really "petrified" they would just fly away?

The thing is dogs are animals and they could try and kill the ducks.

Years ago I witnessed a poor duck being killed after the dog jumped in to the water and started chasing the duck.

Poor thing tried to get away but it couldn't sadly.
  • Options
    justagirl83justagirl83 Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I've decided I will tell my boss how I feel, it's true that it's best to be honest and true to myself. Like I said, I'm a quiet person, I don't like making a big deal or being the centre of attention, I just want to do things the way I believe is right. And judging by some of the replies here it seems it's difficult for people who don't get it- "nothing's being killed or eaten so what's the problem?" -to understand why I wouldn't want to participate in this. So I just feel awkward to be put in this situation I guess
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'd just say you think it's cruel to the ducks and so don't want to go but you'd be up for going to an animal friendly team outing or out for drinks etc.
  • Options
    carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    What if your boss tells you that you have to do it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What if your boss tells you that you have to do it?

Would he tell a gay person that they have to go to an anti gay rally?

No he/ she wouldn't.

If tries that take him down discrimination/ treating you differently due to beliefs.

It's same thing.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't feel badly about someone who ducked out of a tedious, ill-thought out, corporate event.

Some bosses have no imagination for inclusive jollies.

Just say you feel uncomfortable with the idea and would rather decline (on this occasion).
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you aren't happy with it, tell your boss. She can't force you to do it. I would refuse to do duck herding because I have a phobia of dogs.

The few years ago we had a team building day, and one of the activities was blind fold driving, car is limited to really slow and it's dual control, but having been involved in a bad car accident the year before, I refused to get in the car as either the driver or the navigator. Boss wasn't happy and tried to say I had to, but thankfully the rest of my team were willing to take my turn for me, especially as I had the skills to get them through 3 other challenges that day with flying colours.
    Boss also tried to enforce a dress code of trousers for the day, but being a Christian I only wear skirts. He tried to argue it, but gave up, when the 2 sikhs in the team said they wouldn't be wearing crash helmets for the quad biking, and if it was fine for them for religious reasons, wearing a skirt for religious reasons had to be fine for me.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a ludicrous and pointless team building exercise! How many hours did it take some bright spark to come up with that? :o

I am a city girl so forgive me but is there an actual point to "duck herding"

I am a meat eater and it's not something I'd ever be keen to partake in.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Kathrynha wrote: »
    , but being a Christian I only wear skirts. .

Off topic, but why?

[thinking about it, you never see the pope wearing trousers either]
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boss also tried to enforce a dress code of trousers for the day, but being a Christian I only wear skirts.

Eh? What part of being Christian ever says you can only wear skirts? :confused:

Sikhs are legally exempted from wearing a crash helmet due to the turban. Of course any private company that rightly insists upon crash helmet wear for their activity can also prevent them from taking part in that activity on health and safety grounds.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same dilemma when my team was due to go either on a cookery class or chocolate making. Luckily I moved teams (not because of that!) before the day took place so I didn't have to do anything, but I was planning to tell our team leader that I didn't want to go to such an event. I know there would have been a couple of ignorant people who would have thought I was being difficult for the sake of it, like there have been ignorant people in this thread. But on the whole people are understanding and I doubt your colleagues will care, and if they do they will forget about it in a couple of days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off topic, but why?

[thinking about it, you never see the pope wearing trousers either]

1 Timothy 2:9 - women should dress modestly
    Deuteronomy 22:5 - Women shouldn't wear mens clothes and vice versa

Generally ignored by catholics and anglicans, but Christians that more closely follow the Bible, like Baptists and Penticostals are more likely to follow this.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a ludicrous and pointless team building exercise! How many hours did it take some bright spark to come up with that? :o

I am a city girl so forgive me but is there an actual point to "duck herding"

Yes, the point is to make money for the company that runs it.

The OP's employers have been talked into buying a stupid, unnecessary exercise by a good salesperson. Of course there are good team-building exercises out there but just because it's novel and wacky that doesn't mean it works.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deuteronomy 22:5 - Women shouldn't wear mens clothes and vice versa

I thought even Christians dismissed that book of the Bible as a load of nonsense. Do you follow everything written in Deuteronomy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought even Christians dismissed that book of the Bible as a load of nonsense. Do you follow everything written in Deuteronomy?

Many of the rules in Deuteronomy are overruled in the New Testement, but that one isnt. And I mentioned 1 Timothy first as that is more important. It is impossible to dress modestly in trousers if they are at all fitted.